How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread just made me realize why I need to keep the Poulan Pro 260 that doesn't run. It looks to be in good shape and most would rather use it than a Ryobi. Wonder what their response will be when it won't start?

About ten years ago I lent out my 029 to a coworker. He was cutting wood and it started to rain and he put my saw on the tailgate and got in the truck to stay dry and it did not stop raining. They left the place they were cutting with the saw in the case with a new chain and tools on the tailgate. Saw was on the road . Some one got a huge score.
I did get a new 290 out of the deal but learned a big lesson. I will not lend any power tools out.
the family to the east wanted to use my log splitter and we went and helped them split their wood. I will help with my stuff but will not loan it out.

I was approached to Lend My husky 288...

Joe B. Asked if he could borrow my saw to build his log cabin, I said no way. it is my bread and butter- he informed me that a mutual friend said he was a natural chainsaw operator.

I told Joe to borrow a saw from the other guy- he did. The very next day, I went to visit Joe in the hospital, he had a Fillet of Leg- 97 stitches on the back of his leg, from his ankle to his upper thigh.

He was working in sweat pants- walking with the saw on, tip backwards, not using a chain brake....

It walked up his leg. He never walked straight again.

___ no, but I will allow you to use my pistol to shoot yourself in the head, it at least shouldn't allow you to suffer that long!

:chainsawguy:

No no no

A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!

The last saw i loaned out came back super dirty,chain hanging off ,wouldnt cut butter,bar had hot spots on it, after that i just tell people i dont loan my saws:greenchainsaw:

i work at a stihl/Husky dealer and i bet at least once every month, every other month i see a saw come in that wont run with 0 compression or locked ut and after some prying it turns out it was borrowed by a "friend" who ran straight gas through it... I say they can borrow mine if i get an $800 deposit to replace it with a new one, or ill come cut for them. :givebeer:

straight gas

i work at a stihl/Husky dealer and i bet at least once every month, every other month i see a saw come in that wont run with 0 compression or locked ut and after some prying it turns out it was borrowed by a "friend" who ran straight gas through it... I say they can borrow mine if i get an $800 deposit to replace it with a new one, or ill come cut for them. :givebeer:

I have seen that happen alot, i was talking to a guy who works at a poulan plant here in augusta ga,where they recondition saws ,he said most of the ones they rebuild has had staight gas ran in them. i have a friend that has a very large lawn care business ,he hire a new young kid as a helper, the kid filled up 4 stihl saws and two weedeaters,i hedgetrimmer with straight gas,only because he didnt know,a costly mistake:greenchainsaw:

NO..and NO, NO

I have read most of these post and laughed and cried also. Loaning a saw out is like...loaning out your bass boat.. NO NO and NO !!!

My father had a 024 for over 15year...never let me us it, nor anyone else and it still work great today.

As far as loaning out your wife...mmmm....have not had one in over 15 year, and don't want one. Chainsaw vs Wife....never had a chainsaw spend all my money and drink all my beer !!!

Little Abner... Cheers :cheers:

The typical answer is no, but I'll be glad to help you out as long as it is on my schedule. Actually trimmed about 20 or so trees and brough down 10 or so more over New Years weekend for my next door neighbor, because I had free access to a 65' Boom Lift. He approached me wanting to pay me for the work, instead, I agreed to get everything out of the air for him, if he would help with my brush & firewood, which he gladly did. My brush was around 25 trees worth, plus the limbs off numerous other.

The only folks that can flat out borrow my saw or other motorized tools are my father, brother, and two uncles. They are all mechanically inclined, and have numberous such tools, which I can borrow anytime as well. Also, they are just as particular about the fuel that they feed their equipment as I am.

General rule of thumb, there are 3 things that you cannot borrow, my boat, my chainsaw (or other small engine stuff), or my wife. The above mentioned list is welcome to use everything but my wife.

Last edited:
borrowing

The typical answer is no, but I'll be glad to help you out as long as it is on my schedule. Actually trimmed about 20 or so trees and brough down 10 or so more over New Years weekend for my next door neighbor, because I had free access to a 65' Boom Lift. He approached me wanting to pay me for the work, instead, I agreed to get everything out of the air for him, if he would help with my brush & firewood, which he gladly did. My brush was around 25 trees worth, plus the limbs off numerous other.

The only folks that can flat out borrow my saw or other motorized tools are my father, brother, and two uncles. They are all mechanically inclined, and have numberous such tools, which I can borrow anytime as well. Also, they are just as particular about the fuel that they feed their equipment as I am.

General rule of thumb, there are 3 things that you cannot borrow, my boat, my chainsaw (or other small engine stuff), or my wife. The above mentioned list is welcome to use everything but my wife.
I AGREE,MY SON WILL SAY CAN I BORROW ONE OF YOUR SAWS,I SAY CAN YOU AFFORD TO BY ME A NEW ONE,HE SAYS NO ,I SAY END OF DISCUSION , LOL I JUST FEEL NO ONE TAKES AS GOOD OF CARE OF YOUR STUFF AS YOU DO,THIS NOW STORM WE JUST HAD HAS TREES DOWN EVERYWHERE,I AM CUTTING FROM DAYLIGHT TO DARK, FIREWOOD FOR NEXT YEAR, :chainsawguy:

borrowing...

There are only two people I ever loan ANYTHING to, and as I have known them for more than a score of years, (and they are brothers), I have no problems with loaning them my crap, I mean tools...

I once gave away a Poulan (yes, I admit owned two), but never loaned one out. Anyway, since the brothers mentioned above are the only two people I would loan a tool to, especially a chainsaw...well, I don't think I would have to worry, because the one brother could just go to the other brother and get any number of saws better than my remaining old Poulan.
But, if there is ever a chainsaw related emergency, or they just want to cut with an antiquated p.o.s. to reestablish some karmic balance, it's all theirs.

A neighbor...well now, depends on the neighbor and whether or not the bacon grease solution we read about worked on the visiting dog problem.

...And I do agree with the stance that with most people,
(99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999%), if they need to borrow a chainsaw, they probably should not be using one...I have used them on a variety of jobs throughout the years, and I am sure there will be ALOT of agreement that I am nowhere near a pro, or even (as I feel) up and current on the various safety issues.

Screwdrivers on the other hand, I have a boatload of...suckers seem to breed like roaches around here. Lots of them are Cra**sman, and being anti-Se*rs anyway, I would gladly tell them to beat the thing to oblivion and take it in for a new one.

For the 800.00 deposit I would come and cut it toolll:clap::cheers:

my answer is the same as everyone elses......No...

Only reason is because of a mishap my brother in law had a few years back. he asked my father to borrow the (now mine) j-red 630. my father says sure! just be sure you use this mix, and gives him a 2 gallon can of gas-oil mix.

that weekend we get a cal from my sister saying that my brother in law is at the hospital because the saw kicked back on him!! as it turns out the saw kicked back, did a half back flip and the bar hit the top of his hand! luckily it wasn't that bad and only cut his hand and took out a small chunk of one of his knuckles, otherwise he was fine.

he had cut with us before that, and seemed to do just fine with the same saw, now when he comes over to cut firewood he only uses the splitter, or jumps on the atv to skid some logs, hasn't even picked up the saw since...

Back