Logging Jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the economy crashed in '08 all of the pants makers only seem to make my odd size (30X34) for a few months per year. Most of the year they are unavailable. (Too much information.)

Anyway, I've had good luck with Key double stuff. They seem thin and flimsy, but I get about 9 months out of them if I buy 3 pair at a time and rotate them. I try not to wear them more than 5 days without washing them or at least sloshing them in a nearby crick.

Berne seem to hold up pretty well too, but are a bit pricey for a tightwad like myself.

TIP: When its time to stink-can your old jeans don't throw 'em in the garbage. I put mine in the woodstove. There's alot of BTUs in that denim! The rivets and all disappear.

It sucks that they went that direction. They do make my favorite pants right now. I blow the crotches out of pants usually and the flexibility of the fire hose in combination with the cut and crotch gusset makes them pretty comfortable and durable. We'll see how long that lasts until I have to switch brands again.

Yeah the Tear Mender kicks ass! I've rebuilt several crotches in pants, repaired wedge pouchs, chain pouches, coats, belts, suspenders, you name it. The great thing is how fast it works and it really holds. It will also waterproof stuff too. For some reason it will get a little gummy or tacky over time, but that is usually only when I have spilled gas or diesel on the area. It should be easy enough to find in hardware stores or farm supply stores. Its not real pricy either.

I have a Duluth Trading co. store 15 min from my house. The wife and I were in that town one day and she asked if I wanted to go in there. I said nope and she said "but," and I said nope. I got a catalogue in the mail shortly after they opened and that stuff is crazy expensive. I can easily wreck a pair of pants in the first day of wearing them. **** happens in the woods.

Bob- I can see what you mean about the black jeans. I'm sure that back in the day if you saw a guy wearing them you knew where you stood with him. Its tough to read a guy these days and what they stand for by their clothes. I mean sometimes its pretty obvious, but not always. Could be a total douche or could be a stand up guy wearing the same outfit. Its a weird confusing world we live in. Damn hippies. It all goes back to them. They ****ed it all up.

I would wear them if someone else is buying. Hard to spend that money on pants that just get destroyed
They outlast pretty much every pant I have tried. If they fail at the seams, their no B.S. warranty will replace them. I blew the crotch out of four pairs and they replaced them even though they were two years old. The replacements were better quality and I've had zero issues with them. The difference... the first batch was Chinese, the second batch Malaysia. I still wish I could find a made in USA pant that lasts as long as them and I can get in black.

I use the $9 specials at Wal-Mart or go pick the racks at the thrift store. To heck with paying $30+ for pants! The cheapos last just as long.

They outlast pretty much every pant I have tried. If they fail at the seams, their no B.S. warranty will replace them. I blew the crotch out of four pairs and they replaced them even though they were two years old. The replacements were better quality and I've had zero issues with them. The difference... the first batch was Chinese, the second batch Malaysia. I still wish I could find a made in USA pant that lasts as long as them and I can get in black.

guess i didn't realize they warrantied their pants. That makes it somewhat more interesting.

guess i didn't realize they warrantied their pants. That makes it somewhat more interesting.
I honestly didn't think it would work. Since I ordered them online, I just went to their website and printed out my orders, printed out their return form, and sent them in along with a jacket that failed. They no longer offered the jacket, so they gave me credit to order other stuff.

Do donettos ever turn green? I thought they lasted forever.

They do last forever. They're one of the few packaged foods with no expiration date. I haven't seen them turn green but a partially eaten package left too long under the seats...say two or three years...will tend to absorb a lot of grit into the pseudo-chocolate covering and be a bit brittle. And crunchy. A little dry, too. When they get like that just drop them whole into your coffee, stir it up real good with your thumb, and pretend that it's some new and fancy flavor from Starbucks. The grit will settle to the bottom of the cup. Most of it anyway.

Used to be Lee loggers is what everyone seemed to wear. Very rarely you would see someone with the black monkey pants. Always wondered why anyone would buy black pants. Must be a California thing.
Now I have an assortment but like Big Bills the best for fit, pockets in them are their downfall but I like them enough I rebuild the pockets.
Thing I have never figured out is why they make the legs so long. I buy the shortest leg pants I can get and would still like a little shorter. I dislike stagged off pants and they don't look good when I head to town either.

Used to be Lee loggers is what everyone seemed to wear. Very rarely you would see someone with the black monkey pants. Always wondered why anyone would buy black pants. Must be a California thing.
Now I have an assortment but like Big Bills the best for fit, pockets in them are their downfall but I like them enough I rebuild the pockets.
Thing I have never figured out is why they make the legs so long. I buy the shortest leg pants I can get and would still like a little shorter. I dislike stagged off pants and they don't look good when I head to town either.

How do you rebuild the pockets? I lined them with cotton fabric and used fabric glue because I didn't want to rip out seams. Now, as I mentioned, the rubbery glue
melts a bit in the dryer and the pockets must be ripped apart after each washing.

i got riggs and damn theyre baggy..double knee and thick...but i want a double knee jeans that fit well not tight but deginitely not baggy...im tall as hell..usually 36x36

Back