How much did you burn? (and the winner is...)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluCllrSchlr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know many are still burning a bit to knock the chill off, but does anyone have know how much they burned already? Was it more or less than last year?

This was our first season with an insert. It did pretty good at heating the 1st floor. We have oil heat and I haven't checked the bills yet to see how much we burned/spent/saved. But I only burned about a 1/3 of what I though I might--about 3-1/2 cord.

So who gets bragging rights for most & least?

Started with 24'x20'x5.5'

(guessing)Right now have 24'x6'x5.5' left.

So if Im right,I started with 20.6 cord and have 6 left.

normally burn about 4.5 cords per season. don't have a lot of room in my yard, so can only store one year's wood in advance.

last season was extra rainy and damp. compounded with my letting my Oak stay in 3ft rounds on the ground....

that's a mistake I will not make again.... lost over half of my wood due to rot. mushrooms growing out of logs is not a good sign...

compound that with last season's early winter temps meant I was low on wood middle of winter. scrounging for wood deep in winter is not fun!

Tulsa offers all the free wood you want at the green dump. there's always a few enterprising folks splitting wood at the green dump to sell.

About 10 cords this past season - not much different from last season. Learning to choose the wood and fill the firebox to fit the temperature helped reduce wood use, colder weather increased it.

Still burning through April (probably), but using very little wood at this stage.

I'm guessing between 7 and 8, based on the number of pickup loads I needed. I burned more than normal through the middle of the season, but the last few weeks have been very mild, requiring less wood. Overall, I think I'll have burned a little more than last year.

I'm sure the OWB people burn more than me, but I am probably on the high end for an inside stove.

BTW - My other heat for the house is electric baseboard. Haven't used it.

About 12 cords this year. A bit more than last year, but:

1. The wife also kept the house warmer this year.
2. It was a colder year than last.

We added insulation to the attic (we could tell it helped) and a lot of the wood I was burning was poplar/ash, which burned fast. The Taylor stove (IMHO) likes larger pieces of red and white oak.

Right at 7 cords. More than in years past because I lost my source of kiln dried air compressor tank spacer boards when I switched jobs last summer. Have had to make up the difference with split wood.

I just got done working the last 2 1/2 days putting that 7 days worth back in the wood shed. I'm still a year ahead but I'm going to have to cut more in the future.

The norm around here is roughly 5 cord. But with this winter so far it has been 10 cord and still counting. Snow coming in today and tomorrow :cry:

Ed
Stay Safe Out and Up There
:chainsaw:

I am between 7 and 8 cord heating house and dhw, but still burning. I will end up at 8 cord, Hawken gh1000 owb. Can someone tell me how to post pictures I want to show off my wood pile a little. One more good day and I should have enough put up for 3 seasons. This way my wood will be able to season for two full years which these large pieces need!

I am between 7 and 8 cord heating house and dhw, but still burning. I will end up at 8 cord, Hawken gh1000 owb. Can someone tell me how to post pictures I want to show off my wood pile a little. One more good day and I should have enough put up for 3 seasons. This way my wood will be able to season for two full years which these large pieces need!

Here's a good thread on posting pics.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=65204

About 4.5 cords for me. Already have next years worth split and drying, and much more to split for the fallowing year and so on....I'll stockpile it untill i'm up to my ears.

Latest posts

Back