Harbor Freight 6.5 hp engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's more of an assumption.
I recently received one of those "e-mail fliers" with coupons from Harbor Freight. One of the coupons was for the 6.5 ($95.99) and the picture of the engine had big red letters stating, "CLEARANCE", across the top.

So I go to the Harbor Freight web site and check out the engine page. They still show all the "blue" Greyhound engines but also show a line of "black" Predator engines with an expected availability of May 2011. The "black" Predator line pretty much mirrors the "blue" Greyhound line in size and shaft configuration. I did notice that the new "black" 11 HP isn't electric start like the "blue" Greyhound.

If you look real close at the pictures the "black" Predators look an awful much like an updated version of the "blue" Greyhounds...

I see. I have the flyer that came in the mail and it doesn't mention the new engines. The box that the 6.5HP engine that I bought says made by Greyhound....distributed exclusively by Harbor Freight tools. Maybe Harbor made a new deal with a new manufacturer for distribution rights.

Think I will down and pick up a 2.5 HP this afternoon for the conveyor...25%off Easter day special....:hmm3grin2orange:

They better have one when i get there...:smile2:

I would like to have the 2.5 for my conveyor. The 6.5 was cheaper and if my splitter engine ever goes out I can swap the conveyor if needed.

Scott

I would like to have the 2.5 for my conveyor. The 6.5 was cheaper and if my splitter engine ever goes out I can swap the conveyor if needed.

Scott

I walked out the door with a 2 year no questions asked warrenty for $59.24...

I thought about the 6.5 but it would be 2 big for the application...

I'll have to check that out. Do you know if it has the same shaft size as the 6.5. I don't want to have to get another clutch. I wish I could slow my conveyor down. Can I change the springs in the clutch to make it grab at a slower speed?

Scott

I'll have to check that out. Do you know if it has the same shaft size as the 6.5. I don't want to have to get another clutch. I wish I could slow my conveyor down. Can I change the springs in the clutch to make it grab at a slower speed?

Scott

Do you know what brand clutch it is? If it's a Comet, well, it's very easy to make the engagement rpm lower by swapping out a spring. (remember, that spring is under compression...)

I just ordered one to replace the tired 5HP Briggs on my old front tine tiller. Total was $91.13 shipped after the 25% off coupon.

I just ordered one with the 25% off Easter coupon. $88.97 shipped to my door. You can't beat that. There is a Harbor Freight store about 30 miles from me, but it would cost me $10-$15 in gas and the time. Instead, I paid $10.99 to ship it to my door.

I have an 80's model Troy Bilt Junior tiller that I bought this for. The Tecumseh motor that is on it is running fine right now, but Tecumseh parts are getting harder to find. I cannot even rebuild that Tecumseh motor for $90. So, it was a no-brainer to get the HF engine. You guys that are thinking about getting one better hurry up and do so before these are gone. It looks like the Predator replacement is going to run $179.99.

There is a Harbor Freight store about 30 miles from me, but it would cost me $10-$15 in gas and the time. Instead, I paid $10.99 to ship it to my door.

Same here.

Scott

Shaft size is smaller...Although i saw what looked to be 2 different 6.5 motors there...so...not 100%

Bought 2 today for our splitters, installed one and second pull started up. Need to mod the muffler,blows over hyd hoses but the rest went great. Not one for extended warr. but manager said new engine is coming out and in a couple of years bring this one back for exchange no questioned asked all in house no third party crap to go thru. Plus it was only 20 dollars so worth the gamble.

For any of you that are going to use this motor for a go kart, I have put a link to a very helpful forum. The biggest question I had was how to rig up a throttle linkage with a spring return. This forum shows 6 different solutions to that, plus a bunch of helpful shop stuff.

Helpful Links From The Forum - DIY Go Kart Forum

Backup on Board

Bought a backup engine for my splitter today. I figure if the old one gets vandalized somehow, I can replace it. As long as I change oil about ever 50 hours, the old one should run about forever. However, a $95 insurance policy seems cheap. :msp_wink:

Word has it the new line of engines will bump the Hp to 7, but I can't believe the price will drop below $95. And, I have enough power the way it is.

Just a little heads up. I was in the store this weekend with a 20% off entire purchase coupon. The cashier told me the greyhound engines were on clearance until they were gone. I picked up a 6.5hp engine for $60 and an 11hp electric start for $122 with the coupon. The sale prices are $75 and $159 respectively. The 2.5hp engine was still regular price in the store.

Just a little heads up. I was in the store this weekend with a 20% off entire purchase coupon. The cashier told me the greyhound engines were on clearance until they were gone. I picked up a 6.5hp engine for $60 and an 11hp electric start for $122 with the coupon. The sale prices are $75 and $159 respectively. The 2.5hp engine was still regular price in the store.

Wow, great prices. I went by our local HF store and they have already sold out.

I just ordered this 6.5 horse motor on line. price was 74 bucks and change...$10.99 to ship it to me...such a deal!!!..Gotta repower my Troybilt Pony tiller...the old Tecumseh has about seen the cookie so time to replace it. I can't rebuild the old Tecumseh for less than what I can replace it with....besides...parts are getting harder and harder to find.

:rock::rock::rock:

Yep, I see its $74...I have a HF about 5 miles away...might head down and pick one up....

Sure looks like a Suby Robin clone....

Yep, I see its $74...I have a HF about 5 miles away...might head down and pick one up....

Sure looks like a Suby Robin clone....

Folks have mentioned that they believe it is a Chinese made Honda clone...I really don't know. As long as it runs good an makes the tines on my tiller do some rootin' and gruntin', I'll be a happy camper. Should be here within 3 to 7 days which is perfect for me. Around here, we plant out gardens around Memorial day weekend to make sure all hard frosts are behind us.

Latest posts

Back