I Believe...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay LJ, Please reread my posts. Stupid was the word I used not ignorant. it was a strong statement for effect. My point is that no longterm good comes from an overweaning government trying to protect us from ourselves. For the record, I do not wish MB any harm at all.-Though I do wish he'd leave his Chain brakes operational for his own sake, that choice is HIS-not some bureaucrat's.:angel:

The true meaning of anarchy is a system where the people act in such a way that enforcement is not needed... They take care of themselves... So far, no licensure in Pa. for arborists... that could change if the beaurocrats see an opening. Licensure is primarily about revenue generation and only secondarily about protecting the public... A local township around here requires building permits for residential fencing... What's next... got to get a permit to plant some tulip???
So as an industry self-empowerment works... Learning the details of the DOS AND DONTS here and elsewhere has been great for me... How about you?

Daniel

My rebutal for the government issue is , you and I and our fellow professionals are here and other places, learning and conversing.

However many people/companies do not educate; rules and regs help (if only somewhat) to ensure that the 17 year old kid working for the absentee/doesn't care boss, doesn't cut his face or legs up with a chainsaw the second day on the job. Sure there will still be some scary things out there, but with 'the man' in the back of their minds hopefully they will at least think about training and safety for employees

Yes We Need All The Laws

Common sense doesn't cut it. If there were not laws demanding safety regulations a large number of employers wouldnt enforce them. It is only the knowledge that they are legally liable that makes them work. Some people do have the presence of mind and good fortune to remain unscathed despite ignoring safety regulations; many others would be in trouble pretty quick though.
Some people make a career out of resenting and defying any forml of authority, even if they know it is for the general good. I wonder why.

Frank

RockyJSquirrel, you said:

Most government employees are perfect examples of people who work in such a protected environment. I'd rather shoot myself than live like that.

I say BS :angry: .

Rocky says he'd rather shoot himself than work like that, also that he did it for two years; fortunately he's not too fast with a gun eh? You guys are worse than I am for trying to get a row going! LoL!
With the government or any highly structured organisation, there are just so many arses to cover and so much potential shoot to pay if something goes wrong that this becomes the order of the day. They do have an excellent safety record though.

Frank

Hey! What happened to my thread? Has it been hijacked by polly-tic-ers?

Remember?

Chain brakes SUCK on T/H saws!

Should be an option, like mc helmet laws.

And I would decline the option.

Tankuberrymuch!

Government jobs...
I see Rocky's point, I do believe, however that not all government jobs are the same. As a young man I worked for the forestry department, and we busted our butts from the time we got to the job to the time we left...{of course not everyone did, but then that is the way with just about every job I have ever had.}
CB. There is only one reason I could see to remove a chain brake, and that is to make it easier to one-hand cut with a saw. I prefer two, so of course I prefer leaving my chain brake in tact.
Welfare overpopulation...
Of course idiots overpopulate society...common sense is anything but ... "Common".

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Hey! What happened to my thread? Has it been hijacked by polly-tic-ers?

Remember?

Tankuberrymuch!

MasterBlater, to get back on your topic; If you were an employer do you think it would be a good idea to outfit your employees with saws equipped with operational chain brakes?

You seem to be having a hard time selling your position to either the Wood-tics or to the Poly-tic-ers.

Frank

Actually, I'm not trying to sell anybody on anything. I was merely curious if anyone else does what I do. The OSHA police on this board reacted exactly as I expected them to. I was suprised at the personal attacks on me. Thats cyber-space, I guess. Tiny people can appear bigger than in real life. No biggie.
If yur sacred to death of yur chain saw, the CB will probably ease your fearfull mind.
If yur scared, say yur scared. :cool:

Hey Butch, do you not buckle your kids seatbelts when you you go for a car ride, or are you a big chicken? :eek:

This topic is not about being afraid. This is about common sense, and more importantly, proper tree care. Most of us are here to have some fun, but also to advance ourselves and the industry.

Safety devices on a saw go hand in hand with personal protective gear, do you wear any of that? I don't imagine you do, it would make youy look like a sissy. That hurts you because the public percieves you as a hack, seeing you work unprotected.

I have read most of your posts and they seem to have a common theme, that you do tree work like a bull runs through a china shop.

The internet does allow others to anonomously speak their mind, which I think is good at times. They don't have to be afraid that you'll step on their head for telling you what, perhaps, you should be hearing more often.

Last edited:
Tiny people can appear bigger than in real life. No biggie.
If yur scared, say yur scared. :cool:
Butch I was about the only one who semiagreed with you, saying I'd personally rather not have a cb on my 200T. But calling those who want to leave theirs on for reasons of safety or setting a good example to the less proficient "scared" and calling on them to confess their fears is pretty extreme.:alien:

Plenty of ways to demonstrate fearlessness; I'm reminded of the colleague on the utility crew who refused to take time to read the label on the Tordon bottle before using the stuff, and called me an anti-production ***** for doing so. He bragged that he'd drink the stuff. I quit that job after two weeks; later heard he'd gone from foreman to supervisor. The guy knew NOTHING about trees then and probably not now.

Show your macho any way you want, mb, but don't dis those who take a different approach to proving themselves.:mad:

Tiny people can appear bigger than in real life.
:D

i run my saw with the intensity, power and reverance of a laser; once put in command of the power, i handle it responsibly. Select fire. Bzzzzzzzzzz click turn click Bzzzzzzzzzclick, making each run potent, using the brake asif it was part of me, or the saw; doesn't matter as saw eliminates anything around me as an extension of me. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz. click. gone.

So, now

Maybe i am

the

Mass'rBlaster!!!!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz click!

Originally posted by Stumper
Let stupid people remove themselves from the gene pool post haste via their own folly.

To add to what Matt said, these laws are out there to protect workers from idiot employers. I don't know about up there, but OSHA standards do not apply to a sole proprietor/sole employee operation.

You and I can be as stupid as we want, untill we get one person working for us.

Last edited:

Tankuberrymuch!

I thought that that part was worn out. The CB is there for a critical situation that rarely happens on the individual level, but can prevent catastrofic injury if that event does occure.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
OSHA standards do not apply to a sole proprietor/sole employee operation. You and I can be as stupid as we want, untill we get one person working for us.
Amen and Hallelujah! Some regs don't fit some people, and that's fine--I rarely wear hardhats, Butch takes off his cb, etc. But aside from employees, us renegades might think about the image we portray to clients and the public. We dis ourselves and the profession when we take a lot of careless shortcuts, or demean colleagues who hold different standards than ours.; not the way to more $ and more respect.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
That's how I started out, but I found that with keeping sharp cutters the chain would,pick the dickens out of my lanyard.

Soooooooo, i putt the lanyard on right to throw lanyard left with right hand, and keep it from saw. i keep lanyard, handsaw, slings on R. Chainsaw, spare krabs, rescue pulleys on L. Lanyard slack to the rear. Only short hanging stuff (higher than saw) on L, nothing long/low haning(except chain saw) or synthetic. Handsaw extends reach, and is on reaching hand. Am R. handed, i like friction hitch that serves up to the R.

Really like Sherrill's aluminum snap on lanyard, VT tied straight to D, with lanyard lacing through D, to form D as 1 hand adjuster/tender, and save bridge, weight and gear of extra link hitching adjustment device to saddle with krab, clevis etc..

Latest posts

Back