Grenade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning, GRAPHIC content!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I just got a lemmon. My 97 Ford 250 is bullet proof, but I have to work on that stinkin' Powerstroke more than anything else I have. I'm thinking about droppin' a Cummins in it.

Andy

That would be the best thing to do if you're tired of working on the stroke. Get a engine out of a 89-93 with the VE pump. They won't make big power but pull just as good as the newer engines and are better on fuel than any cummins they ever put in a pickup. They only take about 4 wires to get running too.

That would be the best thing to do if you're tired of working on the stroke. Get a engine out of a 89-93 with the VE pump. They won't make big power but pull just as good as the newer engines and are better on fuel than any cummins they ever put in a pickup. They only take about 4 wires to get running too.

That's what I was thinking about. Either that or sell the Ford & buy an old Dodge that already had the engine I wanted.
It dosen't take big power to pull good, just good gearing. There's a lot of semi's out there that are only pushing 250 horses or so.
I'd also like to figure out a way to put a 3 speed behind the 5 speed in it, and still keep the 4x4 intact. It's a shame that US Gear quit making their splitter.

Andy

I put six of those POS oem lift pumps on before going to a FASS Fuel system. No problem since. Some After market stuff is good. Some of it is China crap.

I got so danged tired of changing those Carter lift pumps that I put a new cam in with a lobe to drive the old 12 valve lift pump. Never given it a second thought since.

Tell me more about the VE pump. I'm interested.

My vote would be for the P7100. More power, easy to build up big power with even the lower powered p-pumps. Plenty of driveability with the right turbo.

i'm not gonna lie, i didnt read all 24 pages of this but i have seen snowmobile engines where the piston-to-cylinder clearance was excessive and it will hammer the skirts as the piston goes up and over tdc and will cause the skirt to shatter like that. did you mic. the piston and measure the bore before assembly? i'd say that or the piston was pretty weak. theres no signs of overheating, seizure, or detonation so it must have been a mechanical breakage. unless the thing was w.f.o. a snagged ring wouldn't have caused carnage like that...
and yeah, o.e.m. truck parts have gone south in the last 10 years. i work on a fleet and have gotten sick and tired of opening up "genuine g.m." or ford parts and seeing "made in mexico" or worse: "made in china"... junk!

i'm not gonna lie, i didnt read all 24 pages of this but i have seen snowmobile engines where the piston-to-cylinder clearance was excessive and it will hammer the skirts as the piston goes up and over tdc and will cause the skirt to shatter like that. did you mic. the piston and measure the bore before assembly? i'd say that or the piston was pretty weak. theres no signs of overheating, seizure, or detonation so it must have been a mechanical breakage. unless the thing was w.f.o. a snagged ring wouldn't have caused carnage like that...
and yeah, o.e.m. truck parts have gone south in the last 10 years. i work on a fleet and have gotten sick and tired of opening up "genuine g.m." or ford parts and seeing "made in mexico" or worse: "made in china"... junk!

Oh yeah, this thread did start out about a grenaded chainsaw.
Ok, snap to guy's. Back on topic. :hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

I can see you guys know it all when it comes to oem parts! I'm not nears as smart or as informed as you guys, I just deal with them every day all day. When you turn wrenches for a living you learn a few things about quality.

Maybe you should do your math before you tell us we know it all...Who makes AC Delco pumps?...:confused:...Delphi which is owned and operated by GM...

Tell me more about the VE pump. I'm interested.

They are very similar to some of the volkswagon engines used in the 80s. I don't have a picture of one on my computer to show you. The have a rotor head that looks almost like a distributor cap with injector lines instead of spark plugs wires. I think if someone is going to use one without trying to get over 350hp and 850ish on torque the VE is the way to go. The P7100s are great at big power but that is not what he is after.

I would get a Mitusa or Fuel boss before I spent the time to change a cam out.

Pfffft....:monkey:

Back