How much Wood do you Burn a Week in Cold Weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, guess I gotta figure out how much my wheel barrow holds. What I burn also changes with the seasons. Still burning Poplar, white pine, sassafras, but mixing in oak,walnut, ect for the over night burn. If it gets cold and stays cold thay really up our wood consumption, and we switch to hardwoods exclusively. Shoulder season its typically about half a barrow an evening. This time of year it's about a barrow and a half. Once it gets cold and we're burning around the clock 2.5 -3 barrows a day.

I only burn a few campfires a year because electricity is so much easier and cheaper but not too long ago It would have been easy to burn 4-5 cords a winter in the old drafty house I used to live in. I have a new firepit coming soon that claims its smokeless so pretty soon I'll be burning a lot more!

Well that is quite the operation and wood pile to back up your usage!

You have made a lot of custom equipment, thanks for sharing. Remote controlled hydraulics?
Looks like you are getting a lot of use out of that electric Stihl as well.

Depends on outside temp .. duh... :) but about a 'face cord' per week now given it's colder. Variables are also if I use softwood (shoulder season) or hard wood. I process and store the two differently so I can be selective in filling up the firebox (BK King). Tonight and next couple days will be cold here (28F/-2.2C) so twice a day fillup.

Every answer will be vastly different.
Live in the mountains of western VA and run a CB 5036 and heat a total of 5500 sq feet......all hydronic.
Burn nothing but seasoned white, Red and chestnut oak, occasionally ash.
10 years with this boiler and consistently burn 7 - 8 cord per winter.

another thing to consider too is are you also heating DHW, how warm are you keeping your house, and is wood your primary. For me I do not have a number, but I heat DHW and ALL my heating is wood, I do not burn propane ever.

Don't have a choice to burn wood when all you have is a wood furnace. I have thought about hot water with it, but truthfully I wouldn't burn over summer just to heat the hot water. Its a waste of wood imo. Preheat during the winter months and use the hot water heater as a pass through would be a good idea.
I'll be the first one to say I wish I had secondary heat. When it get bellow 20*f every 10 to 12 hours the furnace needs filled up. Doesn't give much time to go anywhere over winter.

Don't have a choice to burn wood when all you have is a wood furnace. I have thought about hot water with it, but truthfully I wouldn't burn over summer just to heat the hot water. Its a waste of wood imo. Preheat during the winter months and use the hot water heater as a pass through would be a good idea.
I'll be the first one to say I wish I had secondary heat. When it get bellow 20*f every 10 to 12 hours the furnace needs filled up. Doesn't give much time to go anywhere over winter.
My brother is the same way, only a wood furnace.
He has his own sawmill so an endless supply of wood but him and his wife can't go away for the weekend during cold weather.

We use solar tubes, as opposed to solar panels for the hot water in Summer

Latest posts

Back