Good news regarding 50Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
TruFuel makes 50fuel and 40fuel and I think it's great stuff, however, I run 32:1 in my ported chainsaws. I just got off the phone with their tech dept. I told them that I like their product but would feel better if I could run it at 32:1 so I'd like to know what synthetic oil they use in their mix. They have a proprietary oil and it is not available for purchase, but, the good news is it will be availavle online in March. It's not their oil that I find so attractive because I'm very happy with Klotz R50, it's the gas they have. No crap in it. For those of us that can not get non-ethanol gas, this is really great news. Thought I'd pass this along.

Price and availability is everything with these alternative fuels. It seems like many of these fuels are priced too high for most of us. VPs SEF94 is about $50-$55 for 5 gallons. The issues is finding it locally. Shipping and hazmat fees make it just too expensive to have shipped.

Sounds pretty good. The husky dealer sells the 50 fuel and 40 fuel. I won't use much of it because I can still get non ethanol here.

The only fuels we can buy around here without ethanol are 100LL and 110 race gas. Neither one are fuels I want to use.

How much is a 5 gallon pail of this 40 Fuel? I still like the sounds of VPs fuel better, since I can use the oil of my choice.

I've only seen it available in quarts. I didn't ask about gallons as I can go to the pump and get non ethanol 87, 89, and 93 here.

I think it would be a good fuel if you carry a saw around in your truck box to cut limbs out of the road when you go hunting or something like that or someone that just cuts up a little wood for campfires.

I called and talked to VP this morning. The closes source I have to get VP is a couple hours from here. The fuel is $59 for 5 gallons, but it would be $45/pail to have it shipped. So that's not an option.

The SEF is good stuff. You can get it pre-mixed at 40 or 50:1 or get it as straight fuel and add your own oil. I think i have had my jug for almost a year now and my 2171 started up with no problems with the older fuel. It is mixed at 40:1 with Husky XP oil. I don't notice any decrease in performance with the older gas and there is no water in it (I checked). Phase separation doesn't seem to be as big of an issue either. I always shake the can regardless but thought I would check before and after shaking. No difference, scientifically proven with a spectrophotometer. ;)

If you are going to run strictly SEF you will need to lean out your saws a bit, or at least I did. This isn't a big deal but you need to be aware of it when/if you switch over to pump gas. It becomes a big deal if someone else is running your saw.

Price and availability is everything with these alternative fuels. It seems like many of these fuels are priced too high for most of us. VPs SEF94 is about $50-$55 for 5 gallons. The issues is finding it locally. Shipping and hazmat fees make it just too expensive to have shipped.

50Fuel is a LOT more than that, nearly double the cost per gallon. Unless there is a source that sells it by the 5 gallon jug you have to use the quart bottles.

The SEF is good stuff. You can get it pre-mixed at 40 or 50:1 or get it as straight fuel and add your own oil. I think i have had my jug for almost a year now and my 2171 started up with no problems with the older fuel. It is mixed at 40:1 with Husky XP oil. I don't notice any decrease in performance with the older gas and there is no water in it (I checked). Phase separation doesn't seem to be as big of an issue either. I always shake the can regardless but thought I would check before and after shaking. No difference, scientifically proven with a spectrophotometer. ;)

If you are going to run strictly SEF you will need to lean out your saws a bit, or at least I did. This isn't a big deal but you need to be aware of it when/if you switch over to pump gas. It becomes a big deal if someone else is running your saw.

VP also sells the SEF94 in 40:1 and 50:1. The price is only a little higher. Might want to check it out.

I know. ;) I bought my jug about a month before they started to supply it already mixed. If it would have been available I would have probably gone with the 50:1 but not that big of a deal. I just dump in a bottle of XP oil for 5 gallons of mix and shake it around a little bit. For all the schooling I have, you would think that I would have done that before I took a gallon out. That is how I ended up with 40:1.

The 40-Mix and 50-Mix sell locally for $5 to $6 per quart. Sears once had it on sale for $4 per quart. That is $16 TO $24 per gallon for what is plain old pre-ethanol gasoline with oil mix already added. I can still find a few sources locally that have 100% gasoline in all grades, but they all look to getting cut off from their suppliers soon, as the refiners are standardizing on ethanol, since they have a government mandate to use so much ethanol. Congress is about to give another subsidy to the ethanol industry. They slapped a tariff on Brazil-produced ethanol, which Brazil produces more cheaply from sugar cane.

sef 94

I have used sef 94 for a year know . bought it in a five gallon can un mixed at a local parts store for $60.00 and have not had any problems. I have 2 gallons left and only use it in my saws with stihl ultra oil. For me i think the money spent on vp is worth it in the long run.:blob2:

I am surprised that more saw shops haven't got on to this yet. I have not seen it in any dealers up here. They could probably make a decent profit off of homeowners alone. If I remember right the 55gal drum was significantly cheaper than the 5 gallon jug.

I priced the 5 gallon pails at $59. He gave me a price of $800 for a 55 gallon drum. That definately doesn't sound right. It should be cheaper by the drum. That was directly from VP too. A later called a dealer here in Ohio, and he priced the pails to me at $54. I'll have to get back with him on the 55 gallon drum.

I've heard rumors about Stihl Dealers getting Stihl branded fuel soon, no date though. I'm a customer when they do, no matter what the cost and I do use non-ethanol Marine fuel now.

I have used sef 94 for a year know . bought it in a five gallon can un mixed at a local parts store for $60.00 and have not had any problems. I have 2 gallons left and only use it in my saws with stihl ultra oil. For me i think the money spent on vp is worth it in the long run.:blob2:

I'm going to be checking out the VP stuff soon as well. We got a couple dealers close by.

After replacing the fuel lines in about 45 saws of my own the last week, the cost of the VP is not going to bother me much either.

I know its not 50 fuel but I was talking to my stihl rep and asked him when Moto Mix would be available, he said stihls U.S. legal department has been looking into it for 9 months and has no idea how much longer it will take, he did say that it would retail for 8-9 dollars a quart. ouch..

Back