How many of you have next years wood cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was all set. Then helped out some family with about 5 Cords, and was almost causght up again and on track for half of next year, then the cold and snow stopped operations, and ....dang if we didn't help out the family again.

So now we are burning stuff cut and stacked last August mixed with standing dead I scrounge up here and there. Can't get to the logs dropped 2 years ago because of the snow...:censored: :censored: :censored: Tractor drags it's belly and the winch cable isn't long enough.
What I need is a Helicopter....:D

LOL!!
I just realized I'm burning green Oak on account of restacking.:censored:

Will be dropping trees for next year starting tomorrow.
Gotta Cull a bunch of 6-30" Red Oaks around the house.
The stuff further in the woodlot will wait.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

HELLO!, New here:)

This is what I have for next year so far:

HolzHausen2.jpg

My holz hausen is an 8 foot circle over 8 feet high of mulberry (almost 3 cords, I think, with what is still in the trailer). I started this year without even one stick so I have been going at it pretty hard. I have found that the more I cut, the more I want to cut. I am getting CAD pretty bad and just recieved my MS 260 today and love it! I only have 3 days off in 2 weeks and try to cut all of 'em if I can. I thought I would be losing weight with all of the work, but managed to gain 10 lbs.:mad: I do look like I could play linebacker (for Cosgrove though, not Pelini :) ). I am going to cut every chance that I get and maybe sell some next year. It won't be much of a money maker for me though because I will have too much labor in it. The benefit will be the workout I'll get and maybe some more money for saws.

Some work pays me in green and some pays me in health. When I am in the woods, I forget about what I do for money. Mentally and physically, firewood is my lottery.

Working on next year's.

Have 4 cord of Oak and Green Ash cut. Just needs split.
There is another 1 1/2 cord of Green Ash, American Beech, and Red Oak that needs cut and split. It has been laying in log form for a couple of years.

Have another 2 1/2 cord of Honey and Black Locust in rounds for the year after next.

I've got MAYBE 2 cords of oak cut....

I'm just going to use it to heat the garage though, figure at most I will need is 4 cords. I should be able to get all that done before it gets hot out in the spring, all of it dead standing oak so it is ready to go.

I should be able to round up enough wood by this time next year to last me for the next 3 years depending on were I go. I have some river bottoms about 1/2 mile from my house bulging with dead standing ash but it is going to flood hard this spring so that will probably have to wait until fall to get it out.

All the oak is from MN lakes country and can be had just as soon as the snow starts melting, right now it is too deep to get to without snow shoes on. Found that out last weekend walking in to take pictures and start planning.

If I can't find a used wood furnace and have to buy new, it should pay for itself in 3 years or so. I have burned through about $250 worth of propane so far this year, but dang, you can't beat a heated garage when it is -20F and windy out!

I'm all set for next year stacked out the woods waiting for the move to the woodshed this spring, I bough myself a Xmass present (Stihl 361) so I'll be playing with that like a little kid just as soon as the snow goes....life is good!!

Got all the trees down and limbed. Half of next years fuelwood is bucked and sitting in a big pile. The other half needs to be bucked and then trucked and piled.
Will do the splitting when the snow melts and before the flies wake up.

usually 1-2 years ahead just peck away at it in spare time
handy for winters like this when the stuff indoors gets low cause this frikin winter just won't let up
bob

I'm working on wood for the next 2-3 yrs right now. I've been deligently cutting several trees up. Maple, walnut, hickory, oak, elm, hedge, etc. It's all bucked up in a big ass pile in my back yard. Next will be splitting it and stacking it.

I do have plans for a wood shed though. I have all the lumber for the framing. I just need the tin for the roof. Going to make it 12'x40'. That should be big enough.

I'm going to use hedge for anchors. they should last a long time to come....

20 cord split/stacked on pallets under a tin roof.
5 cord split/stacked on pallets in the open.
7 cord in rounds under snow
16 cord in logs

We are on track to use 5-6 cord this winter....maybe 7.

So if we don't sell any more, then we are good for 7 more years. Provided I get off my butt and get splitting now.

Side note: I've been averaging a face per day, three times per week, all that work has paid off, lost 17# in the last four weeks of working the splitter and stacking.

Ya got me beat.

15+ cord Willow in ricks drying
8+ cord Locust in ricks drying.

That is last years cut that is added to:

10 cord Locust fully cured and 4-5 cord willow cured (from past years cut).

Harry K

I had 11 cord cut split and stacked by end of last summer, then I have another cord or so in rounds and I am on track to only use about 4 or 5 cord this winter.. so I am all set for next year already and maybe 1/2 of the following years is done also. Also my new wood storage shed, big enough to hold (hopefully) 2 years worth and the splitter and chainsaws should be finished in a few weeks, maybe a month or two depending on the weather here ( which hasn't been cooperating). :)

I figure once I play with my MS361 for a bit this spring I will be all set for the next 2 to 2-1/2 years. So yeah, I'm a happy camper..:cheers:

I plan on restocking yearly though so I will always be at least 2 years ahead.

:clap:

Next years wood?.... Only in my dreams! 5' plus snow in the woods here right now put a damper on my winter cutting for a bit. I have a 6 cord log pile to finish up cutting for this year still.

I like cutting in a nice hard dry frosty spell and its been snowing, raining etc. plus I had no wood to cut until yesterday :clap: Now I've been promised loads of it, so here's hoping :greenchainsaw:

Now, if only it would dry up, and that tractor hurry up and arrive.

I've just been to see my timber for next year ... I'm gonna be busy for a few weeks ... great stuff will post some pics later.

Cheers

:)

Last edited:
Just started on the 2010 supply....still need to spend a couple of days at the woodlot, get enough to carry me thru this winter...around 7 cords so far.

38 cords ready....we're done for my lifetime:bowdown: . ....or, at least until the Great Warming.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Pinnochio

Cut & split 10 cords for next years wood before I started on this years. Stacked it further away since I'm hoping to build a woodshed close to the OWB this summer. Living hand to mouth for this year although I'm up to 2 cords for immediate use.

I'm almost done for next year, just a little bit left to cut. It's finally starting to warm up a bit so it's about time to head to the woods again!:chainsawguy:

Back