LiL Saw gone 4 stroking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
Changed fuel mix from 87 Octane + 40:1 mix to 89 Octane + synthetic 50:1 mix. This was done because of a new saw in the collection.
I'm wondering if because of the new mix , or whatever, if I need to tweak the carb out a tad. If so which screw needs adjustment (L) or (H) ? Thanks for your advise..:)
gpbar1.jpg

Oops ! I forgot to add that the saw is 4 stroking in the deep cut. Never did that before. It cuts good, but just won't plain out the way it should. Thanks again for your advice. :msp_thumbup:

the carb should always be readjusted when you change fuel or mixture

bingo.

Okay; so which screw needs adjusting. The High or Low or both? :confused:

most likely the H if its having problems in the cut/at WOT, but I would go through the whole process from idle, to L, then idle again, then H then idle again.
If you're going to tune it, you might as well do it properly. ;)

bingo.

most likely the H if its having problems in the cut/at WOT, but I would go through the whole process from idle, to L, then idle again, then H then idle again.
If you're going to tune it, you might as well do it properly. ;)

Four-stroking in the cut means the H screw needs to be turned in a little. The L screw might need adjustment also, depending on how the saw responds from idle.

I'm sorry guys, but my Dial-Up is slower'n molasses.

I'm not to swift in chainsaw terminology. What does WOT mean?

So; in my case the lil saw also dies after it idles a bit. So I need to work through the whole process for proper idle and response and back. Am I getting it correctly ?

To tune a saw--

set the L for proper response from idle
then adjust idle speed
then adjust H for a little four stroking at wide open throttle.

Good advice, now let me tweak on it a bit,,,

make sure you have at least 1/2 tank of fuel,,,

Warm up the saw good,,, Also a good Idea to index the handle on your adjustment tool so you can keep track of the turns

then do the above posted by Nmurph,, for a stock saw with just a muffler mod or even a stock muffler I have found for The H setting I come out (CCW) 1+1/2 to 1+1/4 turns from the gently closed position before I crank after doing the L& Idle settings) and she should be 4stroking very plainly,,, now @ WOT close CW until it really picks up rpm and kill it,,, look at H postion set screw make a mental note, now open CCW 1/8th turn or in you case being very touchy 1/16th,,, now re crank,,, it should be barely 4stroking and should clear up nicely in the cut make yourself an index mark on the plastic or mental note what ever works best for you,,, hope it helps

If your adjustment screws are the splined type w/out a screw driver slot disregard looking @ screw,,, pay attention to the indexed driver lololol!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Warm up the saw good,,,
Also a good Idea to index the handle on your adjustment tool so you can keep track of the turns

then do the above posted by Nmurph,, for a stock saw with just a muffler mod or even a stock muffler I have found for The H setting I come out (CCW) 1+1/2 to 1+1/4 turns from the gently closed position before I crank after doing the L& Idle settings) and she should be 4stroking very plainly,,, now @ WOT close CW until it really picks up rpm and kill it,,, look at H postion set screw make a mental note, now open CCW 1/8th turn or in you case being very touchy 1/16th,,, now re crank,,, it should be barely 4stroking and should clear up nicely in the cut make yourself an index mark on the plastic or mental note what ever works best for you,,, hope it helps

If your adjustment screws are the splined type w/out a screw driver slot disregard looking @ screw,,, pay attention to the indexed driver lololol!!!!!!!

WOoHAaa ! Man this is great . You all are loaded with knowledge. :blob2:

Lolol,,,

WOoHAaa ! Man this is great . You all are loaded with knowledge. :blob2:

I wouldnt go that far,,,

When I re-baseline a carb after installing a carb kit and have removed the L& H adjusment screws for cleaning when I put it all back together I generally gently bottom out the adjusters and come out 1 full turn each,

and as murph said begin with L and Idle or LA,,,,

After its warm I will set the Idle or LA just below chain creep begins,,, then turn the L in til it starts to stumble (again making a mental note of the index position) then go the other direction (out) before it dies,,,, it should smooth out as you pass the sweet spot (mental note) but keep going until it blubbers again then go back to the sweet spot,, adjust the idle to stay out of chain creep and your L setting should me spot on,, if the throttle response is not really snappy,, tweak very small amounts open on the L and it should get more responsive,, if you move the L,, you may have to re-adjust Idle/LA as needed to keep the chain from running,,, around 2800 RPM is pretty good Idle speed,, then do the H and you will be good to go,,, BTW the one turn out starting point is pretty much rule of thumb for sea level,,, the actual # of turns will vary if you go up or increase if you go up in elevation above 3K feet,,, se Okie town is about 900-1300ft ehh???

Last edited:
WOoHAaa ! Man this is great . You all are loaded with knowledge.

Some of us are loaded with other things! Ammo, wit,manners,and on special occasions booze!

Yeah; I understand that, but all of that is plumb useless in this situation don't you think?:biggrin:

Warm up the saw good,,, Also a good Idea to index the handle on your adjustment tool so you can keep track of the turns

Best advice yet.

Back