Help a rookie decide on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineRidgeAcres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone-
I ran across this great site doing a google search trying to research saws, and thought this seemed like about the best place to gain knowledge.
My situation is this; I have recently purchased about 50 acres. This property has been in our family for 4 generations now, so Ill will have it for many years to come, until I have children or family to pass it on too.
(Now to the chainsaw question)
My father has a very small and very light Homelight. After attempting to do some bigger cutting with it a couple of weeks ago, it began acting very stressed.
I have decided to purchase my own.
Id like one be still be somewhat light (I like how easy to use my fathers small one is). But still have plenty of grunt.

About 95% of the cutting I will be doing is recreational light stuff, for the campfires we have when we are there. Id say usually stuff not too much bigger than the fat end of a baseball bat.

BUT, someday a fallen tree or something may cause the need to arise to do some heavy cutting, and I at least want the ability to do that if ever need be.

I have been primarily looking at Husqvarna saws. I somewhat have it narrowed down to either the 350, the 359, or the 346xp.

I like the specs on the 346, but Ive read because of the high engine speed, it is very stressful on the engine, resulting in reliability problems. Ive also read the higher rpm makes them less user-friendly; because of both a peaky powerband, and more violent kickback.

Any recommendations, advice, input, etc. on this would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Do a search on this site and read carefully!!! I think the 350 is fine machine, for light cutting/occasional use. From what I have seen and read and price wise, leave the 346 out of the eqation, too much money, not enough saw! The 359 has had rave reviews on here and if you are going to cut a lot would be a good choice, I learned, the hard way, try and by a saw bigger than what you need, it's easier on you and the saw, then if you need a little more saw in the future, you have it now!! Go handle them, check out dealers that is the biggest issue it seems right now, finding a good dealer. And as I always say, you have to run it, not us!
Andy

There is a some confusion. High chain speed is not increasing kickback, but rather decreases its probability. High chain speed is good for limbing as the small weigth and dimensions of saw too. For brush I recommend but saw blade with proper guard on brushcutter. More effective and easier to work.

Thanks for the replies!

I actually just came back from Lowes, and handled the 350, the 359, and the Rancher 455.

I dont think Ill purchase there though, they are very, very high.

The 455 seems like too much money and weight for just .2 horsepower over the 350.

I thought the 346 looked decent, considering its light weight (about same as 350??) but yet having what, about half horsepower more?
But if you say not enough saw for the money, thanks so much for the input!

After handling them though, the weight and size seemed ok, so it seems 10-12 lbs is about right.

I've studied the specs long enough to make me dizzy, so hearing actual opinions from experienced people is priceless.

Welcome to ArboristSite!

Yours is a fairly common story, and the usual answer is this:

If you're aiming to buy a Husqvarna, 350, 353, and 359 are your three best choices. 346 has a powerband that is more "specialized" than is necessary for an all-around chainsaw, and the 455 is heavier than it needs to be.

Of the three "good" choices, I would go with the 353. It is built on the same chassis as the 346 (magnesium case!) but with a different piston/cylinder and different powerband - wider, more torque. I think this is a great platform for limbing, trimming, and taking down/cutting up reasonably sized trees. I almost bought one myself before a nice used Stihl 026Pro came my way. I would put a 16" bar on it for everyday use, and have a 20" for those instances when the extra length is necessary.

The extra $50 that the 353 commands over the 350 seems well-spent to get a pro-grade magnesium chassis. The 359 is also a fine saw, but I don't feel that you're getting enough additional power for the extra weight; many others will disagree and argue that the 359 is a LOT more saw. I'd rather err on the side of light weight, where the 353 excels.

In any case, you're looking at good saws, so whatever you choose should be able to provide many years of excellent service!

I am with you on the 455, too much wiehgt for the power gained vs. the 350, there is someone on this site that swears by them, I dunno, never ran one? I do stand behind the 350, it cut 100 cord of wood 2 winters ago, three bars and six chains latter still starts right up wanting to cut more wood!! Hold of on the 346, maybe someone else will chime in with better specs and knoledge of it, I just think you're money is better spent with the 350/359?
Andy

computeruser said:
Welcome to ArboristSite!

Yours is a fairly common story, and the usual answer is this:

If you're aiming to buy a Husqvarna, 350, 353, and 359 are your three best choices. 346 has a powerband that is more "specialized" than is necessary for an all-around chainsaw, and the 455 is heavier than it needs to be.

