How long have you been running a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started in my early teen years, like 12-14 of age - my dad was like "Here, You try!".
He never complained about me cutting all the firewood since. rolleyes.gif

I started with a electric Sachs-Dolmar 285, but as memory serves was soon allowed to run the Sachs-Dolmar 105 as well.
I/we still have the Sachs-Dolmar 105, the electric 285 too but she's R.I.P. due to a melted plastic case at the bar mount area.

I didn't fully grasp the work principle of a chainsaw till I bought my Dolmar PS-6400, she opened my eyes regarding chain sharpness and fueled my desire for bucking firewood! throb.gif
The purchase of my Dolmar PS-7900 made me buck peoples firewood logs for free just for the joy of running a chainsaw. :crazy2:
People mostly think I'm either trying to rip them off or that I am nuts when I offer them to cut their firewood free of charge - thus most decline my offer. :(

Since I was 15. So 26 years. The first couple years helping by beloved grandfather filling the farmhouse basement with firewood for the winter, I was splitting and stacking, and hooking up chains to logs. Then he allowed me to run a saw. I haven't looked back. After he retired, sold the dairy farm and built his dream loghome, I kept his wood suply full, and mine as well. I really do miss spending time cutting with him. God rest his soul.

Since I was 15. So 26 years. The first couple years helping by beloved grandfather filling the farmhouse basement with firewood for the winter, I was splitting and stacking, and hooking up chains to logs. Then he allowed me to run a saw. I haven't looked back. After he retired, sold the dairy farm and built his dream loghome, I kept his wood suply full, and mine as well. I really do miss spending time cutting with him. God rest his soul.

it was my grandfather who started me to much the same as your story he passed about a month ago R.I.P. Paul D. Bondeson

I was 12 or so, so just shy of 40 years. The Sears man killer! I like that. We called it the box, cut a lot of wood with it then moved up to a 285 when I was 17. Started cutting pro when I was still in school. CJ

Agreed 100%
Hey Brandon, you must be a savvy kind of guy, starting a thread where everybody gets to talk about themselves is fun. When I was about 14 my grandfather and his brothers bought a new combine. It was too tall and I was the only climber. I would thread a clothsline through my belt loops and shinny up. With my back against the trunk and my legs wrapped around the limb, I would pull up the running saw and cut off the low hanger. He knew I could handle it and I knew he would not give me anything I could not handle. I truly loved that man. Cried so hard the day he died I have not cried since. Thanks for the chance to talk about him. Been running a saw for 44 years.

408 months . Take care , an cut for a long time . Wear your gear , this not for yourself , other people do not like grieving . Stop relax take a second an think .

Because you NEVER see it coming

Went to cut up an oak we had dropped a while back.

Dead grass so I blipped the throttle to clear a spot of dead grass.

Felt a thump on the inside of my right thigh.

Put the chain back on. No change in adjustment and chain was right........put a hole in the cover of my chaps.

Just jeans wouldn't have stopped it.

My dad and grandpa are gone. But still remember cutting wood with them. You were proud to do your part. What ever it was.

Ran one one time when I was 17 or 18 but didn't really start cutting until I was 23 or so. I'm only 27 now, so I don't have much experience. We always burned wood when I was a kid but I was always the laborer. Dad and or whoever I was with cut and us kids loaded. Didn't even get a lesson on a chainsaw from dad, my grandfather in law is who showed me the ropes when i began burning wood myself.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

As I remember, I started sometime in the late 60's... I bought my first NEW saw in about 1975, a Pro-Mac 55, I still have it.

SR

Back