Help a rookie decide on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PineRidgeAcres said:
I am however getting ready to head up to a few Home Depots, so can anyone tell me how the weight of those 6401's will compare to the 359?
Both weight more than adverticed, but the Husky is the worst case.

As far as I know, the real difference is about 1 1/3 lbs (6.4 vs 5.8 kg = .6 kg).

Neither of those models has a very good power to weight ratio, the MS361 has an excellent one......:clap:

For comparison, the 353 weight 5.1 kg, the 357xp 5.9 kg and the MS361 5.6 kg - all weights without bar and chain, and according to independent test reports from DLG and KWF.

Last edited:
Good advice Saw, Ya see Pineridge, Pros. like the SawTroll here have the real info. it's the other biased morons (Sappy) ya gotta ignore.
Good luck with whatever ya buy, my .002, stay away from the box store junk.
:cheers:

Set myself up for that one.didn't I, paul....Just trying to even the score, and give sap a chance to catch up....or course he coulda been a bit nicer.

Score 2 for ya Sappo.....;)

Bet you didnt know that I've had 2 full woods modded 346's. When I got my second one, I sold the old one to a bud for $150.....I also have 3 other modded 3 cube saws, Shindaiwa, Dolmar, and ......hold on to your Depends, Stihl lovers, Craftsman...... and no 026...never much liked the saw stock...but would like a modded one someday.....
And soon I'll have an old Dolmar 111 muffler modded and up and running with a new piston..got it for about $50 on ebay...a nice semi-pro saw and lighter than all but the Shindaiwa.....

Now, sappo, don't think I'm cuddling up to ya......but maybe try to be nice...and admit when you're wrong...just once.....I've done it twice now.....

rbtree said:
Set myself up for that one.didn't I, paul....Just trying to even the score, and give sap a chance to catch up....or course he coulda been a bit nicer.

Bet you didnt know that I've had 2 full woods modded 346's. When I got my second one, I sold the old one to a bud for $150.....I also have 3 other modded 3 cube saws, Shindaiwa, Dolmar, and ......hold on to your Depends, Stihl lovers, Craftsman...... and no 026...never much liked the saw stock...but would like a modded one someday.....
And soon I'll have an old Dolmar 111 muffler modded and up and running with a new piston..got it for about $50 on ebay...a nice semi-pro saw and lighter than all but the Shindaiwa.....

Now, sappo, don't think I'm cuddling up to ya......but maybe try to be nice...and admit when you're wrong...just once.....I've done it twice now.....

Why no 026? I always thought that that was a decent saw....

(And I don't recall claiming that I'm never wrong.)

rbtree said:

Not to worry RB, she ain't worth keepin score over let alone cuddlin up too :cheers:
She's runnin all over the site this mornin leavin here droppings and then buggin out, notice how she don't show in the eve's anymore cause she can't post without a good slappin:laugh:

Paul61 said:
Not to worry RB, she ain't worth keepin score over let alone cuddlin up too :cheers:
She's runnin all over the site this mornin leavin here droppings and then buggin out, notice how she don't show in the eve's anymore cause she can't post without a good slappin:laugh:

RB, I forgot to mention if she's been sendin ya nasty PM's yet??

I guess this is what a Cricket does when she's cornered by all her FRENDS:laugh: :laugh:

Paul61 said:
RB, I forgot to mention if she's been sendin ya nasty PM's yet??

I guess this is what a Cricket does when she's cornered by all her FRENDS:laugh: :laugh:

It wasn't "nasty". I simply told you that the only thing you're "slapping" around here is your own fat monkey. And I thought you'd want that off the thread in a PM....but evidently I was wrong, eh?

If you think that is "nasty" then you're clueless, dude.

coveredinsap said:
It wasn't "nasty". I simply told you that the only thing you're "slapping" around here is your own fat monkey. And I thought you'd want that off the thread in a PM....but evidently I was wrong, eh?

If you think that is "nasty" then you're clueless, dude.

That's more the like the O'l Slappy Sappy we all know and :heart: to :buttkick:
Come on ol' Slap, you can do way better...........remember last time when ya got banned:clap: :clap: :laugh: :laugh:
I'd hate to see ya drop the avatar & signs like the Mods. made ya do a while back...................cause ya make so many frends that way:clap:

Why are we even engaging in dealing with Mr. Sap? A couple quick clicks with the mouse and everyone can have Sap's posts come up like this:

This message is hidden because coveredinsap is on your ignore list.

Problem solved, time saved.

computeruser said:
Why are we even engaging in dealing with Mr. Sap? A couple quick clicks with the mouse and everyone can have Sap's posts come up like this:

This message is hidden because coveredinsap is on your ignore list.

Problem solved, time saved.

No problem , lots a time to waste, site needs a de-bugging, and now for the real reason.............
Cause he's our FREND :laugh: :laugh:

coveredinsap said:
Why no 026? I always thought that that was a decent saw....

