How long do you guys let your projects sit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I seem to keep amassing project saws, but even in winter I don't seem to have the time to tear into them. I'm just too busy with other things most of the time. I've got four project saws sitting now, a running McCullough Titan needing fuel and oil lines, so-far unidentified Poulan CV (see other thread) with compression and spark, Stihl 048 that needs a new fuel tank assembly (which I have) and Stihl 075 that needs a carb kit.

I've had them all for nearly a year, and some longer, and they stare at me every time I go in the garage. I don't need them. I have a full working stable of saws I use for my arborist work.

I mean, if I have CAD, it's minor compare to what some of y'all have filling your garages and sheds, but I'm curious. How many project saws do others have, and at what point do you guys decide to thin the herd? I know one or two of mine are going to go.

Last edited:
It's directly proportional to the amount of money that can be diverted to the project. My John Deere 140 has been sitting in the shed, waiting patiently on me, for 2+ years. Too many ideas, too little time/money/ect...

Im learning to slow down and kinda let the parts come to me.I used to be wide open and want the project done yesterday.Now Ill give it til tomorrow.

I bring pieces of the saw to work with me to work on during my lunch hour. Rebuild a carb, clean/spray paint parts etc. Makes the whole process of getting a saw together go a lot quicker. I know not everyone has this luxury. The only downfall is i got some coworkers bringing in their crap for me to fix:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a Contra that needed the carb rebuilding and a leak on the tank sorting out.

I decided to strip it down with the intention of a more major restoration project. I bought the kit and rebuilt the carb then put it away safe, I think that was in 2008:monkey:.

Too long.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Usually, I either have time or the money. It's hard to find both. So, I try to gather the parts I need until some time frees up to work on them.

I have a couple saws that I keep running because I need them for firewood. The rest are project or light use saws. I'm hoping that I'll have some time this winter to really get into some of them, but we'll see.

Many of us are in the same boat, but I find it does help if you plan out some time to work on something specific. Make Tuesday night, saw night or something along those lines. Weekends fill up incredibly fast. :bang:

Not very long at all. I usually whip through them since I enjoy it so much. I even put together parts from a husky 61, husky 266, and jred 630 to create a mutt saw for a friend cause I wanted something to do (and I wanted to help him out) :D

My priority is getting it running (usually a couple of days) AND in good mechanical condition.

It drives me crazy to have a machine that doesn't run.

If I love it, then I'll make it pretty. (understanding beauty is in the eyes of owner)

I generally pick my battles, tho'

luck,greg

My priority is getting it running (usually a couple of days) AND in good mechanical condition.

It drives me crazy to have a machine that doesn't run.

If I love it, then I'll make it pretty. (understanding beauty is in the eyes of owner)

I generally pick my battles, tho'

luck,greg

This is me to a tee, I cannot stand owning something that does not work as it should. Drives me nuts!

Depends on the saw 044 just took me a week or so was waiting on a piston, my 048 has waited 3 years but I have all the parts for it.

Depends on the saw 044 just took me a week or so was waiting on a piston, my 048 has waited 3 years but I have all the parts for it.

I just got back to digging into the 048 today. Got all the peripheral parts washed and clean, cleaned new tank/handle assembly and am cleaning the cylinder assembly exterior. :)

My gal didn't mind that I used the kitchen sink for cleaning parts, but she drew the line at using the dishwasher. Says if I get her a new dishwasher, I can have this one for the garage/shop. Hmmmmm. :D :D

My longest has been a year, its a 025. I got the saw for free. It was a pile of poop, but the P&C were great. So slowly I started to make it back into a runner. Tomorrow Ill be getting the last part needed to put it into wood. THANKS SCOTT!!!! The bar and chain will be here tomorrow!!!!

I have saws, and other motor projects torn apart or just about rebuilt that have been sitting for a few years. I just have too many projects, and then i either take on more projects or I need to do other things. One day i would like to catch up, but I dont think that is any time soon.

It depends on how my funds are. I find myself buying more saws instead of fixing the ones that need fixing. They eventually get fixed but then there a 5 more in line.

I let my 031 sit in a box disassembled for 4 years. I came here looking for info on an MS290 and that got me motivated to get the old girl running again. I put a used P&C on that one and also on my Dolmar 114 and got both of those back into the fleet. Since then I have purchased and repaired 5 more saws in a little over a year. The most recent project, making one 031 out of two parts saws only took a couple of days.

Got about ten sitting around in various states of dissassembly. Been about two years. NO time during summer for them, then it's too cold in the winter. Just ordered piston and rings for an 064. Hmmmmm..... being I'm single again, I could probably work on them in the kitchen.....

I dont keep projects around long, unless they hold some sentimental value or something special to me. They either get fixed or sent down the road. I do have a PM Canadien that has been in a box awaiting a going through for a year and a half, will end up being a shelf queen non runner. I fired it up when I got it, but it is scored pretty good, but is such a beautiful- very well engineered saw.
I may send the PM down the road, but think it would look nice sitting here on the mantle.

Latest posts

Back