Knives, phones, and belt toys.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious what the rest of you wear on your belt when you go to work every day.

I have a cell phone, obviously, and a big Swiss Army multi-tool on me at all times. I can live without the cell phone, but I feel naked with the multi-tool. I also carry a Fiskars folding hand saw in the leg pocket of my Carhartt`s. Perfect fit. Nothing better or faster for dealing with branches that argue with the chipper.

I have a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto point in my work bag. Not the most efficient work knife, but it`s sharp (no serrations) and very well made. It spends most of it`s time cutting my lunch. I bought it because the store had one on the shelf and it`s cool and I always wanted one.
http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

I bought my climber a Spyderco Rescue last year as a gift. I was sick of watching him use cheap Made in China McKnives. This has got to be the sharpest knife I have ever seen. Cuts climbing rope like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Hard to find a better work knife, I think. He never wears it, though. It stays in his work bag.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=12

Handles are g10 with steel liners and that setup is extremely durable. G10 is a great material for knife handles will take untold amounts of abuse. Not familiar with that particular knife but it looks well made.

What does The Dan carry like that? Take a guess.

A high quality glass blown bong for pre and post work celebration?

I dont keep a knife on me at work, I guess its just in the ignorant hopes I never have to use it (cut my or someone elses bridge to get out of a tree).

I carry a Spyderco Police knife with a combo blade--serrations and plain. It has VG-10 steel and sharpens like a banshee. The handle is stainless, so I don't have to worry about chemicals or paint messing up the finish. Just put a little wd-40 or gas or whatever to clean it.

I like to wear my Gerber multi tool when I can. I don't wear it in the saddle though. It is very handy to have during everyday work. I don't have a cell phone, don't like how they look hangin off of people either, it makes me feel like I am working with programmed robots who are just begging for their next instructions and are afraid to be out of the loop, but each to his own. Personally, I like the fact that people can't contact me during the day, I can focus on the task at hand 100%, though they are handy for a quick change in plans.

I always wanted to wear a leather snuff holster, like a tape measure holster, they carry the toughest stance around and demand respect.

..... it`s sharp (no serrations)

..... the sharpest knife I have ever seen.

How sharp a knife is when you buy it is ZERO indication of the quality of the knife. It's possible to get a very sharp edge on mediocre steel, though it's harder to do than with good steel.

How well it holds, then takes an edge is what tells you the quality. Until you've dulled it, then sharpened it, you don't really know the steel.

That said, there's sure nothing wrong with the steel in the Cold Steel line, and Spyderco, plastic handles and all, is one of the best working knives out there.

I bought my climber a Spyderco Rescue last year as a gift. I was sick of watching him use cheap Made in China McKnives. This has got to be the sharpest knife I have ever seen. Cuts climbing rope like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Hard to find a better work knife, I think. He never wears it, though. It stays in his work bag.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=12

I carry the Spyderco Rescue also at work.
I wear mine on a cord around my neck under my shirt.
If I'd bought the hi vis version, it'd be the perfect knife.

This is my 4th Spyderco, they're worth every penny.
I really like the hole instead of an opening stud. :cheers:

Reach, if there so good then why are you on your 4th one? lol. I should get one on my saddle somewhere, for the cut down if needed, I've always figured I would use my handsaw if needed, but a knife would definitely be better.

Last edited:
I have a Spyderco Delica that I bought last year, best knife I've ever owned. I like the look of the rescue....is that the one with the beaner clip? Mine holds an edge very well...hope I never have to use it in a rescue!!!!

How sharp a knife is when you buy it is ZERO indication of the quality of the knife. It's possible to get a very sharp edge on mediocre steel, though it's harder to do than with good steel.

How well it holds, then takes an edge is what tells you the quality. Until you've dulled it, then sharpened it, you don't really know the steel.

Agreed. I have been buying and using good quality knives for twenty-years, I know the difference between top shelf and scrap. It`s not difficult to buy a good knife. Stick with the brand names, read some reviews, spend a few bucks, and odds are you`re going to get a good, well made knife.

That said, there's sure nothing wrong with the steel in the Cold Steel line, and Spyderco, plastic handles and all, is one of the best working knives out there.

Absolutely. I`ve never owned a Spyderco myself, but I`ve used my climber`s knife and read lots of reviews of their knives. In one review, I think it was in Guns & Ammo, the authour wrote about cleaning a Cape Buffalo with a Spyderco knife. No small feat.

Reach, if there so good then why are you on your 4th one? lol. I should get one on my saddle somewhere, for the cut down if needed, I've always figured I would use my handsaw if needed, but a knife would definitely be better.

Nails, I own 4 different models.

I bought the RESCUE FOLDER in case I had to cut out in the tree,

The ENDURA FOLDER and the MILITARY FOLDER are my everyday carrys.

The FB23 AQUA SALT Fixed Blade is my dive knife.

Different tools for different task.

You really ought to look into getting the RESCUE or the ASSIST. :cheers:

I like to wear my Gerber multi tool when I can. I don't wear it in the saddle though. It is very handy to have during everyday work. I don't have a cell phone, don't like how they look hangin off of people either, it makes me feel like I am working with programmed robots who are just begging for their next instructions and are afraid to be out of the loop, but each to his own. Personally, I like the fact that people can't contact me during the day, I can focus on the task at hand 100%, though they are handy for a quick change in plans.

I always wanted to wear a leather snuff holster, like a tape measure holster, they carry the toughest stance around and demand respect.

The loop? What's up? Did you hear something I didn't? what is it? Tell me I gotta know.
This one new guy smeared a camaro with the top-kick talking to somebody while driving. I had just said something to him about always yapping like that and not paying attention, well the next day he opens up the drivers side of this sports car and freaks out this kid girl real bad. He was good friends with the boss and was fired on the spot.
I could actually see the anxiety build in his head when he was not attached to his phone. It was plain to see that whoever was on the other line with him was telling him what to do.
I have a cell phone, its in my wife's car. I usually have it my bag for the day, its a clock too ya know, as it helps but you are right, I don't like the distraction. I can't do businees on a job really anyway. I can order lunch though... and a few other things.what's up with this snuff stuff? Chewing baccy or SNUFF?

Last edited:
Snuff comes in a can, chew is in a bag. Maybe dual snuff holsters so you're packin backup. I can see the showdown now, will somebody Q the tumbleweed.........

I carry my cellphone in my pocket in case I need to call 911 to get myself rescued and listen to it ring as I realize I can't get to it because of the leg strap. :bang: That rescue spyderco has been on the list in case I need to cut myself some slack, I mean down. I like the suggestion to hang around ones neck. Not on my belt but the camel back is a handy item in the tree alone with some powerbars. I also carry a 30' cord which is used to pull the saw up to me after I reach the first branch to save some weight on the ascent. Come on guys I am starting this gig at 50+:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: .

Back