Got a load of Elm, thinking about getting a MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I brought home a nice load of elm last night on my flatbed trailer. There are three more loads where it came from. The picture is slightly deceiving. There is actually quite a bit of wood in the pile. There are several large pieces in the 28"-30" range. There is also a lot of stuff in the 10"-20" range and some around 20-26", a good variety.

DSCN9885.JPG

For the last three firewood seasons I have been using an Echo CS400. It's not the most powerful saw but it gets the job done. Sometimes it takes longer than I want it to. It does good in 10"-16" rounds but anything bigger really drags it down. I actually cut everything in the picture with the CS400, including the big stuff. Still have more of it to buck up, though. I usually stay away from anything over 20" only because it takes the Echo so long to get through it. I feel if I had a saw with more power I could go after some of the larger wood.

I would like to buy a saw that has more power. I dont think I need anything bigger then a 18" bar. I have been thinking about the MS 290 Farm Boss for a while but also like the MS 261 CM. I called the local Stihl dealer today. He is running a special on the MS 290 Farm Boss until the end of the year for $389 plus tax with a 18" bar. The MS 261 CM is $619 plus tax. He said you just can't beat the MS 290 Farm Boss for power to price ratio. The only thing I use a chainsaw for is cutting wood for the wood stove. The Echo has done a fine job the last couple years but I would like to have something with more power. I want to cut more wood in the same amount of time I spend now.

I know the 261 is a pro saw so it is a lighter saw. The dealer told me that the 290 will do all the work that the 261 will do but it's just a little bit heavier. But I won't be using it all day everyday. It is only going to be used as my personal firewood saw. What are your thoughts on the two saws? It is a $230 price difference. I also considered the MS 391 which is $579. As the dealer told me you can't beat the Farm Boss for it's price to power ratio. He told me he sells 2-3 MS 290's per week.

Thanks

I do not have a 290 but I do have a ported 261 and really enjoy it. Very nice saw to run it has an 18" bar and .325 .063 chain. I also have a 391, nice saw for the money, it has a 20" b/c. I think you will be very happy with the 261.

Thats a great saw the 290..it will suit your needs fine. The 18" bar is no problem through any wood but a 20" may be a little slow on harder oak.

there isn't much my 290 won't handle. even that big ash in my avatar or this oak wasn't a problem.

Attachments

• IMAG12511705781184.jpg
    IMAG12511705781184.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Im not at all a Stihl guy.....but the 290 with 18 inch bar sounds like the ticket for your needs ! As the others have said...thats what the 290 is for . Did you check out the MS 311 ? I dont know jack about it..just see it had enough h.p. to pull a 20 inch bar....which you may wanna consider for cuttin those big old logs !! Maybe it is not a good option..IDK .. That 290 deal seems hard to beat !
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms311/

I bought my 290 about a year ago and haven't looked back. Cut a lot with it this spring when a late season ice storm came through. Mostly smaller limbs but all green and ate them like butter. It got a hell of a workout this fall when we cleared part of a grove out for a new shed. Cut about 45 maple, ash, and mulberry that averaged 18 inch diameter. Kept the chain sharp and it never squawked a bit.
Now if only I had them all bucked and split!

I have 7 or 8 pro saws from 70 to 100 cc, then a little Echo 305 14", and needed something in the middle. Bought the 290 several years ago and have never regretted it, joe.

290 is a nice saw, but heavy and hard to rebuild. I would look for a nice used husky on the AS trade n post. I think I saw a 372 up there and a 359. Now those are some great firewood saws.:rolleyes: Check out the sweet 262 nmurph is selling on the trade n post. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I like Elm, I like how the bark sheds off and how nice it is to "split" with my ported 2171. That pile looks to be already bucked to length for the most part, do you have a hydraulic splitter? If you are planning to noodle the larger rounds I'd say minimum of a 60cc pro saw, and there are some really good ones on the market. Stihl 362, Husky 562/Jonsered 2260, Dolmar 6100, and I'm thinking about a new Echo CS-620 myself. A buddy of mine just bought a 290 last spring and it's a great saw but guess who he calls to noodle the large rounds of Elm? I guess bottom line if you like the weight of the 261 that'd be a good choice although it isn't going to work for noodling. If the weight and bulk of the 290 isn't a factor then a pro 60cc saw is a way better option and can do some noodling.

Here is a video of how I handle the big rounds. Some guys noodle just to halve or quarter the rounds, I say screw it and cut the whole round into firewood size pieces.

I like Elm, I like how the bark sheds off and how nice it is to "split" with my ported 2171. That pile looks to be already bucked to length for the most part, do you have a hydraulic splitter? If you are planning to noodle the larger rounds I'd say minimum of a 60cc pro saw, and there are some really good ones on the market. Stihl 362, Husky 562/Jonsered 2260, Dolmar 6100, and I'm thinking about a new Echo CS-620 myself. A buddy of mine just bought a 290 last spring and it's a great saw but guess who he calls to noodle the large rounds of Elm? I guess bottom line if you like the weight of the 261 that'd be a good choice although it isn't going to work for noodling. If the weight and bulk of the 290 isn't a factor then a pro 60cc saw is a way better option and can do some noodling.

Here is a video of how I handle the big rounds. Some guys noodle just to halve or quarter the rounds, I say screw it and cut the whole round into firewood size pieces.

BRAVO!!!!! Marc, brother that's one of the best video's I've seen on practical noodling...masterful job sir!:clap:
btw...think my Stihl 034 with 20 inc bar/chisel chain can do that????

BRAVO!!!!! Marc, brother that's one of the best video's I've seen on practical noodling...masterful job sir!:clap:
btw...think my Stihl 034 with 20 inc bar/chisel chain can do that????

Sure Reg, your 034 should noodle just fine. Used my 290 for some noodling several weeks ago. Good sharp chain, and it was throwing 2.5"-3" noodles. Stuffed a couple bags full for tinder. Even made a swedish candle.

As a long time 290 owner I agree it is a decent saw but when compared to a ported pro saw ( 261' 361 441 etc ), you are giving up a lot of performance compared to saws that weigh about the same. Faster cutting times means less fatigue . Since I got my ported husky 365 my poor old 290 rarely gets used. The power and speed of a properly tuned pro saw makes cutting a whole lot funner Do yourself a favour and at least try and run a more powerful saw before you buy. Bit of a hike from Colorado to Ontario but your welcome to come and give my 365 a try anytime.

Last edited:
Back