How much did you burn? (and the winner is...)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We burned around 6.5 cords. In the previous years we probably seen 8 or so when the weather wasn't as bad. I figured I saved 2+ cords a year and next year it should be lower because the wood will be fully seasoned. Quite a difference with the new furnace.

i think i'm a winner so far......not that i'm proud of it !!
i would have to say i burnt somewhere between 20-23 cord this year..
i don't rank it all and do the math obviously, but based on other years that's what i come up with...
it was cold and WINDY here this winter, i used probably 70% more wood than in previous years.....(neighbor with similar OWB says about the same overage for him too)

did'nt spend a pennie on oil or probane for heat though......that's a good thing

In the past two years I burned between 4 and 5 chord. This year MAYBE 2, it has been an incredibly mild winter. I has probably averaged 10 deg warmer than normal. All through January I was leaving for work at 6:00am and reading mid 40ies on the temp dealeo in my truck!

i think i'm a winner so far......not that i'm proud of it !!
i would have to say i burnt somewhere between 20-23 cord this year..

did'nt spend a pennie on oil or probane for heat though......that's a good thing

:clap: Thank you! I didnt want to win this one.

No money spent on propane in 2 years!

:clap:

No money spent on propane in 2 years!

Yea the only money I spent on gas the last 3 years is hot water heater and cooking stove. about $35 per month. I burned less than last winter and already have almost all of next years wood cut split and stacked about 8 cord stacked and ready.

I think between 5 or 6 cords for my first year. My highest gas billl was 40$. I am trying to burn up some nasty, half green, boxelder. I'm going to be cutting down three more in my yard, so I'll have plenty to burn.

I used 6 of these trailer load this year a little less then last year.
TEDMI

000_0781.jpg

Went through 3 1/2 last year and this year I've gone through that again with almost nothing left except a few pieces and some stuff i got right at the begining of the winter. Thats two years of wood only heat using my Napolean stove which is super efficient with 1500sq to heat. I have to use some oil to heat the basement workshop but used less than a half a tank over the last two years. I think I'll put in 4 cords a year from now on just so I don't get this low again.

that's a mistake I will not make again.... lost over half of my wood due to rot. mushrooms growing out of logs is not a good sign...

No, not good, but not fatal. It will still burn.

I'm looking at about a half cord more than last year, but I've been burning differently (tried top down burning!), and I split bigger chunks this year. That has given us more heat for less wood. I'm sure I'd have been a full cord more otherwise.

You guys need to try top down burning!

I think burned the least in this group - only 2.5 cords of 90% oak with a little cherry, ash and maple mixed in. The Jotul is very efficient, and my house is well insulated. I sold 6 and gave away to my sister another 3 cords.

A little more this year than usual. In my case though, it's because I'm so fat on wood that there has been no inclination to be conservative. Tonight is an example. It's 44 ouside, and about 65 inside, and I just lit the stove. Usually I wouldn't bother to light up in this situation, but I've got plenty of wood, so why not be toasty.

Right on 7 cords so far, probably just under average of 8 for the full season. 2200 sq ft, and needs to be better insulated.

A little more this year than usual. In my case though, it's because I'm so fat on wood that there has been no inclination to be conservative. Tonight is an example. It's 44 ouside, and about 65 inside, and I just lit the stove. Usually I wouldn't bother to light up in this situation, but I've got plenty of wood, so why not be toasty.

Spike, I hear ya man. I sent some box elder up the chimney last night after the basement thermometer hit 65, years prior I'd have let it get down to 60 before lighting up, but hey, why not!

Very nearly have next years wood cut split and stacked, and should be well into making my 11-12 supply before heat and bugs drive me out of the woods for the summer sometime in May.

This year I started with 10 loggers cords stacked and split into half ended up with 8 neatley and I also had 1 cord from the previour year. I just tonight let in go out for the season I like to exercise the furnace a couple weeks in the fall and a little in the spring. total I burnt 7 and a half cords thats about average for my 3200 sqft home with many north facing windows

This season I figure around 25 cord. Last season it was around 30 cord.

My two brothers and I hauled around 75 cord home and I burn more than they do. Maybe closer to 27 or 28 for me.
Last year we hauled about 100 cord home.
I guess we were slackers this year.

It's looking like 10 cords this year, not counting all that Box elder. 12 if ya do.

I gotta get busy with cutting while getting busy with farm silly season this year, as I didn't get ahead for next year.

Anybody know a good chiropractor?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've only used around 2 cords give or take a half cord . my house is small so it takes very little to heat. Most of the time when my old Fisher is burning I have to open windows and doors so we can breathe. LOL

Back