Of the three "good" choices, I would go with the 353. It is built on the same chassis as the 346 (magnesium case!) but with a different piston/cylinder and different powerband - wider, more torque. I think this is a great platform for limbing, trimming, and taking down/cutting up reasonably sized trees. I almost bought one myself before a nice used Stihl 026Pro came my way. I would put a 16" bar on it for everyday use, and have a 20" for those instances when the extra length is necessary.

The extra $50 that the 353 commands over the 350 seems well-spent to get a pro-grade magnesium chassis. The 359 is also a fine saw, but I don't feel that you're getting enough additional power for the extra weight; many others will disagree and argue that the 359 is a LOT more saw. I'd rather err on the side of light weight, where the 353 excels.

In any case, you're looking at good saws, so whatever you choose should be able to provide many years of excellent service!

I really do need to work on that:bang:
Welcome to ArboristSite!!!!!!!!

Ask, and yee shall recieve!!:cheers:
Andy

353... I have one and love it an awesome little saw. I have cut everything from 30 inch elm to small white pine never missed a beat great little saw you will love it. I had a small homelite before and also killed it on some bigger stuff. The 353 handles it all

Ok, I did a search, and Ive been reading this entire time :help: .

So.....not sure I like the peakiness of the 346.
I might want a little more saw than the 350.
I noticed there were some favorable opinions of the 357, but Id like to keep the saw under $500.

This leaves me with the 353 or the 359.....or so I would think.

But then I read that the 359 cant keep up with a 346 :bang:

The 359 looks like it has a lot of oomph on paper :confused:

Also, $405 for a 359 w/18" bar pretty good deal?

I realize this stuff has been talked about before, but all the threads are just a little different, and always offer something new, so again, much appreciated, keep it coming!

Awww, heck, is the 357 worth the extra $100 over the 359 ???

I mean, its sort of more than I wanted to spend, but will I be pleased that I did?

Or should I save some $$$$ and go with the 359, or even the 346, or 353? :cry:

If you want to save some $$, go to the Home Depot up on Mid Rivers Mall Dr, and see if you can buy a decent Makita/Dolmar 6401 from their rental department for $205.

Andy

PineRidgeAcres said:
.... The 455 seems like too much money and weight for just .2 horsepower over the 350.
That is a good observation - by all means forget the 455.
It is a power to weigh dud - probably designed to score EPA points for Husky by mass sales to less than knowlegable people - so they are allowed to sell more of thir much better, but "dirtier" saws.
computeruser said:
... If you're aiming to buy a Husqvarna, 350, 353, and 359 are your three best choices. 346 has a powerband that is more "specialized" than is necessary for an all-around chainsaw, and the 455 is heavier than it needs to be.

Of the three "good" choices, I would go with the 353. It is built on the same chassis as the 346 (magnesium case!) but with a different piston/cylinder and different powerband - wider, more torque. I think this is a great platform for limbing, trimming, and taking down/cutting up reasonably sized trees. ...
I agree 100,0 %!:clap:

Andy1234 said:
If you want to save some $$, go to the Home Depot up on Mid Rivers Mall Dr, and see if you can buy a decent Makita/Dolmar 6401 from their rental department for $205.

I would still suggest the Husqvarna 353 for a "one saw" guy. That said, an ex-Rental 6401 isn't a bad idea, actually, though it will leave you wanting a smaller, lighter saw for the little jobs. It is physically a big saw, not a good all-around saw, but for $205 it leaves you with room in your budget for a second, small saw. Let's see...HomeDepot 6401 for the bigger jobs, and CaseyForrest is selling his Stihl MS180...

More on the HomeDepot saws: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32768

An ex-HomeDepot Rental that I bought for a friend of mine:

resized_HD_6401_Makita_02a.jpg

I cut on my 33 acre woodlot and do what you say you're going to do.
I used a pro 4 cubic inch saw for 30 years; it's more than you need (although I didn't get rid of it).
My 350 is ideal. So far as I can tell, the only difference between a 350 and a 353 is a negligible amount of power and a plastic case (like a Glock). You'll never wear out a 350, you're not a pro and you'll never notice a difference between a 350 and 353.
I use 95VP or Bailey's 20NK for hardwood, round chisel for softwood and I don't miss the extra weight of the bigger saw.