(And I don't recall claiming that I'm never wrong.)

Never saw you claim that....just don't think I've seen you admit it.... like with smokechase's topic where it was obvious to us pros...

Stock, the 346 and Dolmar 5100 are faster saws. And I like them better as well. Modded, they both are better. But I've never run a modded 026. And, my Shindaiwa 48 is lighter, and runs well. 346 has better filtration, antivib, more streamlined package...less good powerband stock, and outboard clutch....

All other pro Stihls and Huskys are great, some have better features than others....I've run most of them...Stihls may last a bit longer in the woods. Loggers use their saws harder than us arborists, and only run one of two. I carry 8 or so on the truck and have a bunch more at home ready to go as needed. Stihl's just cost a bit more, but there's better overall dealer support. Problems will always exist, though, from what others have investigated, your situation was not have been handled as well as it should have been, by both parties....

rbtree said:
All other pro Stihls and Huskys are great, some have better features than others....I've run most of them...Stihls may last a bit longer in the woods. Loggers use their saws harder than us arborists, and only run one of two. I carry 8 or so on the truck and have a bunch more at home ready to go as needed. Stihl's just cost a bit more, but there's better overall dealer support. Problems will always exist, though, from what others have investigated, your situation was not have been handled as well as it should have been, by both parties....

Rb's right stihls are awesome but the cost an arm and a leg. i just scored a used 026pro on ebay for 100$ all it needed was a bar and chain, runs frikin sweet. maybe thats the way to go for a saw.

dealer support is crutial when buying a saw, whether it be a stihl, echo, husky or any others. around my parts the only good dealers are stihl and echo. My best advice it to demo some saws from either a friend , dealer or a trade show.

-mike

late again

I know i am late to this thread but i suggest purchasing whatever saw you decide on from a servicing dealer. Doesn't matter if it is a Jonsered, Stihl, Husky,or Makita/dolmar. You want to be able to bring the saw back to who you bought it from and develop a relationship that will last the lifetime of the saw. Big Box stores are not known for there service after the sale. They do not start and tune the saw up either. Just show you a box and point to a check out and say have a good day.

PineRidgeAcres said:
Oh, geez. Another saw to add to my confusion?

:bang:

lolol, welp what have you decided,lolol, I mean hell it was all spelled out for ya, do you see the one you need,lolol, I saw it, no kidding I did. I can't believe it but I saw it and its not one single model discussed. I won't tell you which post was the one for I won't give that sucker the pleasure,lololol

Jonsered Rep said:
I know i am late to this thread but i suggest purchasing whatever saw you decide on from a servicing dealer. Doesn't matter if it is a Jonsered, Stihl, Husky,or Makita/dolmar. You want to be able to bring the saw back to who you bought it from and develop a relationship that will last the lifetime of the saw. Big Box stores are not known for there service after the sale. They do not start and tune the saw up either. Just show you a box and point to a check out and say have a good day.

Hey Jonsered hows it going. How come your not on very much, I used to see you from time to time, where the world ya been hiding???

THALL10326 said:
Hey Jonsered hows it going. How come your not on very much, I used to see you from time to time, where the world ya been hiding???

Not on much because i try to spend as much time on the road as i can. My territory was kinda neglected for about a year or so and i am trying to make sure all my customers get what they need and while i am at it pick up new ones. hope to have a Lap top in the next month or so, to keep up with this board on the road. I give the address out to almost all of my dealers. One of the most informative boards i have ever run across. I want to thank every one who participates in this board. Ya'll keep my informed about the whole market and not just my brand and territory.

Jonsered Rep said:
Not on much because i try to spend as much time on the road as i can. My territory was kinda neglected for about a year or so and i am trying to make sure all my customers get what they need and while i am at it pick up new ones. hope to have a Lap top in the next month or so, to keep up with this board on the road. I give the address out to almost all of my dealers. One of the most informative boards i have ever run across. I want to thank every one who participates in this board. Ya'll keep my informed about the whole market and not just my brand and territory.

Cool, glad to see you in here. Have they cleaned up all the trees after Katrina down there, that should have been a saw heaven for you in sales. I'm sure that mess kept you hopping...

coveredinsap said:
There is no 'perfect' saw for the tasks that you are looking for. It sounds like you actually need two saws....a midrange saw for the occasional bigger stuff and a lightweight saw for the everyday small stuff.
The compromise...and it would only be a compromise...would be something in the 40cc-45cc class.

Dayumm you Sap I wasn't gonna give you credit but your post above is the correct answer for what the guy is looking for. He needs at least two saws for what he is wanting to do in comfort. Sap are you feeling ok, you either been playing for a long time and have decided to be striaght for a change. Regardless you got it right on this thread....

Latest posts

Back