If CB Radios were hot what would your saw handle be.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was Dogbreath. I stole it from Hill Street Blues. I was never into the lingo but I did have a foot warmer and could talk skip to Hawaii sitting on the cliff overlooking the Pacific.

Hmm, Smilin Possum should find this thread later.

River Beaver is mom
Angel Bunny- sister
Colt 45- g-paw
LC- g-maw
fishhook- uncle

A bunch more. SP drove for 17 years I think.

I was appointed Wild Hare, but Id pick Little Possum

I was never particularily interested in CB, even during the "Craze" in the 70's. I did have C.W. McCall's LP's though, and really like big rigs.

My Grandfather was a Ham, from back in the 1930's. One morning, he was on the radio with a guy in Hawaii. The morning of Dec-7, 1941. He was talking with a guy in Pearl City. He heard the explosions starting, over the radio. The guy ran oputside, saw the Japanese planes, then came back inside and exclaimed that they were under attack on the radio. They both immediately got off the radio, for radio silence.

My Grandfather passed away 30 years ago. He was a WWI vet, fighting in some of the nasty battles in France. Got a tiny wiff of Mustard gas; had a bad cough for the rest of his life. My Grandmother came in to the room where he had the radios; she said he gave her a deathly look and said "My god Ma, we're at war; the Japs are bombing Pearl Harbor".

I was talking with my uncles about this a few months ago when they were in town. They were Cub Scouts then, so about 8 years old or so. They reemember the Army coming to the house, talking with my Grandfather, and taking his radio gear, which they returned shortly.

As far as the Army could tell, my Grandfather was the first person on the mainland to know of the attack. They told him to remain silent about it till official press releases ect.

My Grandfather was also in to CB's. He started with tube based gear. In the 1960's, him and my Uncle hot rodded a couple. They put out a lot of power. A lot lot more than the FCC rated wattage. One of those, a Pace base station, still gets used.

My Grandfather used to talk to folks all over the US on CB, when he had skip conditions. It helped that he had power... and good antennaes up on his tower. He'd sit for hours in front of those HAM and CB radios, listening, talking, drinking Folgers brewed like mud, and smoking Camel un-filtered.

Sad, later on his QC cards got stored in a shed that had a leak. He had QC cards from all over the world. They were ruined. Hundreds and hundreds of them.

CB really changed in the CB craze of the early 70's. In the earlier days, I remember my Grandfather and Uncles just using thier real name and call letters. And, they spoke pretty normal. There was some jargo, "over and out", "10-4", but not the evolved langauge that came about during and since the "craze".

Last edited:
Back