Logging Jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
What are you guys wearing? I wore Wild Ass jeans froms Baileys for years until they changed their fit. I liked the old style so much I had tear mended about four layers of patches on em before I tossed em. The new cut on the Wild Ass jeans are like skinny jeans. So I bought four pair of Key singles from Madsens a couple of months ago for 18 bucks a pop. They have been wearing really well. I wear suspenders when I'm logging so I always need the buttons. I did have a pair of Bernie doubles and Carhart doubles that were given to me as gifts. I split the crotch out on both of them multiple times. I'm not a huge fan of the doubles.

The black Wild Ass from Bailey's seem to hold up pretty well. I favor black over blue...tradition ya' know. 2dogs is right about them running a little long in the leg but that's what scissors are for.

I take the Wild Ass label off of the pants though. At my age it's probably false advertising.

I've had good luck with bernes doubles in the past getting ~2 years on them before they disintegrated. this spring I was forced to get a pair of double carhartts because thats all that was available locally and I needed pants! I just threw them in the trash a week ago and will never buy a pair again. the crotch is ripped out the rear pocket is torn off theres holes everywhere and the legs even though I didn't stag them are up to the middle of my shin, completely fell apart on me in a few months. And they cost $50 to boot!

The jeans from madsens that take the chap inserts are really nice too, I wear those in the winter under tin pants.

I'm starting monday with some wild ass doubles just looking at them they look sturdier then carhartts hopefully they will last.

The black Wild Ass from Bailey's seem to hold up pretty well. I favor black over blue...tradition ya' know. 2dogs is right about them running a little long in the leg but that's what scissors are for.

I take the Wild Ass label off of the pants though. At my age it's probably false advertising.

Scissors? You need to MAN up! Real men use knives and machetes to alter their pants, or some just use their hands and teeth. Sheesh!

Key singles, for some reason I have to replace the back side spender buttons about half way through their life span, I blame the skidder seat. Get about a year out of them before they get too thin for public use.

Lop the the cuffs off about the ankle or so, regardless of lengths stamped on the label. And I usually use scissors as they tend not to wander as much as a pocket knife.

Can't stand Carharts, too stiff, too expensive, not nearly enough life to warrant the cost.

As far as the double front anything goes... too hot, too stiff and the rest of em fall apart around the double front anyway. I think they are really meant for folks who spend a lot of time using their legs as a work bench or kneeling on roofs and what not. As far as logging goes, the cuffs, and pockets seem to get the most wear, crotches will tear and split if fell incorrectly.

I vote for the Keys. They last a long time for us landing hugging, coffee drinking foresters. The double front makes more weight, especially when they get wet, but it provides extra padding for sauntering in the brush when off the landing. I have a pair of Big Bill jeans and the pockets wore out very quickly. I tried to repair the pockets, because where else are we foresters to put our hands when the coffee runs out? Unfortunately, I used some Liquid Seam to attach patches with, and that turned out to be a variation of rubber cement and the pockets now fuse together while in the dryer. One has to pry them apart and they just aren't good for hand storage anymore. The Keys, which are the same age, still have sturdy pockets.

Oh, and if your local fabric store doesn't have them, Madsen's sells replacement Bachelor Buttons for cheap. Shipping probably costs more than the buttons. You could reinforce them at the fastening point with extra fabric. Then thump, but not too hard, with a hammer. Because the pointy part of the buttons are easily smashed during installation, it is good to order extras. Don't install the buttons when you are angry.

..........wrangler LOL. no i have trouble getting any pants to fit right.....skinny, no behind lol. you say the wild ass are cut skinny? maybe i should them.

+1 on anything carhart, its like being wrapped in plywood.

oh, any body else wear 32x32? what fits ya well?

I've worn lots of different logging pants, Filson, Carrhart etc.

But since I'm a climber wearing Wesco Highliners, over knee braces?

I wait for yearly sale at the Moto-X Honda dealership, where hundred dollar Kevlar and nylon stretchy breathable Moto pants can be had for 50 bucks a pop.image.jpg

32X32 Wranglers are my "fat" pants, 32X36 501s fit well, 32X32 Dic kies double fronts fit nice. My old Wild Ass were 30X34, still have a pair that needs patched.
tip; the wrangler cowboy cut are slimmer than the uh big guy cut.....
i tried the dickies work pants, they were to baggy for me.
i liked 501s, just the buttons are a pain any more lol.

42-30something... logger cut (like a loose boot cut) did I mention I'm fat...

Sometimes when the buttons come loose I'll thread some para cord through to reattach the spenders...

Boing has some killer tape, sticks once never comes loose, doesn't get tacky, used to use it to repair pockets all the time but alas I done ran out, have to find someone on the assembly line to liberate some again.

Back