I Believe...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I'm scared of my saw, but if I didn't make it clear, I also respect it for what it is and can do. I don't let that fear paralyze me though. I use it for what it was meant to be used for, all the while giving it the utmost respect. The second that respect goes away is the second it bites. Hard.

It's not like I've been running a saw for just a couple of days or months either. I've been running a saw for well over 10 years, not on a daily basis though, but frequently enough. I'm 24 now (I know, I know, I'm still young, but my 5 month-old makes me feel a LOT older at times. Probably just gonna get worse, right?:D), and I believe Dad gave me my first saw lesson when I was in the nieghborhood of 10 years old. I was big for my age, but the Jonsenreds 630 was (and still is) a mighty big saw. I learned respect for that saw (and all others) at a young age.

I'll also admit that I don't use the CB probably as frequently as I should. Perhaps that comes from my little Poulan without a CB (it does have a hand gaurd though). I've cut a lot of wood with that little green machine and I've always had to pay extra special attention to what I was doing. The brand notwithstanding, I wouldn't DREAM of taking that saw up in a tree because of the lack of a CB.

Maybe my respect for machinery and equipment comes from an upbringing that taught me that from the get-go. It never hurts the respect for that equipment when you see your grandfather's left hand with only a two nubs where the four fingers were and a nub for the thumb.... Got it caught in a corn picker many years ago.....

I know it was another thread entirely, but as to the cost of books, MB, you don't have a leg to stand on.... I will agree completely with what Nate said about the cost of books in college. $84 is NOT expensive. ONE book (out of about 4 for the class) cost me $150 about 4-5 years ago (Time Saver Standards for Landscape Architecture). Was it worth it? Yes, I still use it. Harrison Flint's book, Landscape Plants for Eastern North America, cost me about $95. I still use it. I didn't have to buy it, but I bought Dirr's book, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, used for about $45. I use it too. I'd hate to think about the amount of money I spent on books over the four years I was at Purdue. That is just part of getting an education though.

But then again (this is a cheap shot, I know, I probably shouldn't take it, but after all of the comments I've seen from MB so far, I will), I do know how to read a book....:blob2:

Dan

Last edited:
i have been cruising this site for about a week now and never posted anything but i have to say the comment on addmitting your fear is just macho bull having fear and still doing somthing means you have courage having no fear means your not smart enough to fear somthing just my humble opinion. i most definatly respect a saw and i aint no *****.one other thing goverment regs came about becuase to many people were getting hurt i feel they help to an extent.

Originally posted by mikecross23
Good thread Master Blaster. No chain break? Mine are all intact and will stay that way, but I sure did get a kick out of all the bitterness in this thread!!!:D

-Mike-

Me, too. I express my opinion and all the junior OSHA inspectors come out of the closet.
For those one or two who responded civilly and with concern, I thank you for your imput. For the majority that was unnecessarlly rude and obnoxious, you can all bite me.

i think.........

It is a better sign of dynamic wealth of contribution and purpose here for forestry/biology/physics etc. students to get more introspect from this site than socioligy/psychology/anger management etc. students.:D

True, as a community of folks the latter is inescapable, but hopefully we'd be here for higher level student's education on any front, so wee don't have to make it so easy for 'em(socioligy/psychology/anger management etc. students); so they would have to exercise and expand reaching to see these things (of their lessons).......

Orrrrrrrrr something like that!
:alien: :alien:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dan F
I'll say it: I'm scared to death of my saw. Know why? 'Cause I know what it can do in that momentary lapse of attention......

Dan

Know Fear & Let KnowLedge Replace it! But, Maintain Your Respect!

Acknowledge rightful fear of such ripping, shearing, instantaneous power so close;

Let knowledge and command actions tame that beast that is bigger, more pwerful, hungry than thee;

But never let your guard down, and always stay wary.

For me that means maintianing the provided power to instantly disarm beast, and carry/ move it muzzled. Only allowing it's ferocity to feed in the direction and time i command, to the task of my bidding. Then muzzle it to civility immedieately with no free breaths, tough life; don't be reborne as one of my saws!!!:eek:

Originally posted by Spyder

.....A voraciously, hungry beast behind the metal who's insatiable hunger you ab-use by sliding gruel you want .......'cut'.....For a hand is a candied treat compared to the dry crumbleys you force it to be satisfied with; while every day it drools for sweet blood & meat as any other BEAST! As any powerful, proud animal sits eyeing you it's temporary captor, waiting for you to drop your guard and get within it’s reaches.

Don’t ever forget you but run a bluff around ferocity, to distort it to your bidding, but never giving the upper hand, or any other body part, scarf etc. connected to thereof.
Don't give the SoB the Freakin’Satisfaction!

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr Something like that!

:alien:

Well, they don't have chain brakes, and nobody jumps on them! :)
I can click that brake on in a sec! Just for manuevering it in close quarters.

This is MY baby!

chain

You always leave your chain that loose, now that's scary. I could see a little daylight getting through if that were a different tip on the bar but with that tip you might want to keep that chain a little tighter to cut down on wear.

As long as we're bumping old threads 2nite...

I just wanted to say that I leave the chainbrake on my TH saws nowadays. Ya'll's outcry made me stop and reconsider my opinion on the matter.

I still like my TH hitch, though.:) But I have gone over to a splittail to maintain the original length of my climbing line.

Not too old of a dawg....

Not yet!
beerchug.gif

Back