Logike Densified Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Stanton

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was at the local feed store today and a couple of reps from Logike Canada were there with their trailer. They have 3 stoves on board burning their product. Pretty impressive. A case of logs sells for about $10. They claim one log gives off 24,00 BTU and they recommend that you never burn more than 3 at a time. The burn time for each is about 1.5 hours and that 10 boxes = 1/3 cord for fire wood. They told me that their product was made for people who want to burn with no ashes, creossote, or bugs. I asked why they had 3 stoves on board. They told me every stove manufacturer wanted their stove displayed when they saw the other guy's stove being used.

Nope. Not for me. 3 at one time max, and 1.5 hours each? That means, at BEST, I'd get 4.5 hours on a filling.

No way! I get 8-10 hours easily using real wood, and like it a lot better.

It's free, too! :D

i could see where it would have its place... someone who only burns their fireplace on special occasions... emergencies.. like an ice storm things like that

I've been thinking of how to make logs like that for awhile now. My thought was to grind all the brush from my firewood harvesting and use it to make compressed logs. Even punky rotten deadfall could be compressed into useable logs. You could mix in the junk mail from your paper shredder and burn that too. I envision some sort of auger which compresses the log into a tube then spits it out the other end to be cut to length. So far it's just in the design stage but if I can convert a silage chopper into a wood chipper I'll be half way there.

I've been thinking of how to make logs like that for awhile now. My thought was to grind all the brush from my firewood harvesting and use it to make compressed logs. Even punky rotten deadfall could be compressed into useable logs. You could mix in the junk mail from your paper shredder and burn that too. I envision some sort of auger which compresses the log into a tube then spits it out the other end to be cut to length. So far it's just in the design stage but if I can convert a silage chopper into a wood chipper I'll be half way there.

Lots of info out there.I've seen small production models used in wood shops

http://www.briquetting.com/bri_holz.php

Interesting photo and product, did you ask what the logs consisted of? I find it amazing that you would get no ash!!! But maybe they have a secret up north :hmm3grin2orange:

Per their sales copy:
"Made of compressed hardwood (maple & oak) from hardwood flooring mills
Exterior gloss is not a chemical coat, but the natural sap extracted at compression (300 tons psi)
Can be mixed with regular wood to increase performance"

300 tons of pressure?:jawdrop:

That's a lot. I'll bet it doesn't have to be compressed that much to burn effectively. If it was compressed equal to the density of oak or ash then it should burn the same, right? Thanks for the link coog, I'll have to do some more research on the briquette makers.

300 tons of pressure?:jawdrop:

That's a lot. I'll bet it doesn't have to be compressed that much to burn effectively. If it was compressed equal to the density of oak or ash then it should burn the same, right? Thanks for the link coog, I'll have to do some more research on the briquette makers.

300 ton isn't too hard to get... most smaller injection molding machines come in that size. I worked in a really small plant during college on the maintenance crew - we had a couple of 1000t machines and THEY were big. :)

I wood try it .

kinda feels like pellet stove stuff to me but I can see how this may be a good idea for some and the way things are going it is hard to find good wood like birch so this may be an option...

I was at the local feed store today and a couple of reps from Logike Canada were there with their trailer. They have 3 stoves on board burning their product. Pretty impressive. A case of logs sells for about $10. They claim one log gives off 24,00 BTU and they recommend that you never burn more than 3 at a time. The burn time for each is about 1.5 hours and that 10 boxes = 1/3 cord for fire wood. They told me that their product was made for people who want to burn with no ashes, creossote, or bugs. I asked why they had 3 stoves on board. They told me every stove manufacturer wanted their stove displayed when they saw the other guy's stove being used.

10 boxes = 1/3 cord thus it takes 30 boxes per cord. @$10 box - $300/cord. High end of firewood prices. Then the figures of performance are theirs adn I have never seen a manufacturers estimates be anywhere near reality. Always overstated and sometimes wildly so.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back