looking for my first saddle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azilla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im a groundsman and im getting ready to buy my first saddle. I like the comfort of the batten seat and tried on a cougar today. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Is this a decent saddle to start off in?

Im a groundsman and im getting ready to buy my first saddle. I like the comfort of the batten seat and tried on a cougar today. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Is this a decent saddle to start off in?

Below is info for your local Vermeer dealer. The dealer here shares with Sherill Tree and they have many saddles you can actually try on. They have an anchor in the ceiling and carabiner that you can attach to and get the real feel. Or you can do like the attached picture. Good luck. Be careful, I can tell you how easy it is to buy much more than you need. (Fun though)

Vermeer Sales Southwest, Inc.
436 S Hamilton Ct
Gilbert, AZ 85233
Phone: 480-785-4800 or 800-577-4640
Web: Swanson Russell

attachment.php

View attachment 254887

Smokey, you are weird!:msp_tongue:
Jeff

WELL DAHHHHH...........I climb trees and enjoy it..........I certainly hope it's not because I actually spent a few minutes looking up information and made a suggestion to a newbie looking for some help, any other earth shattering tips for us on the 101 side?

Smokie, are you not a newbie? Are you not the same guy asking about knots.......... Newbs should not give other newbs advice. Its a safety thing.

Azilla, the bridge is fine. Like I said, I use a micro on it, so it doesn't see a bunch of friction. I have had it for 2 years and the bridge is still in good shape. The original version had some issues with the bridge but hey have corrected it. There are many saddles out there, all just as good as the next. Don't get visually stimulated and buy a big dollar one at first, unless u can try it on first. Once you use it, its yours, no taking it back. Make sure that u can get the thing super tight, if ya cant, it will start to slide around on ya when ya get sweaty, and believe me, that sucks. Most of the new stuff coming out is all pretty damn good. So as long as it fits properly, ya cant hardly go wrong with any of them. Most of the new one are easily modified to your liking, and that comes with experience only.

MDS, still cant find any cool kids saddles! Still looking tho!

This field harness was designed for a rescue application. I would think it would move around on you alot and I would stay clear of it for anything but a emergency.

Yes, or when you are out in a "field" and don't really have anything to climb. (that is why they call it a "field harness")
I just thought that it was really cool you could make one of those with just 12-15 feet of webbing. Probably 15' in my case for the big ass I have as I'm pretty well convinced from this forum that I am a "big ass". But a big ass with a little scene of humor. That was a joke there.

Find a store that has lots of different saddles in stock that you can hang in. Dont try on anything higher then what your willing to spend also. When i bought my last saddle, I hung in it at the store off and on for about a hour. But on the other hand it was a Buckingham Ergavation saddle and they are around $500. Maybe i needed to really feel how comfy it was to justify spending that much coin. I tried a couple other saddles at the store also, but they just didnt seem as comfortable.

Yes, or when you are out in a "field" and don't really have anything to climb. (that is why they call it a "field harness")
I just thought that it was really cool you could make one of those with just 12-15 feet of webbing. Probably 15' in my case for the big ass I have as I'm pretty well convinced from this forum that I am a "big ass". But a big ass with a little scene of humor. That was a joke there.

When i was taught how to make that harness in high angle rescue class, we used 25' of webbing.

Find a store that has lots of different saddles in stock that you can hang in......

Tell him about the Vermeer Sherrill Tree store in his area located at...
436 S Hamilton Ct
Gilbert, AZ 85233

I would, but I can't give advice.

Tell him about the Vermeer Sherrill Tree store in his area located at...
436 S Hamilton Ct
Gilbert, AZ 85233

I would, but I can't give advice.

First off, I dont like the vermeer stores. I have one about 30 mins from my house, but dont go there. I drive a hour and 20 mins to a great arborist store that knows alot and has stuff in stock. My local vemeer store dont have much in stock, nor any place to hang in a saddle at.

Get the Edge from sherrill, awesome saddle, and has everything you need, very comfortable as well! Myself and my other climber have one, we worked (subbed out work) for another company and they all have them now! Few of them tried on ours that day (that's as far as they got!lol) They all love theirs as well! Priced good as well, will last you a long time

DAMN!!!!!!! How big is your ass???????????? Sounds like a sky Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane helicopter rescue to me.

In a rescue situation, you adjust the legth of the sling to the victums size. Its better to have more webbing then not enough. Plus, most rescue crews carry 25' webbing in there kits for anchors and other stuff. Its a pretty standard length.

In a rescue situation, you adjust the legth of the sling to the victums size. Its better to have more webbing then not enough. Plus, most rescue crews carry 25' webbing in there kits for anchors and other stuff. Its a pretty standard length.

So how do you do that? Do you just double it in a case like this and tie a water knot or do you tie it off and leave the tail to do something else?

Make sure you get one that jingles a lot. Sorry azilla, that probably does not make sense but I just had to put that in there for some of the others to hear.

Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock
Jingle bells swing and jingle bells ring
Snowin' and blowin' up bushels of fun
Now the jingle hop has begun....(frog technique).................................so up the tree I go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back