How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been blessed with more than my share of bad ass saws... I loaned my near new 7900 to a friend last week... He had a large oak down in his yard, and a tiny saw... I filled the tank with my mix, and sharpened the chain... Got it back with half a tank left, and a dull chain... And guess what???... That was ok... He's more important than the machine... He didn't ask, I offered... Good friends are hard to come by... I can buy a saw anywhere... Let's keep things in perspective... If you can't afford to buy another saw, then I guess you shouldn't loan it out. But
If you can, consider your priorities...
Just sayin...

Occations like that is one of the reasons I keep that 353 around. Safety is an important consideration when loaning out a saw. That is the main reason I rarely loan a saw out.:msp_wink:

I have two "loaners" here with crappy chains on them, a CS-370 and CS-6700 Echo. They always come back so dull you couldn't cut butter with them. I really don't care, that's what they are for, and what I expect when I get them back.....Cliff

I'm not good at saying no to my friends. So, I have a good MS290 that I loan out. It's a really good saw and isn't too cost prohibitive to replace when/if they demolish it.

Last edited:
I feign deafness, serious deafness. Don't have to often.

Anybody who'd be competent to run a chainsaw would have at least a couple of his own ready to go, and shouldn't be trying to scarf one of mine. (Didn't think you'd leave the wife as security.)

If it's a real emergency, no problem, I'll do the cutting; you drag the brush away. Power lines in the area- we sit and wait.

Maybe Homey's still has some of those nifty wee "Homelites" and you could buy one?

This would be a good reason to keep a scored (VERY LOW COMPRESSION) saw around to use as your loaner for people that you don't like of trust, tell them that it runs GREAT!, and when they bring it back after a 30 min cardio session and say "I couldnt get it started" you reply with "WHAT THE H#@# DID YOU DO?!!!!!" problem solved!!:hmm3grin2orange:

A Craftsman 42cc Wildthing with 2 sharp chains, case, oil, and fuel. You never know when I will need something of theirs! If they need more saw, I go with.

This afternoon, the phone rings. My buddy ( knows I have too many saws ) asks if I have a saw with an 18 inch bar. He already knew I did. He tells me he's in the middle of a side job and both his saws are dull. He said the cutting is on the ground and he keeps getting pinched and hitting dirt. Rough job in his words.
I hesistate, then offer a Poulan pro I picked up new for $75 ( Box store display, no box). Cheapest saw I have.
I offered it up anyway because we are good friends. No disclaimer, no nothing. He's hard-headed as they come. I let the saw go with him. I KNOW it will be beat on but he would also give me the shirt off his back.
Hence, the reason to keep a cheap saw around

This afternoon, the phone rings. My buddy... tells me he's in the middle of a side job and both his saws are dull. He said the cutting is on the ground and he keeps getting pinched and hitting dirt. Rough job in his words.
... because we are good friends... I let the saw go with him. I KNOW it will be beat on but he would also give me the shirt off his back.
Hence, the reason to keep a cheap saw around

Sure, today you are good friends because he wants to borrow something off you knowing full well he will destroy it... rather than buy himself an extra couple of chains.

Good friends don't put each other on the spot like that, unless you just don't give a damn about you're tools. Friendships are ruined over a lot less than this.

Young neighbor, good kid. Brought back me 2171 with bar smoked :msp_mad: whattya do ?? I shouldn't have loaned it to him..I absolutely won't ever loan my saw to any one,,ever again..Guy down the road is another story...I've known him for 15 yrs or more,He borrowed my splitter, brought it back on empty..I says,"that's just bad manners, it was full of gas when you borrowed it and you bring it back empty..WTF? He mutters his kid had burned all his gas in the "go-cart" and he hadn't made it to town..rite on. He plays me again a few weeks later,,same story,,(Yeah, I know, I know...) I told him,That's all, no more..that splitter will run forever on a tank of gas so you gotta be runnin' the hell out of it and you aint got manners enough to fill it up?? I don't care if ya' had to make a special trip to get gas,,YOU ARE DONE !! I also reminded him what a splitter rents for at the tool shop..So he comes around this winter. guess he thought I'd gotten over it. I says, "yeah, You can use it,,I'll bring it down tomorrow and we'll fill my truck up as we split from your pile". Haven't heard from him yet..

no!

Then if they whine about it I say: Go buy your own.

Last edited:
Borrowin saws

I had a sales rep call and ask about borrowing a saw yesterday.He is a good guy and has helped me out BIGTIME twice in the last month,my answer was NO,but,I will come and cut with you.He had about a 50 foot oak come down in the 70MPH winds we had 2 nights ago.The 359 and 346 got a good work out.It was the first time i used the 346 PARTS saw ($18) for a full tank,that is one sweet saw.
Ray

Latest posts

Back