How's your 2017 firewood coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How is you '17 wood supply shaping up?

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 plus cords of aspen already bucked. Another two or so cords of dying/dead trees nearby. Once I get through those I'm FINALLY done cleaning up geriatric aspen (at least until the next summer storm). It's been easily 35-40 cords of cleanup I've done on these overly mature trees over the past four years.

I have another cord and a half of mixed birch and maple bucked from last spring

Once that's all done it's ALL high quality scrounge from here on out (besides the occasional storm cleanup). I have a dried up beaver pond that is full of small American elm snags, a few bur oak blowdowns, and lots of pin oak blowdown. All of this requires ATV skidding but well worth it for the quality.

I wish I had the poplar on the down slide but was back there on the weekend and there is more down. We've just been dumped on and heavy winds so there will be even more. I'm only hauling ash home for now though the poplar is just so dang heavy so I'm leaving the poplar in the bush until spring. Over Christmas I'm likely going to cut out a section that has blown over near my landing. Not taking any of the small stuff anymore either, just cut the logs and branches that are 7" or bigger. Cut it down, back up with the grapple, drag it 400', cut it into 13'-4" and stack it up until it loses some weight. It seems like it pulls twice as hard as a load of ash logs.

Depending on what I end up burning this year, I should have a cord or two of 2 year CSS to carry over and then start on the 3 cord CSS holz hauzen I've almost capped off with cherry/red oak/maple/poplar I cut in October. Been working on splitting up the dump truck load of logs I got from a buddy clearing off some woods. Then the FILs monster red oak he had taken out this summer by the power company. Trying hard to get 2-3 years ahead. Plenty on the ground at neighbors houses I'll work up later this winter.

2018 wood sitting in my driveway, dumped it there 6 months ago. Should have stacked it, but after dealing with wood all day, it's not sonething im too excited about doing at home too.

At the rate we are burning so far this year, I have more then enough cut and split to make it through next winter with some left over.

Currently 15+ cords sitting on the ground now to be split with untold more waiting in the wings.

Ive since added 2 more loads to this pile and 1 load not in the picture.

629735c460ef731248a6863621f714d3.jpg

I'm trying something new this year. I'm going to spend the next couple of months thinning a couple of areas and felling some dead-standing elms. I'm gonna make some stacks of 8' logs. Then in the spring and early summer I'll do the bucking and splitting.

Hopefully this way I can maximize my opportunity to skid logs on frozen ground and when the time comes to split wood, I'll have more friends who are willing to brave the weather.

So far I probably have about 4 cords of logs skidded out and another 4 cords on the ground.

Large red oak limb that fell this summer with many branches. Half a cord or more of easy wood. 20 rounds of dead on the ground red oak I've bucked but not pulled out of the woods. A couple dead reds near my tree stands. Some white oak and maple pole wood where the loader pushed brush down into a ditch. A 12" black oak that fell last year on my buddy's farm. And I guess anything else that pops up from now til then.

This is my first year so not sure how much I will use in upstairs fireplace and downstairs stove. I am selectively pulling from what I cut and split earlier this year for use this winter, which although short seasoned is amazingly dry in many cases due to our seemingly endless sunny, windy fall drought here in ATL, combined with my stacking layout that had almost everything consistently in the sun. Not sure how much will be left come spring, but right now I have about 10 cords, about 2/3 of that is already split and stacked. Greatest quantity is red oak, followed by hickory and a little each tulip poplar, maple and sweet gum.

Edit - Almost forgot I also have between a cord and two of Bradford Pear.

Funny you say that. My wood here in The foothills of NC is mostly hardwood (red maple, white/red oak, hickory) which typically takes a few years to season. I swear with the weather this past summer I have some pretty dang seasoned oak that's been stacked maybe a year and a quarter.

I have about four or five cords of mostly Red Oak and Hickory with some Elm and Hackberry thrown in, to process.
All in 12'-20' lengths, 12"-24" diameter.
There's plenty of blow downs to fetch out of the woods as well.

As I'm also a couple years ahead perhaps I should clarify.

What wood do you have slated to process in 2017?

Have 17/18 & 18/19 stacked in the backyard. So I'll be going after windfalls again in 2017, for 19/20 - mostly maple & birch.

I actually didn't get all I had bucked up, split & out of the woods this year (one beech there), and I've got some split & stacked in the woods still (had some serious intervening issues come up this fall - turned out to be the worst year ever personally) since I wanted to get my splitter home & the snow was bearing down. So have a head start on 19/20 now too.

Maybe. With the way this winter has started out - I am wondering if I will have to dip into the 17/18 stuff before it's over.

I got most of my wood on pallets now. But its all bon fire wood for a 6 foot fire pit.
Yeah it works good for entertaining guests

IMG_7818.JPG
I added to the pile on the left since this picture was taken with elm for 2017 plus some oak in random piles - done for 2017 last year. The pile of primo oak on the right is for 2018 plus a lot of standing elm drying in the woods.IMG_0349.JPG Built a roof to put milled boards under to dry plus keep some of the nicer wood so it won't rot before I get to it in a few years. Feels great to be ahead, but I still have plans to get some elms down next week and get the reserve back up to a full 3 years.

2017/18 wood was split and stacked in march 2015
2018/2019 was split and stacked this past march
2019/2020 wood was cut last winter and laying in rounds right now
2020/2021 wood is still standing but will start hitting the ground soon, we just got the ground froze here

I have had my 17 wood split since May. Because of Knee surgery in June I havnt cranked a saw since. I did manage to get everything stacked in the dry Thanksgiving week. Nothing on hand to work on, and no real prospects in the near future. Probably start looking for scrounge next spring. We have put the house up for sale, so I dont want to get real far ahead.

2017/2018 wood was split and stacked in Spring 2014
2018/2019 wood was split and stacked in Spring 2014
2019/2020 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2014
2020/2021 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2014
2021/2022 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2022/2023 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2023/2024 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2024/2025 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2025/2026 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2016
2026/2027 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2016

This is assuming burning 5 cord a season. I burned 4.3 cord last winter. I will be, on paper, working on wood for 2027-2028 season this winter.

Back