Help....which should I get Stihl 460 or 660 $50 difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funonahonda

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have Stihl 017, 018 and a MS290 which I cut firewood with. Someone on a for sale site has New but old model Stihl MS 460 for $500 or a Stihl MS 660 for $550 your input will be appreciated

I currently have Stihl 017, 018 and a MS290 which I cut firewood with. Someone on a for sale site has New but old model Stihl MS 460 for $500 or a Stihl MS 660 for $550 your input will be appreciated

In my opinion, (I have both sizes), I find that the 440 I have is used far more than the 660. The 660 is good for "big wood", but I just don't get into "big wood" that often. The 440 is great as an all-around saw. My opinion only - others will likely come in and have a completely different idea.

Whatcha gonna use it for?

In my opinion, (I have both sizes), I find that the 440 I have is used far more than the 660. The 660 is good for "big wood", but I just don't get into "big wood" that often. The 440 is great as an all-around saw. My opinion only - others will likely come in and have a completely different idea.

Whatcha gonna use it for?

Hes picking between a 460 and a 660.

If a 440 and 660 were the choices I'd have more questions about the wood he cuts and maybe different advice.

I've gotten to the point if the wood I'm cutting warrants 77cc it warrants 90cc as well so I just skip 77 all together..my personal opinion, if it's just occasional use and hes not lugging it around all day I'd definitely go 660.

Ya I know that is very cheap, I have talked to the guy a few times on the phone and have asked a lot of questions and he has answered from which his answers sounded good to me, the saws are the older models and not the new models and he says they are original Stihl saws, he is selling them through his tree/lawn business that has been around for a long time.

I'd be very skeptical of those prices. Plenty of folks would give up a newborn for a New 460. Post up some pics before you make a move.

I second that,I bought a near new 460 last year and it sure was more than $500. Either are great saws but those prices seem to good to be true.

So when I go to look at the saws what should I look at to make sure these are original and new.

First thing I look for is a serial number,I don't believe the Chinese knockoffs have one. Also all my Stihl saws had/have a made in Germany sticker and a Stihl label on the rear handle.

Hes picking between a 460 and a 660.

If a 440 and 660 were the choices I'd have more questions about the wood he cuts and maybe different advice.

I've gotten to the point if the wood I'm cutting warrants 77cc it warrants 90cc as well so I just skip 77 all together..my personal opinion, if it's just occasional use and hes not lugging it around all day I'd definitely go 660.

You'll note I wrote "sizes" not "models".

I just went to the garage and looked at my ms660 and on the recoil it says Stihl in black letters and the oil and gas caps are solid black,going by that I'd guess those are Chinese knock offs.

Back