Loaning your saws out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't loan mine out either...saws or other tools. I let my neighbor borrow my Stihl weedeater once. It came back straight gassed and he never said a word about it. If a friend has a need for a saw, I'll go to their house and do the cutting. If they are cutting firewood, they should become a chain saw owner.

In-laws will find a way

They no longer ask me to borrow anything. They wait until I'm not home, show up and ask my wife, knowing full well she won't say no.

My tool boxes are now always locked, as well as the implement / tool sheds. As using a saw requires real work, fortunately, they're never high on the borrow list.

Take Care

Want to sell firewood and doesn't have a chainsaw? That's a first. :bang:

Help him cut up the first chord so he can trade it for a wild thing and learn how to maintain it :]

FWIW, I don't understand why so many have a difficult time just saying "no". There are no shortage of rental shops out there.

Plus, if something should ever happen to the operator, you could end up getting sued because you lent it out. No kidding. Seriously, I know of such an incident.

This is where it pays to buy a Stihl 440 sticker from ebay and stick it on your MS170 and loan it out. If it comes back fried - cha-ching!

Just kidding guys - just kidding - don't get no ideas!

My standard retort is;

sure, let me borrow yur wife/girlfriend.

so I just got a call from my brother in law, he wanted to borrow my saw tomorrow to go cut wood.
The problem is I just sold my loaner saw, so the only saws I have are my Husqvarna and my three carving chainsaws.
I feel so bad telling him no, my wife agrees the last time i loaned out my loaner craftsman to him he bent the bar literally twisted it and fragged the chain, I'm lucky he didn't mess up the crankshaft with so much force to rotate the bar.
I just sold the craftsman and have since bought two more chainsaws (lol) cad. I have a 5020 coming in craftsman flavor, and today on ebay bought a homelite, nothing special but i bought it as a project saw to resell. I would totally loan that one to him, but alas no saws here yet.
So my question is how do you all deal with it, when others know you have good chainsaws, am I a jerk. I maintain my equipment religiously it runs good so I'm not to keen on someone else abusing it, that craftsman years ago is still in my mind. I dont know just wondered your thoughts on the such.

Frankly I think your BIL is the rude one. Borrows your saw and trashes it, then is bold enough to ask again, and he's using to make himself money to boot? I'd tell him, no, I remember how you returned my saw last time (in a tactful way of course :laugh:).

OP says BIL is going to use it to cut firewood for sale. Essentially you are loaning him your depreciation on your equipment so he can make money with it. This kind of proposition would make me mad. He isn't even offering you a piece of the payday.

Where I come from, if a friend needs a tool to make money with, it is polite to offer a part of the job so I can make money off of the deal. We do it all of the time. You get your depreciation paid and the job gets done.

If he is selling, you get a piece, period.

Dan
Offer to help him pick out/build a work saw. He obviously needs to own one if he is selling firewood. A few cords and the saw will be paid for...

i just get the feeling this guy only wants to try on the firewood gig. otherwise he would have already bought a saw. what? he thought you were gonna loan him a saw on the long-term plan, i.e.-give it to him? would just say no, not gonna happen. btw, did he make good on the last time he mucked your saw up? if so, might make a difference. if not, a resounding NO would be in the offing; no explanation necessary.

Sorry, due to budget restrictions (their budget to fix my broken stuff) the loaner program has been suspended indefinitely.

Seems crazy many of us would buy a cheap saw just to loan out. But, I guess it would pay for itself if I didn't have to spend a few days cutting for someone.

OP, did the BIL offer to fix the first saw?

I don't loan saws. I do on occasion loan myself with my saws, usually in exchange for some frothy beverages. :hmm3grin2orange:

so I just got a call from my brother in law, he wanted to borrow my saw tomorrow to go cut wood.
The problem is I just sold my loaner saw, so the only saws I have are my Husqvarna and my three carving chainsaws.
I feel so bad telling him no, my wife agrees the last time i loaned out my loaner craftsman to him he bent the bar literally twisted it and fragged the chain, I'm lucky he didn't mess up the crankshaft with so much force to rotate the bar.
I just sold the craftsman and have since bought two more chainsaws (lol) cad. I have a 5020 coming in craftsman flavor, and today on ebay bought a homelite, nothing special but i bought it as a project saw to resell. I would totally loan that one to him, but alas no saws here yet.
So my question is how do you all deal with it, when others know you have good chainsaws, am I a jerk. I maintain my equipment religiously it runs good so I'm not to keen on someone else abusing it, that craftsman years ago is still in my mind. I dont know just wondered your thoughts on the such.

Tell him since he can't afford the $50 to rent one from a tool rental place you'll give him the $50 to rent one.

That'll either make him feel like a cheapskate so that he goes and rents one, or on the upside your saw isn't damaged and you've limited your damages to $50.

I think I'm going to offer to help him but that I share in the profits, then ill take $100 from the money he makes is it and give him the Homelite say congratulations there's your first saw treat it well and it will last a few seasons for you to upgrade...... Loan problem solved with him, lol then the next one will pop out of the woodwork I'm sure.
No there never was an offer to repair damages, just a your saw sucks comment.

I think I'm going to offer to help him but that I share in the profits, then ill take $100 from the money he makes is it and give him the Homelite say congratulations there's your first saw treat it well and it will last a few seasons for you to upgrade...... Loan problem solved with him, lol then the next one will pop out of the woodwork I'm sure.

Oh man, screw that guy, I don't care if he is your BIL.

Why are you obligated to help with his "business venture"? I would cut the strings now or you will continue to be sucked into the vortex. Time for him to make it on his own.

My standard retort is;

sure, let me borrow yur wife/girlfriend.

Lord man! Don't do THAT sight unseen. You could be on the bad end of the deal when he agrees and takes your wild thingy!!!

Anyway.

I said I loan things to friends. Relatives don't use my saws. I'll run it for them and I love them.....

To the OP. I don't know. Some folks have asked and I told them what the replacement cost would be. Plus new Stihl bar and chain. Plus port work.

Makes a turn in the conversation easier.

Last edited:
You aren't being rude by not wanting to loan out your saw to someone that has previously damaged a saw of yours. If he's trying to sell firewood, he'll probably soon realize how much work it is, and quit.

A $100 saw from walmart or home depot will cut him enough wood to get started. Offer to help him pick one out if he wants, but that you don't have an extra one to loan him. Mention something about him still owing you money to fix it from last time. That'll shut him up. :hmm3grin2orange:

For the record, I wouldn't loan out my saw to my own brother, I know how he takes care of tools. My BIL wouldn't even be allowed near it. :laugh: My dad is the only person I would trust with one.

Latest posts

Back