Let the low ballin begin!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here all the local orchards always as far back as I can remember used Amish. Now every one i know of has brought Mexicans in.I guess the Mexicans are even under cutting the Amish.
LXT I live in Lawrence county right north of you,we really do not see many Mexicans around here but they are slowly coming in.
As far as the Amish working,they are good. We had an Amish family's house burn down(2 or 3 kids died). People gave a lot of donations in money and material.The Amish put up a new house in under 36 hours,they were like ants.

These Mexicans down here around me work for close to nothing. It's unbelievable.

Ive heard Texas horror stories, but up by me there not the worst. Theres only one co of Mexi's that are doing stoopid, but it doesnt bother me much cuz there around a third of my price on removals, but it takes em' 3-4 days of wood packing in pick ups when it only takes me 1, and there using 5-6 guys when I run 3. There killing themselves and there equipment(I see there truck at the mechanic all the time). Its the out of work contruction guys and crackhead drunx that are effin up it over here. Luckily, nobodies shopped me yet, but all who've called are regs, referals, or stuff booked last year that finally get the go ahead on. I pray for some of these hacks, Im waiting for news of one them getting hurt, or worse.

I've been glad to make many amish friends throughout the years, and they are just like any other group, some good, some not so good, some they don't let out of the cellar.

I just cut firewood part time, so I don't have much to ad other than the Amish do pay taxes. Just not SSI.

"Just like the rest of us, the Amish are not exempt from life's two certainties -- death and taxes. However, there is a reason behind the persistent myth that the Amish do not pay taxes.
The Amish live within self-sufficient communities and do not collect Social Security, unemployment, or welfare benefits. According to their religious beliefs, paying Social Security, an insurance premium for the elderly, is tantamount to not "taking care of their own." Amish people who are self-employed are not obliged to pay Social Security tax, but they do still pay all other taxes, including property, income, and sales tax. If an Amish person decides to work outside of the community, he or she must also pay Social Security tax like any other American.

In 1955, the IRS extended the Social Security Act of 1935 to include farm operators. At the time, some Amish people immediately complied with the tax, while others conscientiously objected to it. Many felt that it violated the separation of church and state, some did not want to accept monies for government programs, and still others believed that paying a commercial insurance for the elderly went against their trust in God to take care of them.

The IRS and the Amish played a convoluted shell game for close to a decade, until it all came to a head with the seizure of a struggling farmer's horses in 1961. The Amish elders stuck firmly by their principles, and the ensuing media and community outrage over the incident led the IRS to relent four years later. Tucked away in the 1965 Medicare Bill was a clause exempting the "Old Order Amish" and other religious groups that conscientiously objected to paying insurance premiums from Social Security tax. To be exempt, the group or sect must have been established prior to 1950 and maintain reasonable provisions for their elderly."

There are alot of mexs here working in packing houses. It seems people around here now what they get when they hire mexs. They do alot of roofing, havent seen too many doing trees.

I just cut firewood part time, so I don't have much to ad other than the Amish do pay taxes. Just not SSI.

"Just like the rest of us, the Amish are not exempt from life's two certainties -- death and taxes. However, there is a reason behind the persistent myth that the Amish do not pay taxes.
The Amish live within self-sufficient communities and do not collect Social Security, unemployment, or welfare benefits. According to their religious beliefs, paying Social Security, an insurance premium for the elderly, is tantamount to not "taking care of their own." Amish people who are self-employed are not obliged to pay Social Security tax, but they do still pay all other taxes, including property, income, and sales tax. If an Amish person decides to work outside of the community, he or she must also pay Social Security tax like any other American.

In 1955, the IRS extended the Social Security Act of 1935 to include farm operators. At the time, some Amish people immediately complied with the tax, while others conscientiously objected to it. Many felt that it violated the separation of church and state, some did not want to accept monies for government programs, and still others believed that paying a commercial insurance for the elderly went against their trust in God to take care of them.

