Iowa Fall GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I missed another good one. We decided to go wheeling down in Missouri instead one of these day I will make it to one

Had a Great Time:

Here's me cutting a 40" dia. cookie. Hard to believe my 36" bar on the Stihl 084 had just enough length for a one pass buck:

IowaGTG01.jpg

Being a woodworker, what stole the show IMO was this sawmill operation. Start with an ordinary ladder, a couple of 2 x 4s and a shop-made jig. Mount the ladder to the log and get a flat edge first:

IowaGTG02.jpg

And I do mean a flat edge. This was smooth as silk:

IowaGTG03.jpg

Then make a second pass to remove the flitch. Dead on accuracy:

IowaGTG04.jpg

Keep going with subsequent passes and you have a collection of really nice plainsawn boards. Nothing could be much easier. My hat is off to this workmanship.

Nice pictures. Just don't let BobL see this, he'll give me a lecture about milling posture. Although I did learn my lesson on milling into the wind on the first pass.

Here is a link to the pictures of the mill build if you are interested. Photobucket Mill Build and First Use

Here's me cutting a 40" dia. cookie. Hard to believe my 36" bar on the Stihl 084 had just enough length for a one pass buck:

IowaGTG01.jpg

Being a woodworker, what stole the show IMO was this sawmill operation. Start with an ordinary ladder, a couple of 2 x 4s and a shop-made jig. Mount the ladder to the log and get a flat edge first:

IowaGTG02.jpg

And I do mean a flat edge. This was smooth as silk:

IowaGTG03.jpg

Then make a second pass to remove the flitch. Dead on accuracy:

IowaGTG04.jpg

Keep going with subsequent passes and you have a collection of really nice plainsawn boards. Nothing could be much easier. My hat is off to this workmanship.

Man am I sorry that I had to leave before this took place. I was looking forward to it, hope that we can get him to bring it again some time. I have never seen a chainsaw mill work before and I'm looking forward to seeing it some time. What saw did he have on the mill?

I got home at exactly the same time that my cousin arrived, can't get better than that. JR

Man am I sorry that I had to leave before this took place. I was looking forward to it, hope that we can get him to bring it again some time. I have never seen a chainsaw mill work before and I'm looking forward to seeing it some time. What saw did he have on the mill?

I got home at exactly the same time that my cousin arrived, can't get better than that. JR

I had a ported 394XP on the mill running a 32" bar with 3/8 low-pro chain and a custom made 8 tooth sprocket. Too bad you didn't stay, I explained how to build the whole setup to Mark and we had a good conversation on the common misconception of 3/8 low-pro chain being a different pitch then regular 3/8 chain. It's not a different pitch but takes it still takes different drive sprockets and tips.

Man, you guys had a blast for sure. I would surely love to make the next one there or anywhere up north for the matter. Glad you guys had a great tiime. Thanks for the picks and vids!

One other misconception is that I had anything to do with the preparation or organization, Mitch deserves 100% of the credit for getting everything set up...all I did was holler at lunch time and hand out the gifts.

Mark

P.S. Shaun was so fast milling that cedar that most of us didn't even see it happen.

One other misconception is that I had anything to do with the preparation or organization, Mitch deserves 100% of the credit for getting everything set up...all I did was holler at lunch time and hand out the gifts.

Mark

P.S. Shaun was so fast milling that cedar that most of us didn't even see it happen.

O I had some help, you don't get to bow out like that my friend lol. Although, I'm starting to question the existence of that pork loin. I saw the crock pot but not a sole seems to have seen any meat.......

My lovely wife did put more effort into this event than I anticipated. Figured she would "find something else to do" for the weekend. She has commented several times how nice every one was to her. Really made her day.

I missed the milling as well.

O I had some help, you don't get to bow out like that my friend lol. Although, I'm starting to question the existence of that pork loin. I saw the crock pot but not a sole seems to have seen any meat.......

My lovely wife did put more effort into this event than I anticipated. Figured she would "find something else to do" for the weekend. She has commented several times how nice every one was to her. Really made her day.

We are pretty good at knowing who to kiss up to if we wanna have another one!

next time

She's pretty conservative:msp_scared:

We can babysit for a little bit so she can run some saws. There is always room for more entries in the Chicks with Chainsaws thread.:msp_ohmy: It was nice meeting her.

Thanks to all; Mitch for hosting, Shaun for his milling work and offer of the Xl, Edwin/Mark for making me feel welcome, the door prizes and to those who let me run their saws. My head was on swivel trying to keep up with all the action.

Brian

I had a piece of that pork loin and it was great. What I can say besides it pays to be at the front of the line when it comes to lunch time. I saw Marks name on a few of the dishes holding some marvelous desserts, if it was him or the misses someone deserves some credit there as well.

I'm glad your wife enjoyed talking with everyone. I was pretty impressed that she would even fathom hanging out with a bunch of chainsaw wielding maniacs like us. It was too much when I found my crock-pot scrubbed clean waiting for me to take it home. That was just over-the-top hosting. Tell her thank you again for me.

I'll bring you up a piece of walnut soon to replace the one that was mistaken used for time cuts and we can have an encore milling session.

I'm here to tell ya the loin was great. I was saying some goodbyes and Mark said to make a sandwich to take with so I did. I also made one with the White Chicken Chili. Man was that good. I forgot now who said his fiance made it, might have been scarr55, but it was mighty fine. If possible my wife would like the recipe, as you know, I'm wasting away and she wants to fatten me up. JR

Back