Help with 372xpg !?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWE#Kipp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i've bought a used 372xpg did a cleaning of it when i got it home by the mail, i took of the muffler and did see some scoring on the piston no deep ones, the ring are undamaged and compression seems okay do you think there's any danger in running it as it is ,,, or should i change piston and ring ??
also do the decomp valve need to be changed after some time, can they start to leak or anything it looked quite messy i think ,,,

i'am a little worried ,,,
so any help would be appreciated :p

/Kristoffer

Last edited:
Just check for air leaks, replace the impulse line. if all are fine, reset the carb and adjust it properly, most times thats what causes lean damage/seizures like you describe.

Ok i will check those things, do you think i should replace the decomp just to be safe ?
did read in the workshop manual that it could leak ,,,,

/Kristoffer

If you feel confident enough in your mechanical abilities, you could give it a cleaning and a good visual inspection. I imagine that it should work fine, but that is hard to say, since you do not know how the saws history and if it was abused.

If that part is easily and cheaply replaced, you might entertain that option just to be on the safe side. Though, I always look at things from with "no budget to work with" stand point, so you you may want to take that in to consideration as well. ;)

Spray the decomp valve with WD-40 (or maybe a soap/water solution), make sure it is closed and crank the engine over a bunch of times. If you see bubbling it is leaking. You may be able to uninstall it and clean it. Otherwise you'll have to get a new one. No reason to buy one unless you have to. They can be expensive.

Chris B.

id get it running and use the best synthetic at 35-1. with 93 octane. if shes got ghood compression and cuts good . forget it until it becopmes a problem. what u described may not cost much if anthing performance wise. but theres only one way to know for sure. good luck.

thanks for all help, guess i have to tare it apart :p

/kristoffer

I guess this saw has run pro here, so it has most likely run on Aspen.
If this is a true assumsion and it is scored, it has not much to do with fuel itself, but could be air leak/heat/carb settings.
I would suspect it is a heat issue.
Hot day's with tuff work. Cutting of before harvester after storm is next to milling and wood processer, the tuffest I know. Hard work!!!!

You got this saw at a fair price if i remember correct, so replacing piston and gaskets/carb kit is nothing you will cry over. Think of it as a bigger service, that is after all what it is.

If you get close to me by some chance, give me a call, I will help you.

Look at the cylinder fins, if they are black / dirty etc.

The saw is not run on aspen, because the operator got ill in the lungs and nose and the mix was a little richer then aspens 50:1 i think the saw also was set a little to rich when i got it home it did four stroke in the cut even with the hole bar in the cut, but that could also have to do with that i run it on aspen and previous owner did not, now it runs okey but i did have higher expectations on this saw model ,, but like you say Mange its maybe time for a big service, i would like to get in contact with you over the phone if its okey with you for some further help :)

/Kristoffer

I think you got missinformed.

If it was in the storm work, it has run on Aspen. There is strikt regulations on this.
The Aspen fuel is much better for your helth than regular gas. I have tons of dokuments on this.

Latest posts

Back