I Believe...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removal of chainbreaks is one of my pet peeves. There was a time when a lot of "pros" did that and I was saddened that the meaning of pro had changed from
professional-literally one who professes/claims expertise but generally indicative of a high level of competence
to
pro- see idiot.:rolleyes:

Happily the pros on this board are mostly real experts with a high level of competence. Personally I'm not rabid about a functioning chainbrake (although I do find it useful occassionally per Spydy's explanation). I am insistent about having a handguard. Controlling kickback isn't a big issue for me on small saws but the handguard serves another purpose beside activating the brake-it keeps your hand from going into the chain if you get sloppy and don't wrap your thumb around the handlebar like you are supposed to. It also keeps alot of junk from stabbing you in the forward hand.
Sorry MB but you aren't appearing to be very bright.:(

I love the CB!!

I am thinking of getting an Ibuki to ride along with my zubat so I can leave the chainsaw on the ground........

The Zubat needs a chain brake. I was letting a friend use mine. When he came down nicked and bleeding, it occurred to me that sharing a Zubat is like sharing needles. :eek:

Removing the chain brake is stupid. A bunch of guys from San Louis Potosi (Mexico) that were clearing cedar on the family ranch were using 026's with no chain brake and to top that off, they used bolt cutters to remove the rakers on their chains :confused:

S-T-U-P-I-D

It's good to hear everyone likes their CB. Maybe when I wear out this 200 out, I'll leave that CB alone. Who knows?

RJS, so you liked my first 350 posts? Let me know if their are any points you would like me to re-interate.

I'm there for ya, bro.

Butch, sometimes the chain brake is a real PITA, but all things considered, I'd rather have it than not. I call it insurance. I've never taken the plunge either, but it's sure good to know that I'm tied in.

I personally needed the chain brake several times while on the job the past few days, and the chain stop saved the goodies a few times as well. Glad mine works and never will tamper with it.

When I do pine removals where you take 2 steps up, cut, 2 more steps, cut. It is nice to leave the saw running (WITH THE BRAKE ON), but I wouldn't think of it without a break.
Some of the necks around here will take the break off of a brand new saw (you can do a better flush cut that way). When I start to rag on someone for this they will usually say it broke off. How in the he!! did it break off???BS you took it off.
Gimme a break man!!!
Greg

I don't own a tophandled saw as I climb with a 346 and zubat combo. I do use the chian brake constantly when climbing and while on the ground, and feel that it's cheap insurance. I was taught to ALWAYS start a saw with the CB on and ALWAYS engage it when taking 3 or more steps on the ground. I would be a nervous wreck working in a tree with a saw that doens't have a functioning CB. I also don't think that hanging a running saw on your lanyard is a good idea even if the CB is on, but to each his own.

My saws have a CB but I hardly ever use them. When I cut through a limb I just cut the saw off. I dont drop start them either. I have left them in place, but I have never had it activate (never had a bad kickback). Most of the time when it activates is when it gets bumped by brush, but it may one day help. To each his own.

Carl

I got to thinking on this thread, is in not law in the States (or some) to have a functioning CB??? Here (Ontario) it is, for commercial purposes, Homeowners don't need a CB, but to use a saw for profit, it must be functional. The Health and Safety act also states the the saw must be 'in a good state of repair' and 'be properly tuned so that the chain stops when at idle' or something to that effect.

Matt, Rules rules rules.:rolleyes: Isn't that dandy that the government has a rule that the saw must be properly adjusted? There must not be any repeat business for saw mechanics. After all it was properly adjusted when the owner started work and it just can't ever go out of adjustment or he'll be breaking the law that very second. WOW, Canadian shops have to be GOOD! As for making a profit...... I ain't never seed one 'a dem.
I'm not picking on you personally Matt. I do agree that safety equipment should remain in place and saws should be properly adjusted. I just think it ridiculous that Big Brother thinks he has to mandate it. Let stupid people remove themselves from the gene pool post haste via their own folly.

I do agree that at times law and rules can become overbearing... but I think in this case it does put some onis on the saw owner (company owner) to maintain equipment, because if there was an accident and a faulty saw was partially to blame...

As that owner, it can be nerve wracking once and a while, but it keeps our saws running well. I don't know if there has ever been a case in which action was launched, perhaps, but I'm not sure.

Besides these are things that should be done anyway and probably our saws last longer this way...

I'm also not saying that everybody abides by these rules, not everybody wears their seat belt, and I've seen some scary saws out there;)

I know that when I was in the tech center back in high school, they had a bunch of saws which were without chain brakes. Those saws also hadn't seen use in several years, or were being replaced QUICKLY. They would not let anybody use a saw that didn't have a properly functioning chain brake.

Top Handled chain brake

I remember a while back on some chainsaw site seeing a chainbrake for a 020T that was a sort of bar/cuff that would hit the right wrist if being used one handed or one hand on top, one on side.

Originally posted by TreeCo
lumberJack wrote:

"I dont drop start them either."

How do you start a saw in a tree if you don't drop start it?

Dan

FYI: ANSI specifically allows for drop-starting in certain circumstances.

"Let stupid people remove themselves from the gene pool post haste via their own folly."

Wouldn't that be nice. Too bad the stupid ones seem to be the most prolific breeders and usually leave a herd of dependents to put on the government dole.

I was thinking of taking off the chainbrake, the bar cover, the front handle and any other extra pieces I could find. Who needs to carry around all that extra weight?;)

Newfie, You are, unfortunately, so very right. It terrifies me when I contemplate the birth rate of pupid steople compared to intelligent souls. Another reason that "welfare" is evil-it actually has encouraged the stupid to breed. They would have done so anyway but......:rolleyes:

On my climbing saw I pull the cord, not drop the head. On my ground saws (044) I do the same with the 20" bar, but with the 28 and 36" bar if you drop start them then the tip of the bar will hit the ground. So on those I normally do it like they show in the book, foot through back handle and push down on the d handle. I like having the CB's but like I said they have never activated from Kickback and normally I don't engage them. I leave them in place though, because on day they may save my face. Also if you have never used them in 27 years like MasterBlaster, then a device like that could be a saftey hazard, like when he is trying to peel cut and the CB hits the trunk stopping the chain in the cut sending the limb the wrong way. This is my opinion, I like them, but if someone doesn't then don't work beside them, but also don't ride them like a whore about it, that is there choice and in America we have that, so yes he takes them off, we disagree, some more than others, but there is no point in wishing the ignorant to remove from the gene pool, educate them. In our opinion MasterBlaster is being stupid, not ignorant. Stupid is when you do something and you know better, ignorant is not knowing any better.

Carl

If my CB fell off my 200T I wouldn't replace it. I never use it and have never needed it; leaving a saw running between cuts is just more noise and pollution going into my body, no thanks. :mad: It does get in the way but I'd feel wierd about taking it off. The "whatifs" would be distracting.

If it was off, no, Tom, I wouldn't show others it was the "right" tool to use.

I'm 100% with using handaw and polesaw for most cuts and leaving the chainsaw for big cuts only. Polesaw allows much leverage; 6" cuts not hard to do clean if you get in the right position.:)

Latest posts

Back