Help a rookie decide on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326 said:
Cool, glad to see you in here. Have they cleaned up all the trees after Katrina down there, that should have been a saw heaven for you in sales. I'm sure that mess kept you hopping...

It was a Great boost in sales. Keeping the numbers up this year is gonna be another story i have a few dealers that overbought and are still selling last years stock. most of the trees are cleaned up and i am Hoping to get back into my home early next month.

Jonsered Rep said:
It was a Great boost in sales. Keeping the numbers up this year is gonna be another story i have a few dealers that overbought and are still selling last years stock. most of the trees are cleaned up and i am Hoping to get back into my home early next month.

Well don't speak too fast, those dealers may well be glad they have a overstock because the hurricane season is here again. Sounds like your running your butt off which is good, means your selling, good job...

THALL10326 said:
Well don't speak too fast, those dealers may well be glad they have a overstock because the hurricane season is here again. Sounds like your running your butt off which is good, means your selling, good job...

Thank you Thall

Way To Go Sap!!!!!!

THALL10326 said:
Dayumm you Sap I wasn't gonna give you credit but your post above is the correct answer for what the guy is looking for. He needs at least two saws for what he is wanting to do in comfort. Sap are you feeling ok, you either been playing for a long time and have decided to be striaght for a change. Regardless you got it right on this thread....

:bowdown: :bowdown: Very well done indeed!!!!!! I have also been following you're other posts today, and even being provoked by others, you have been nothing but a pleasure to read and converse with!!
Thank you,
Andy

Hello all-

First I want to thank all of you that took the time and thought to give me advice and info. I could have memorized every specification and stat on every saw, but that doesnt do me near as good as hearing how the saws actually perform and becoming knowledgable to their characteristics.

So, here's an update;

Im heading out tomorrow morning to make a possible purchase. There are a few new factors that have come up that have influenced my decision, but Ill clue you in on that after I reveal my decision (dont want to give it away).

So, if all goes well on here, my next post will be pictures of my new saw.

Thanks again for all your help :cheers:

Paul61 said:
.... Pros. like the SawTroll here have the real info. ..
Thank you, but I am far from a pro, just an informed and interested amateur.....:D

I felled this old birch about 3 yards from our cabin last friday, and cut it up for firewood, because it had started rotting and was (partly) coveredinsap.....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
rbtree said:
... 346 has better filtration, antivib, more streamlined package...less good powerband stock, and outboard clutch. ....
As far as I know, the outboard cluch is a tradeoff to make the package more streamlined, and getting the cutting attachment closer to the lengthwise axis of gravity ....

It is more important when limbing than when felling.

Last edited:
Jonsered Rep said:

There are lots of people who just want to be prepared. Running a line like "Hurricane season again, have YOU got a saw?" will sell a lot of saws the year after a disaster. Tends to get a bit worn out after two years though... :)

coveredinsap said:
Wrong again. You really should just give it up. The Husky 346xp is a 45cc 'pro' saw. The Echo CS-440 is a 45cc 'pro' saw. A less expensive choice would be the Husky 142, a 40cc saw. All of them are decent, light 40cc - 45cc saws...and if you have a saw in that cc range, you'll find that you reach for it a lot more than the big shelf queens....er, 'kings'.

Echo makes pro saws. Considering they sell through Home Depot I would not consider anything from them pro anymore.

1CallLandscape said:
Rb's right stihls are awesome but the cost an arm and a leg. i just scored a used 026pro on ebay for 100$ all it needed was a bar and chain, runs frikin sweet. maybe thats the way to go for a saw.

-mike

Thats amazing. I've been watching Ebay a long time, and used Stihls always seem to go for almost RETAIL price.

But good for you!

:cheers:

SawTroll said:
Hello PineRidge!

Could you please give us an update?

What saw did you end up with?

Hello!

Sure, here ya go http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33527

So far so good. The saw still starts within a few pulls cold, and one pull warm/hot everytime.
The HomeLite is also holding up great.

We had some servere storms roll through here this summer, one on a Wednesday and another Friday, where almost EVERY yard had some branches/trees down.

I was pretty proud of myself, as I took the pair out along with my trailer, and made myself some good $$$$.

Another test will be deer season coming up, as I have a lot of firewood to cut up for deer camp.

I have been on the site on a regular basis, I just dont post much, as the fellas here are quite knowledgable, and I just dont have anything to contribute :D

Thanks for asking!

SawTroll said:
...... or just get the 353, and add a bigger saw later if you find out that you really need it.

This is exactly right, the 353 is worth the extra $50 over the 350 and the 357/359/361 will get heavy if you try to limb with it. A stihl 260 is a decent saw also but would be more money.

If you are going to the "Two Saw Theory" and it's still a choice between 350/353/359, I'd opt for the 353 now. For the second saw later, I would get something in the 70cc class.

If it's only going to be one purchase, I'd pick the 359. I'd also get a 16" bar for it, to go with the 20" it comes with.

Just Mow said:
Echo makes pro saws. Considering they sell through Home Depot I would not consider anything from them pro anymore.

I'm trying to understand this statment.
Does Echo make there saws with less Quality whan there are shipped to home Depot?

manual said:
I'm trying to understand this statment.
Does Echo make there saws with less Quality whan there are shipped to home Depot?
no but in order to supply someone that large the quality starts going down in order to make a profit due to HD squeezeing all of the Echo profit away. Look at what happened to the other manufacturers that have gone this route, where are they today.

trimmmed said:
If you are going to the "Two Saw Theory" and it's still a choice between 350/353/359, I'd opt for the 353 now. For the second saw later, I would get something in the 70cc class.

If it's only going to be one purchase, I'd pick the 359. I'd also get a 16" bar for it, to go with the 20" it comes with.

If you are advising me, I appreciate it, but this thread is about 4 months old, and I already made my purchase.

SawTroll was wondering what the outcome was, and I was bumping this to the top so he would see my update, which is a few posts back now.

Thanks though!

Back