How Much You Paying for Bar Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back in the fall wally world had the poulan bar oil for 5.50 a gallon...i bought 8 gallon...wish i would have bought about 20 gallon. now its like 8-9 dollars.

I think walmart is like 6 bucks. I like to go the 55 gal. drum route which comes out to about 4.50 bucks a gal. but im even cheaper than that an i reuse old motor and hydraulic oil :eek:. I run it threw a small screen to strain out all the clumps and stuff. I mix it about 50/50. and before any one say anything i have never had an oiler go bad from my little mix.

Does anyone know that it is definitely worth the extra for the Stihl or Huskie branded B&C oil? I've been trying to stay away from the cheapo stuff, but the Wallie Mart had $5/gal of the Pull-on oil, and I couldn't pass it up. Been a bit afraid to use it, especially in the cold. How bad can it be???

I payed $7 a gallon for Stihl oil at my dealer last month. I heard all the talk about it being $12+ a gallon, so I stocked up. I have been hearing talk about the price being high, and every time I am in it is still $7 a gallon, so I buy 6 more gallons. I think I have 20+ around right now.

I was in there the other day and they changed everything around and got a bunch of new stuff, so the price might be higher now. They are a John Deere dealer, and sell Stihl stuff just because, now they upgraded there Stihl lineup to get more buisness. I am guessing they found out they were not making any money on there oil.

bar oil today: Stihl brand from dealer $14.48, tractor supply brand $9.90, Homedepot powermax $9.99,Husky stuff @tractor supply $12.75, poulan @walmart $8.50.....I find Stihl and poulan very similar to the point i wonder if there is a difference at all and the tractor supply stuff the tackiest i have used. I wish i could find the prices others mention .

The new bar oil prices from some distributors are much lower and as soon as the dealers move the expensive stock out the price should drop. It is a substantial difference. Start asking because the difference in the case pricing on one brand amounted to buy 3 get 1 free compared to a while ago.

Does anyone know that it is definitely worth the extra for the Stihl or Huskie branded B&C oil? I've been trying to stay away from the cheapo stuff, but the Wallie Mart had $5/gal of the Pull-on oil, and I couldn't pass it up. Been a bit afraid to use it, especially in the cold. How bad can it be???

For what it is worth, I have used gallons and gallons of Walmart oil. We cut 1 million board feet of cottonwood in Iowa with Wally oil (SuperTec), several Amish guys and myself all used it, and I still use it. I still have two of the 28" bars from that job several years ago and some of the chains, there wasn't any oil related failures then or after from using Wally bar oil.

I have some Jonsred oil that I got cheap, and when I'm done with that I'm gonna use the Canola oil route.

I use Stihl and GB bars and only Stihl Chains if that makes any difference, I don't know, but so far I haven't observed were going cheap on bar oil, made much difference?

My experience,

Sam

if your buying oil for half the price aren't you saving enough for the possible extra wear?7 dollars savings everytime you buy 1 gallon seems to me would add up.

I would agree, but I don't know that there is any extra wear. So maybe it is just pure savings, LOL.

Is there anyone with any actual proof, and not people like me that "think" there isn't much difference.

I mean for instance if you use Stihl bar oil and then cut stumps everyday, then the quality of the oil is pointless, cause nothing is going to save that bar and chain when cutting dirt all day.

I think there is just too many other variables to make exacting statements that $14/gallon bar oil will make a bar and chain last longer than Wally oil, Canola oil or used engine oil for that matter.

I'm not much on the used engine oil deal, but that is just me, if someone uses it and they don't notice the chaining getting spun into dust, then I guess it works.

Likewise if it makes someone feel better to use 14+/gallon Stihl bar oil, then I guess that is fine, but I don't think there is much point in it.

I use Amsoil at 50:1 instead of 100:1 .... I guess, I'm being wasteful as well, LOL.

Sam

I've read here on the forum that, according to those posting about it, Poulan as one gets at Wally World comes in different qualities/formulations. The stuff here in my area [green jug] acts and looks just like regular 30W motor oil. I mean, no stickiness at all and runny. I gave the one gal. I bought to a friend who didn't care. It was, for bar oil use, junk. Someone on the forum said one time that another version of Poulan oil comes in a black jug and is ok. I don't know, never seen any of it and I'll stick with Stihl now or Echo, which I suspect is the same stuff as it appears to be. Both available here for less than $10 gallon, I've been paying $7.95 for Stihl the past year.

Ya, what he said. I just make sure to use real maple syrup, not that fake, junk like Aunt Jemima.:biggrinbounce2:

In all seriousness, I bought a gallon of red max winter grade for 6.75 earlier this month. He said the price will be going up next shipment. I have never tried the redmax oil before, but it has been working well so far.:cheers:

Andrew,

When you say real maple syrup, I'm thinking that's code for Richard's Maple Syrup. I start every morning with Richard's Maple Syrup on top of my McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal.

Joat

Went to vist my first Stihl Elite dealer Saturday, Denver Co. Stihl Bar oil by the gallon, $19 and change. Nice old man that tried to answer my questions.
To be fair, store was located within a Home center, I'll keep looking!

I'm not much on dumping toxic waste in the woods, but that's just me...

I assume you use Canola oil exclusively then?

Have you had good success with that?

Does it get sticky with age. There are a couple of other guys here that have somewhat inspired me to go to new .... not used cooking oil for the bar oil.

Sam

went to the local hardware store they were having a garage sale. saw gallon jugs in the case for $10.00 figured 10 for jug brought it to the counter and she said 10.00 i said i hafta get some more brought 4 more cases slipped her a 50 and scurried off as fast as i could. so 2.50 a gallon.
and i'm good for a couple years now.

Back