I need a new climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need a new climb saw. I`m not up with all the new stuff. I curently use an old Echo CS-301 . Great light saw but a bit under powered for big removals. I`ve used the Husky 338 and hate it so don`t waste my time suggesting this unbalanched shockmiester. In the past I liked the Stihl Ms 200 but latley they have been using the stupid gas/oil caps . So I am picky a bout climbing saws , who isn`t. Whats your favorite climb saw???????????????????

Sorry, been here a lot, Sthil ms 200t, best there is, nothing else is a close second!
Andy

Depends on what you are doing. For trimming I like the 200t (yeah the caps suck but it is still the best top-handled saw out there.) But the saw I love the most and use every day on removals is my 357xp. A bit heavy, but plenty of power to do what you want in a tree, plus I've always preferred a rear-handle saw while climbing. (Besides, swing this saw around in a tree for a few weeks, and you'll get used to the weight.);)

just got a 192t doesnt stay running today was its first dav out of the store
will it come into it/? or does it need to go back

i gotta agree w/ beowulf. a rear handled saw is better for anything more than a deadlimb. i use an old 262. it was heavy for about a month, but it's worth it in the long run.

we have 2 192s. i personally think that they are great pruning saws. they are light weight and very comfy to use. they dont have much power, but to me, the light weight for climbing around far out weighs the lack of power. we have had ours for alittle over a year and they both run great, even in the cold wi winters. they are great for prunings, but for removals, nothing beats a 200t.

MS200t bar none. Stihl's recent repositioning of the compensating tube eliminates my only gripe with this saw and shows Stihl is out there, listening and improving their climbing saw.

What are your problems with the quick caps????

I have them on my 361 and 044 as well as my 200t, they're fast, easy to use
and bulletproof. What's not to like?

RedlineIt

inztrees said:
just got a 192t doesnt stay running today was its first dav out of the store
will it come into it/? or does it need to go back

Take it back and have the dealer readjust the carb!
Andy

I'd have to go with the only one I've used/owned-
Olympyk 935DF. :D Like it, gas tank pops out easily if it needs to be flushed. Got it for $20 or $30. (I think like $27) I've had throttle linkage issues (need a new one, it is bent, I can't bend it right, and it sticks. I've surprised a few people with its power for such a little thing.

I have a 335 XPT, but I also use and enjoy a rear handled saw while climbing.

I would tend to think a 346 owuld be a bit easier to climb with than a 357, but what the hey!

ms200, but i would get the bar with the plastic insert. It balances the saw even better i think and well worth it.

pbtree said:
I would tend to think a 346 owuld be a bit easier to climb with than a 357, but what the hey!
Ha Ha, too easy, that's the problem. I have a terrible tendency to one hand my saws when i'm in a tree. The 346 is light enough for me that it is no problem one handing. But the 357 with a couple extra pounds makes me stop and think and put both hands on the saw before cutting.:D

Like most of the other veteran climbers I feel that the ms200 is the best choice, particularly for removals. However there are two things about the ms200 that really annoy me. The first is of course the stupid new gas and oil caps. But what really gets to me is that regardless of whether it's an 020T or a ms200, it's just a matter of time before the muffler rattles loose and eventually fractures into pieces. This was never a problem with the old magnesium 020's, which I believe were the most powerful climb saws ever made. I have e-mailed Stihl about their stupid caps and flawed muffler design, and am not surprised that they have not replied to me. I'm sure they do quite well selling new mufflers to their frustrated customers!

Other manufacturers have a very good opportunity here to produce a saw that can meet the rigorous demands of a demolition climber, and successfully replace Stihl as the top dog in the field now. It's really too bad that Stihl doesn't listen to their professional customers feed back and correct these relatively minor design flaws, but hey that's their problem, and eventually they'll pay the price in lost sales.

Any of you other guys had problems with loose and fractured mufflers on 020's and ms200's like I have with every single one I've bought?

jomoco

I have e-mailed Stihl about their stupid caps and flawed muffler design, and am not surprised that they have not replied to me.

I'm not surprised either. If you can't figure out the worlds simplest gas cap, there is good reason to believe that mufflers are beyond you.

THE ONLY muffler problems I've ever seen on 200t's are mufflers that the customer removed to do god knows what with. After that they rattle off.

Left stock, never heard of a problem.

RedlineIt

Biased

My opinion is very biased but have you tried the Jonsered 2135t???
might be worth looking into. we have had it on the market for a few months now and have not had many complaints about it.

Redline......the worlds simplest gas cap? Never heard of ANY other problems?

Keep you head buried in the sand and you will continue to see nothing.

I have used the 200t for a long time. There are MANY DOCUMENTED problems and th oil cap is one...and so is the carb. I use the 200t because it is the fastest cutting hand held.....but nothing is perfect about it.

Back