land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratos3012_zpsa162662c.jpg

I don't mean to sound like a wise guy but if you would cut that wood to 14 inches long and stack it under that roof in this picture for a year or two I bet you could double your price. Do people burn all that green wood? Nobody in the states would pay for wood cut up like that.

Last edited:
This is Ireland, Mang. Green wood is fine for many of the locals. In fact, I have never heard the term 'seasoned wood' here ever except from myself. Remember that coal and peat are both used extensively. Wood is usually used on top of that, so it doesn't have to be seasoned as much. Ash burns very well unseasoned. The main reason I have seen for wood is the sentiment. Coal and peat put out more heat, for much longer. But it is romantic to have a big chunk of wood sitting on top of it. The fireplaces here are mostly too small to allow for an all wood fire.

I could use a bit of coal today. It's windy and cold. All I have is my Superser. It puts out a LOT of heat, but is costly to run as it eats up the butane fast. Butane here cost about 10X what propane cost me in Texas.

It's expensive, often cold, and often rainy. People ask me why a Texan is living in Ireland. My best answer is usually:

Birdhill, Killaloe, Ballina, Loch Derg, Ireland Photo Gallery by WYK at pbase.com

And that's just the tiny tip of it.

How'r things goin', Bud? It's been dry the last week and a half here in Tip. Last weekend in Bray, it snowed. It was beautiful. I'm headed back up to Bray tomorrow to see the girl. Not much sawing lately since my chassis is still over in Wales. :(

I'm gonna sit down to some of that Aldi choc chip Brioche I just got. mmmmmm

stratos3012_zpsa162662c.jpg

I don't mean to sound like a wise guy but if you would cut that wood to 14 inches long and stack it under that roof in this picture for a year or two I bet you could double your price. Do people burn all that green wood? Nobody in the states would pay for wood cut up like that.

mentioned this over a few times,i don't sell the wood this narrow,those rings are quite big actually with a 3foot diameter,we only half them so they are still fine and big,size depends on customer,i can have logs 6feet long if they want them,i don't care about size,all about what customer wants.

also,a lot of my wood is stored and covered,not all is fresh,but sometimes it goes out fresh if i'm really busy and people don't mind,hardwoods here can be burned green,people don't mind,actually a lot of people buy from me now this time of year and have it ready for next christmas,so they season themselves.

i have lots of pics but can't get time to update,busy busy busy,will update soon.
not every day i can take the camera,our last cannon got runied with saw dust...and we just got a new sony cypershot,was expensive,so it's up to my missus when she decides to bring it,i must buy a cheap camera for updating here,not a bad quality camera but just one for pics only.and i can use it at work too.a lot of camera have way too much fancy options on them like our new sony one,but for work i just want one that takes pics only,so i won't mind if that gets damaged cause it will be cheaper to buy one like that just for work.

later
logger

Last edited:
First of nice to see you again!

On the camera you can get one of the compact outdoor models. They usually don't have a lot of options and make decent videos too. Last years models are usually this time of year on sale.

I was wondering something else. Since you have changed your hardware some time ago, wouldn't it be a good time to ask one of the mods to add to your title the new saw?

Greetings from the south!

logger,
good to hear from you again! :) Hope everything is going well with the cutting, and the family also. Look forward to more of your updates when you have time to post them. As I've said before, "it's always better to be busy working, than busy looking for work.....". :hmm3grin2orange:
Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

ok for the last month or more we are at a completly new side of the land,tell you something,it's photobucket that is the reason for lack of updates,it's gone very slow,they have changed the website and now it's nothing only a nussiance to upload there,when i click on the links to upload my pics videos and advertisments pop up and they slow everything down....

anyway,not to worry i have some updates.

we got some fantastic amounts of beech out of here,going here again today to bring more home,we are not processing the wood here in to firewood because the land is too wet and we can't get in at all,we got to throw all the logs out over the ditch,it's easy enough to do and we are cutting them small.some very big beech trees here.

one thing to NOTE sales here at the moment for firewood have pretty much stopped,since the start of march the phone just stopped ringing,but it was the same this time last year and it picked up again and we were busy all through last summer to meet demand.

we are on our way now in a few minutes,the weather looks good,the last two weeks have been reasonably dry and this was badly needed for the land because it was a swamp in some patches here.last year was one of the wettest in irish history.

new001_zps9384fd8b.jpg

new002_zps737b2448.jpg

we must have got back up to 8 loads of this beech in the last two weeks,we are going to bring back another 3-4 today and tomorrow now.

new003_zpsff738315.jpg

DSC000391_zps72cc45a8.jpg

DSC00040_zpsf8647288.jpg

DSC00042_zps94b33406.jpg

next updates will be all the trees i cut here and more loads we got etc,even though sales have slowed down a lot it's always good to stock up the firewood to make life easy later.

till next time,photobucket might be faster next time.... :msp_mad:

Last edited:
nice load of beech today out,happy with it,nice relaxed day,nothing too major,spent an hour here,wood was cut already two weeks ago and just to load up and go.

DSC00125_zps7006303e.jpg

DSC00126_zps9f31fbc7.jpg

had to laugh at this clowd on the way home from limerick today giving us the finger LOL....

DSC00124_zpsac652c0c.jpg

i need to wear this cause my chest gets wheezy from the dust and smell of the saw!
it's better for the health long term,this is a good quality mask and it's not anoying to wear,it's rubber and fully sealed.
prevent many lung diseases maybe i hope,it's not worth getting bad health from chainsaw fumes,just my
2bobbs worth

What do you burn, Lagger or whiskey ?

Some updates!

some updates.

ok we have been very very busy,we had a great spell of dry weather for the month of march and april here,that was short lived though cause it's back to the rain again :msp_angry:

the short dry spell saw great progress in the woods and opened the doors for us to access more areas of the woods,areas that normally would have been out of reach,we were now able to drive in to the fields for the first time in almost half a year :msp_sleep:
i really don't want to moan about the irish weather cause god knows when i stop if i start :msp_wink:

i got a lot of updates guys so you might have to turn back a page or two when i'm done to catch up.
hope you all are safe and well.

in the few dry weeks we had we cut up more of that fine spruce,now starting to show some early signs of drying.

now with where we are cutting at the moment requires us to start bringing the wood home again and processing it here.

Back