Logging Jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity whats with black jeans being traditional? I've seen that said before. Personally I like my jeans to have some room to move. I also buy em a little big so most of the chips sift through. And typically I stag em. As far as the tap on buttons they work fine, but if you use a little button head screw instead of the "stud" they will stay on a lot longer. And also I "Trust the Bish." I've used it so much on jeans, shirts, coats, leather, etc. that the kids know exactly what I'm talking about when I say I "bished" em. It holds through MANY washings if you do it right and takes only about 10 minutes to cure. Really an awesome product. Basically just waterproof fabric glue.

Turst the Bish.jpg

I've worn carhartt double loggers for years. No real complaints about em. They always wear out above the double below the pocket. Worn the doubles pretty thin on several pair. Have a pair of keys that don't get worn, They don't fit quite right and the pockets are super small on em. After you wash and wear the carhartts for a while they loose the stiffness. Double front for the stickers I gotta wade through all the time. Sounds like I should try the wild asses out.

carhart original dungarees for me, I don't go with double anything as its too heavy up and down the mountain all the time. Crotch is the weak point on my pants and the carharts hold up fine. lined carharts in fall and winter when the snow is below my gaters or I'm not playing mechanic and going to get wet. Wool of whatever I can find cheapest for snow and wet. Lined wool for 10 degrees and colder.

Bitzer what's that Bish stuff?

I've seen rigging crew guys in sweat pants. That was on a day when the weather changed drastically from drizzle to warm sun and the mole people became too warm in their rain gear or sauna pants which is what rain gear becomes on such rare days.

Just out of curiosity whats with black jeans being traditional?

Dunno, but it is. When I first went to the woods everybody I worked with wore 'Frisco jeans. They were black and loose fitting.
In those days if anybody came to the woods wearing blue jeans we figured they were some kind of greenhorn or maybe a farmer.
The 'Friscos were heavy cloth but loosened up well. If you stagged them off they'd get shorter every time you washed them. We didn't wash them very often. I think they were made by Lee.
'Frisco were also popular with commercial fishermen, longshoremen, and some mill workers.

My dad always wore Frisco jeans. They were the station pants of the fire department and like most of his fellow FFs he wore them on his days off. bendavis.com still sells a black all cotton work pant that I like with suspenders buttons as an option.

I would wear them if someone else is buying. Hard to spend that money on pants that just get destroyed

They were a gift, thats why I have them. Until now I have never looked for a pair that are similar to or better than the Carhartt's...

key doubles. good value. wear good. tried the big bens and prison blues , don't like the way they fit. carharts are too spendy for what they are. would like to try the wildass in black . for some reason black in anything but carharts around here are hard to find. like black when i can , hides the bar oil and grease stains better once they fade in alittle.

key doubles. good value. wear good. tried the big bens and prison blues , don't like the way they fit. carharts are too spendy for what they are. would like to try the wildass in black . for some reason black in anything but carharts around here are hard to find. like black when i can , hides the bar oil and grease stains better once they fade in alittle.

Try the Bailey's black. They're a heavy enough fabric that they can soak up quite a bit of the usual oil/dust/dirt/saw chips/snoose/ coffee/ donetto chocolate mix until they're almost water proof without soaking clear through to the skin. After a few days they're almost as good as tin pants...and a lot cheaper. ;)
Be careful when you stag them off the first time...don't cut too high. They unravel quite a bit when you finally break down and wash them.

Latest posts

Back