The IRS and the Amish played a convoluted shell game for close to a decade, until it all came to a head with the seizure of a struggling farmer's horses in 1961. The Amish elders stuck firmly by their principles, and the ensuing media and community outrage over the incident led the IRS to relent four years later. Tucked away in the 1965 Medicare Bill was a clause exempting the "Old Order Amish" and other religious groups that conscientiously objected to paying insurance premiums from Social Security tax. To be exempt, the group or sect must have been established prior to 1950 and maintain reasonable provisions for their elderly."

Thank you for the info. So...they do pay taxes...kinda??

Last edited:
I've been glad to make many amish friends throughout the years, and they are just like any other group, some good, some not so good, some they don't let out of the cellar.

Ya , I have only met a handful myself. I met an Amish man once and was invited to step into his house. It was really cool, like stepping back in time. His kids were playing with wooden toys and I remember hearing the gentle hiss of gas lamps on the ceiling. That guy actually turned himself in for shooting a deer that he realized was about 30 feet on his nieghbors property. 30 FEET!! He was in the woods with NOBODY around...except God. I was with the Game Warden of that county. I also met a chain smoking, beer guzzling, taxidermist "amish" guy who was NOT impressive at all. I also remember non amish folks complaining about amish wanting to use there phone and asking for rides to walmart. I guess it just takes all kinds...just like any other group of people.

These Mexicans down here around me work for close to nothing. It's unbelievable.

Why cant the government see there killing us its simple math for every illigal ther is an americans job lost and i dont want tohear that there just doing jobs we dont want to do we just cant afford to do it for fifty bucks theres nothing personal or racist about it its just math!

Why cant the government see there killing us its simple math for every illigal ther is an americans job lost and i dont want tohear that there just doing jobs we dont want to do we just cant afford to do it for fifty bucks theres nothing personal or racist about it its just math!

Your kidding right? They absolutely do understand all that's implied and see another dependency class to perpetuate the BS started by Wilson & Roosevelt. Read your history! They don't care anything about you except that you work hard and pay taxes so they can provide for the dependency class...therefore buy votes to screw you with your money. Some day folks will figure this out. They don't like you.

Come on! Theres more to it then that. They have the power cuz they (being the ones that came from old $) always have and always will. Its heirarcy bs and were all screwed cuz were there sheep. Were live stock with no power and were sissyes and completely unorganized. You know why the first amendment is such a good idea? Cuz as long as we have the right to sit around and ##### about it, we wont do any thing and never will. Thats why I laugh at these tea party people. Good luck with that, let me know how that works out for ya! Unless some martyr starts a full fleged revolution nothing will ever get done, and tell me, what are the chances of that hapening? So just do what I do , blind yourself with booze and hope for a quick painless death while you slowly rot like the rat on the wheel that you are.

Your kidding right? They absolutely do understand all that's implied and see another dependency class to perpetuate the BS started by Wilson & Roosevelt. Read your history! They don't care anything about you except that you work hard and pay taxes so they can provide for the dependency class...therefore buy votes to screw you with your money. Some day folks will figure this out. They don't like you.

Yes i was kidding im not delusional i know the government is #@$%^! up!

People have been getting cheap for at least a couple years now.

And our competition is giving in out of desperation. I can do other things so I have walked away from several lately.

Seems the nicer the neighborhood,the cheaper they are. Probably because the ones in the nice neighborhoods are maxed to the hilt on their credit.

I looked at one yesterday. The guy asked if he could hire a tow truck to winch it over.

I reminded him of his gas line he wanted to drop it on and wished him luck.

Seems the nicer the neighborhood,the cheaper they are. Probably because the ones in the nice neighborhoods are maxed to the hilt on their credit.

I looked at one yesterday. The guy asked if he could hire a tow truck to winch it over.

I reminded him of his gas line he wanted to drop it on and wished him luck.

need the popcorn for that one :dizzy:

...They tend to fool people into never doubting they are highly skilled in whatever they are doing because....there Amish... Although, I will say that some Amish are skilled tradesmen who take there amish lifestyle very serious. I just havent met one yet.

