Heli Logger's Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
372 sells for about $1100.00 around here.

i can get a brand new 660 here for $1000

yes and yes.
Husky just costs more here

If I were buying my own gear I would probably buy Stihl in Canada; especially when you consider that a 200T is a must have it just makes sense to get a Stihl 90cc saw as well. Means one place to stop for parts and probably even better pricing when buying two saws from the same dealer.

passport time

So I guess I'll have to buy a few saws in Canada. Any shops in the eastern or maritime provinces I should be aware of? Being in Maine people consider us to be in Canada already. I guess my cousins in Millinocket that have somehow kept the Quebecois/Fort Kent accent doesn't help the argument.

I like to watch a show that I can learn something from. And thats even if I won't likely use anything professionally. Maybe consider some ideas for a "selected harvest" gig or for getting stuff for my own projects.

The two shops that I hit the most are in Lincoln and in Brewer. The one in Lincoln carries stihl, jonsered, husqvarna and echo and the sizes are all over the place. Theres a 390xp and a 660 there at the moment which is fairly rare. Its mostly a 2171/2165 or 440/460 or smaller area (saw a special order 200t the other day)though I know theres bigger saws around (there was a 111s being fixed up while mine was). Its not exclusively a saw shop and has yard tractors etc as well (power equipment). The shop in brewer is a storefront at a distributor so there can be anything there as well.

I don't think the advertising tags are that important and what really matters is what you need to survive out there, what keeps the overhead low.. and what fits at the moment. Heck lets just go get those new Oregon Jackets and order helmets and chaps before they get retagged. Oh and I'd say cutting season and temps have something to do with it too. Heck lets all get sponsored by Underarmour!!

In one episode a guy pinches the bar on a 200T that he borrowed from his buddy and buggers it a bit reefing on it. The Buddy was genuinely un freaking happy about it just like you or I would be if a borrowed tool got abused.

Also, I wear my Husky chaps while running my Stihl saws and I even wear a Stihl hat when running my Husky saws while using an Oregon bar with Stihl chain. In fact I even have a Dewalt drill that lives right beside a Milwaukee circ saw. The guys run Husky and Stihl because all pro loggers run Husky and Stihl. They don't buy some obscure hard to find bargain priced saws that they can't get repaired locally
Exactly! At the time, husky was all the shops stocked... stihl was more reliable as often we had to leave saws on the hill for long weather periods, husky saws were lighter, but didn’t seem to hold up...

we ran larger driver sprockets and thinner chain to make them cut as well as a husky which typically has a higher rpm, and although “wcb” had clamped down on saw mods most of us did it anyway as we would rather have a saw that can cut out of problems than pinch and die.

ive noticed Kurtis looks like hes usually using a small non-tophandle stihl while climbing..14-16" bar on it, maybe a 260?
every other guy i see using only 200t's or big stihls up in the trees, ive only seen one of the fallers using a big husky, everyone else so far seems to be all stihl
Kurt does climb with an 026 with the non restricted carb... he used a short cannon bar also.... so basically same bar length as an 020, much more power... and better cutting with the 3/8 chain. Easier to file also.

MS200T, 660 and 880 + Husky 385/390xp are those I remember for sure, but I believe there was at least one appearance of a larger Husky as well - there is some time since I saw the series, so memory is fading.....:)

One thing that surpriced me, was that they didn't seem to bring spare chain into the woods! :jawdrop:
We all had Spare chains, most of the gear is left at the pad however, as we were flown onto the hill daily from wherever... packing all that crap around was half the work...

Latest posts

Back