Jim Mesthene said:
I cut on my 33 acre woodlot and do what you say you're going to do.
I used a pro 4 cubic inch saw for 30 years; it's more than you need (although I didn't get rid of it).
My 350 is ideal. So far as I can tell, the only difference between a 350 and a 353 is a negligible amount of power and a plastic case (like a Glock). You'll never wear out a 350, you're not a pro and you'll never notice a difference between a 350 and 353.
I use 95VP or Bailey's 20NK for hardwood, round chisel for softwood and I don't miss the extra weight of the bigger saw.

Nothing like the voice of experience.

OK, so what about stepping up a few notches, like the 346, 359, or 357.

I guess my main questions there are:

Is the 346 really that peaky?

Does the 359 have a decent amount of grunt for the price?

and the big question;

Is the 357 worth the cash over the 359 for the way I will be using it?

It is more money than I want to spend, but if its a situation that once I get cutting it will put a big smile on my face, then I dont mine forking over the cash.....

...on the other hand, If a step down would be more than enough, and already have me smiling, then theres no reason to go the extra $$$.

PineRidgeAcres said:
About 95% of the cutting I will be doing is recreational light stuff, for the campfires we have when we are there. Id say usually stuff not too much bigger than the fat end of a baseball bat.

BUT, someday a fallen tree or something may cause the need to arise to do some heavy cutting, and I at least want the ability to do that if ever need be.

Small jobs every now and then call for a small, light saw. People on this site will try and talk you up and up in models.

For a fallen tree, a small saw will cut OK, just slowly. If you are felling medium to large trees you need a fast enough saw to do it safely, but that doesn't sound like what you are doing.

The 346xp/350/353/359 saws are great, and I'd be happy enough with any of them. They are more saw that you really need.

Yeah, Im probably over analyzing this whole thing. I just wanted to make sure that if im going to spend $350, maybe I could spend $400 and get more saw, and then maybe $450, and so on....it becomes a viscous cycle with me.

At this point, Im thinking maybe either the 357 or the 359.

The reason is, because I handled a 359, and really didnt mind the weight over the 350 or 353, and its absolutly in my budget.
I'd just go pick up a 350, but I dont know what I might get into some day on my property. If I ever do get into a lot of heavy cutting, I want to have as much saw as possible--within my budget.

I am however getting ready to head up to a few Home Depots, so can anyone tell me how the weight of those 6401's will compare to the 359?

PineRidgeAcres said:
Yeah, Im probably over analyzing this whole thing. I just wanted to make sure that if im going to spend $350, maybe I could spend $400 and get more saw, and then maybe $450, and so on....it becomes a viscous cycle with me.

Welcome to the club! The real challenge is determining what you need, what you don't need, and then settling on best way to meet your true needs. Left unchecked, the cycle WILL take control!

PineRidgeAcres said:
At this point, Im thinking maybe either the 357 or the 359.

Great saws, both.

PineRidgeAcres said:
The reason is, because I handled a 359, and really didnt mind the weight over the 350 or 353, and its absolutly in my budget.
I'd just go pick up a 350, but I dont know what I might get into some day on my property. If I ever do get into a lot of heavy cutting, I want to have as much saw as possible--within my budget.

Hey, nothing wrong with that logic! As long as it is an informed decision then you should be content with your purchase and won't be kicking yourself for not researching/handling/thinking.

PineRidgeAcres said:
I am however getting ready to head up to a few Home Depots, so can anyone tell me how the weight of those 6401's will compare to the 359?

They're about 14lbs or thereabouts, versus 12.1lb (claimed) for the 359. They feel noticably heavier than a 10.5-12lb saw, especially when limbing or toting the saw around. Because of the weight, I would never buy one new - I can get 80cc in the same sized package for a few dollars more. But we're talking used here, so that issue really doesn't apply. The biggest virtue to the ex-HomeDepot Rental 6401 is price - a $205 saw that as-is will work respectably with a 20" bar or even 24" bar with skip chain AND which, for another $180 or so, can have a 7900/7901 piston/cylinder swapped in making for a $400 80cc 14lb saw. That said, the 6401 that I picked up last month really impressed me, seeming almost equivilent to my 7900 (same platform but 80cc) in smaller wood. Assuming you get a good one, it is a heck of a deal at $205. But if it isn't what you really need or want, then get what you need/want instead - you're going to have to live with the saw, so it should be something that feels good to you and meets your needs.

PineRidgeAcres said:
I handled a 359, and really didnt mind the weight over the 350 or 353, and its absolutly in my budget.
You'll feel differently about the weight after your 3rd tank of gas.
Do you expect to be using this saw in 20 years? How are you going to feel about the extra pounds then?

Back