I bought a custom built vanity from an Amish furniture store last year. It was about 3/4ths the cost of the Lowes "custom order" vanity that we got the plans from.

...Only the Amish version was built with solid cherry, instead of particle board.

...and the quality of the wood, workmanship, and finish is impeccable.

what it is going to come down to is americans making a stand, we cant create enough jobs for those without let alone our children in college/trade schools.

Now we have to create jobs for illegals??????? hell no!

the post about dependent types is so true, take our money to provide for those who sit on their azzes & want to do nothing!! buy votes, etc... & the illegals are bought for voting purposes, so why not let them stay........idiots as politicians.....gotta love it uh?

LXT..............

I live in an Amish community. Bad construction around here is referred to as "slop-Amish" for good reason. If you've had a good experience with Amish workmanship or Amish people then great. My lifetime of experience is much different.
Phil

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the Jamesport, Mo. furniture store placed the order with Ohio-Amish furniture builders. There are a lot of them up there, as you probably know.

The store I went to was filled with pretty high priced "built for a lifetime" furniture. We plan to buy more, especially since they beat the box store price for an unusual size cabinet.

At first it seemed as though people were truly choosing proper tree care & not minding the higher price tag that goes with such, lately I have hit a small group who is only concerned with the price.........The cheapest price!!

were still very busy & work is coming in but the job I bid yesterday was a 70-80ft stone dead elm bout 3ft dbh, hanging over her prize cork screw willow, a shed, a driveway & several arborvitae in a landscape setting........! I give her my price:

I almost had to catch her as she was going down!!!! she replies oh my..... you`re $500.00 higher than the other guy....he bid $1000.00.......! im thinking....we`re gonna be here a day in a half easy $100 an hr.....figure in some sharpening time & the un-expected....bam $1525.00 thought it was a good deal and then comes this:

cant I pay you cash? yes maam! well then why dont we see how it goes & if there is no damage you wont have to charge me for you carrying insurance...! WHAT? yeah, im saving you 30% off the top with cash.......the other guy said he could do it, why cant you!!

well maam.......I carry insurance "FULL TIME".........the other guy prolly has "NONE"...........good luck with that & I walked!! never had this happen, guess they think insurance is optional??? LOL

LXT....................

Wow, that's retarded. I think you gave her a decent price. I would not touch it for anything less. We've been getting so many calls, I don't have time to haggle. It's my price and that's it. don't waste my time while I could be looking at other jobs. We have a lot of pop up pickup truck 1 saw Wild thing tards going thru here as well. Don't have a clue what insurance is.

At first it seemed as though people were truly choosing proper tree care & not minding the higher price tag that goes with such, lately I have hit a small group who is only concerned with the price.........The cheapest price!!

were still very busy & work is coming in but the job I bid yesterday was a 70-80ft stone dead elm bout 3ft dbh, hanging over her prize cork screw willow, a shed, a driveway & several arborvitae in a landscape setting........! I give her my price:

I almost had to catch her as she was going down!!!! she replies oh my..... you`re $500.00 higher than the other guy....he bid $1000.00.......! im thinking....we`re gonna be here a day in a half easy $100 an hr.....figure in some sharpening time & the un-expected....bam $1525.00 thought it was a good deal and then comes this:

cant I pay you cash? yes maam! well then why dont we see how it goes & if there is no damage you wont have to charge me for you carrying insurance...! WHAT? yeah, im saving you 30% off the top with cash.......the other guy said he could do it, why cant you!!

well maam.......I carry insurance "FULL TIME".........the other guy prolly has "NONE"...........good luck with that & I walked!! never had this happen, guess they think insurance is optional??? LOL

LXT....................
and the bad thing is, she probably votes also..............

and the illegals are killing us here also and most likely getting gov assistance to boot....

Latest posts

Back