How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noaker- you got in a hurry on this one....

The TWO MAN saw? Sounds like you want to be an operator for it too?

Sounds too much like work to me.......... I don't even do that where I am "employed", I would say "where I work" but that would be insinuating that I do actual work.

Break the handle off one end and it is now a one man crosscut.

three sacred things in OZ ...1.Dog 2.Chainsaws 3.Girlfriend ,in that order. :biggrin: ...neither 3 get lent to anyone !

This summer I had a big wind storm knock a lot of trees down on my property and I had a chainsawing/woods cleanup party. One of my friends brought his craftsman saw and was out cutting for about 2 minutes and then his chain some how got dull. I sharpened it for him. 3 cuts later his chain was dull. I gave him a brief hand filing lesson. Over the next few hours I noticed him walking up to my shop repeatedly. He finally came over to me and asked where he could buy a new chain. My wife went to town and bought him a new chain which he dulled up in a hurry. He finally gave up on his saw because "it wasnt cutting right". He then starts bugging me "hey let me rip on one of those big stihls." Yeah, sure whatever buddy.:buttkick:

imina put a junkyard wildthang together just for this purpose--and supply the fuel...

wait, no i'm not. i just go cut their sheet. if it's a bunch of sheet, i charge-sorry but...and thankfully i live far enough out in the bush that every woman has her OWN pickup and chainsaw and sidearm. God Bless 'em!

me.."sorry I don't have an saws"
leach..." but you have 5 stills, sill s.. or what ever they are called"
me..."sorry.. but I said I don't have any saws... "
leach..." but they are right there on the shelf behind you"
me... " those are not saws... ... they are flash lights"
leach..." bull####!! I see the cutty sharpy end... right there"
me... " these are not the saws you seek"
leach.." wha?"
me...." these are not the saws you seek"
leach..." this isn't the saw I am looking for"
me.... " you need to move along now"
leach...." oh I gotta run... later..."

gotta love that jedi mind trick... :hmm3grin2orange:

I say no, but I'll loan you an operator with a saw thrown in free.

Most of my friends don't "get" my hobby, but they know me well enough to know I'm not just mucking about. In addition, they want me to come with my saws for the company. If yours only want your saw, find some new friends.

I basically don't loan anything out if it has a motor or engine in it. I do loan out my gas powered log splitter. It is a dinosaur in both age and size and it would be really hard to damage it.

I also don't loan out my shop crane/cherry picker/engine hoist or whatever you call them in your parts because every time I have it came back damaged. I mean there isn't much to them, how can one be harmed? 100% of the time it came back needing work so it stays in my shop now.

I lent my partner S50 to my neighbor about 15 years ago and when he got done with it the chain was dull and full of mud. Never ever lend your saw to anyone.

I lent my partner S50 to my neighbor about 15 years ago and when he got done with it the chain was dull and full of mud. Never ever lend your saw to anyone.

aye, that's because stump grinders cost so much to rent.

new idea: rent your wildthang for 10 bucks per day. it'll come back...maybe paid for. and if it doesn't...go get another one, this could be fun.

All my friends own chainsaws. Thats why they're my friends. Now my chainsaws are better than theirs so I'll get asked to come over to "hang out" and that's just fine with me!

I've been blessed with more than my share of bad ass saws... I loaned my near new 7900 to a friend last week... He had a large oak down in his yard, and a tiny saw... I filled the tank with my mix, and sharpened the chain... Got it back with half a tank left, and a dull chain... And guess what???... That was ok... He's more important than the machine... He didn't ask, I offered... Good friends are hard to come by... I can buy a saw anywhere... Let's keep things in perspective... If you can't afford to buy another saw, then I guess you shouldn't loan it out. But
If you can, consider your priorities...
Just sayin...

yes, it's not about the saw

mostly it's not.

outfitting them with full head-toe PPE is a GREAT IDEA!

and also why, i'm going to do the work for 'em if it's really a friend...

but saws are just like guns and pickups and womerns--even the dogs we won't loan, they _all_ can be dangerous objects in the wrong hands...:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!

Let me know what you want cut, and I'll cut it for you.

I let them barrow my old Jonsered 521 E and thats it, I will offer to help and bring any saw they need but I run them. People just don't take care of your stuff like you do.

Back