Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 111 as well... Great little saw. I actually have an oem 115 P/C sitting here for it that I will most likely never need.... I bought it off ebay about 5 years ago they said it needed a new p/c but when I received it there was no spark and the p/c looked good. Luckily the 115 with the broken case that I had worked as a donor for the coil/flywheel to. Weird but the coil/flywheel both needed to be changed. They had diff electronics entirely.. Now its my loaner saw nobody can kill the little beast.

@August76 can't tell what length bar you have on it. I'd go18 no more than 20 3/8 on it. 7 pin. Just my 2 cents.
I have a 111 as well... Great little saw. I actually have an oem 115 P/C sitting here for it that I will most likely never need.... I bought it off ebay about 5 years ago they said it needed a new p/c but when I received it there was no spark and the p/c looked good. Luckily the 115 with the broken case that I had worked as a donor for the coil/flywheel to. Weird but the coil/flywheel both needed to be changed. They had diff electronics entirely.. Now its my loaner saw nobody can kill the little beast.
Opening up the muffler made mine really wake up

Opening up the muffler made mine really wake up

I may have... I usually do but been too long to remember.. I know its as strong as any other stock 50cc saw I have ever ran. Not quite as fast as the newer saws but more torque .. The 115 is supposed to be better yet.

I'm guessing it's a waste of time to Port this shitbox too?
Bury it in the garbage as a spare or sell it during storm season.
I guess if you'd never ran a better saw you wouldn't know better
after owning the dcs6421 my expectations are a little high for most saws. I guess the 372xp sets it even higher and my 372xp is a bone stock 2018 model so it's not even that powerful compared to the older ones
No sir ... this gent can make her move right along !

Not much you can do to make her loose weight. She’s a pig, bottom line. Handling ain’t great. Porting will definitely change it up, but you’re still left with the heft. I’d much rather spend the money on the 372. Lightyears ahead to start. I ran a ported 38mag before. It was a torque saw, so still not a tremendously fast cutter.

Not much you can do to make her loose weight. She’s a pig, bottom line. Handling ain’t great. Porting will definitely change it up, but you’re still left with the heft. I’d much rather spend the money on the 372. Lightyears ahead to start. I ran a ported 38mag before. It was a torque saw, so still not a tremendously fast cutter.
Yah , 372xp old school .... the new 372xp xtra-turd can’t hold a candle to the previous non-epa limited saw !!!

The caber rings are better than OEM piston rings and there isn't enough difference in the tecomec and the OEM piston to make any noticeable difference to anyone. The Piston skirts and everything are exactly the same height it is clearly a dog there is nothing that you can do other than porting it that is going to make a hill of beans difference but thanks for the suggestion. I went down that route of consideration when I rebuilt it
No video?

Mines the little 61cc but its a peaky saw compared to the super and magnums. Porting must have been a little different/better. Still running the Tilly. Now I want pull my bar and weigh the power head. I swear it doesn't seem much heavier then my 2065.

I have an 038Mag with triple port muffler but haven't run it in a long time, I did get out the very good condition original 272xp and ran it a while, same bore and stroke of 52mm x 34mm as the 038Mag, and I quickly noticed that I have been spoiled by the trigger response of the newer saws...the time to rev to full rpm is much better now, so I can't wait for the 462 and 500i

I have an 038Mag with triple port muffler but haven't run it in a long time, I did get out the very good condition original 272xp and ran it a while, same bore and stroke of 52mm x 34mm as the 038Mag, and I quickly noticed that I have been spoiled by the trigger response of the newer saws...the time to rev to full rpm is much better now, so I can't wait for the 462 and 500i
Where in PA Derrick?( may have asked before.) york co here.

30 years ago I was a ground man for a tree crew and slung a 038 Mag around all day. Recently, I picked one up and nearly hurt myself. I was in great shape back then but didn't need the reminder of what 30 years of blue collar rough-and-tumble can do to ya.

Older and wiser. I'll stick with the modern stuff

Its just really slow like the mac super 250. Both cut the same on the saw mill.
Pine is easy wood to cut so its not like im cutting oak.
Cuts like a damn homelite lol

Back