looking for my first saddle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man, Im a newbie also. I just bought two saddles after making a hasty decision at the store. Tried on weaver 1010 and basic buckingham, also the wideback versions, batten seat, cougar, weaver 1038, glide, all sorts. I bought the wideback basic, took it home and got in the trees, hated it. Crushed my hips beyond belief. Took it back and got the weaver 1038, floating double dee's and padded leather leg loops. Much more comfortable. If I had the money Id go with the cougar or maybe the treemotion, but for $170 the 1038 is pretty good. Its my first saddle, and already I can see plenty of room for gear, and Im comfortable either hanging or moving around. Good luck in your search, remember haste makes waste. I neglected my own wisdom there and paid for it lol

thx...

Thanks for the advice. We have a local dealer called artistic arborist here in Phoenix. I hung off the cougar for about an hour. I will definitely use it off a micro. Thanks again.

I got a Weaver Cougar and I really like it. As near as I can tell it's about the same as the Buckingham Viking or Puma. I got the Cougar because its 46" around my waist. I primarily do traditional style West Coast tower Loggin style climbing but have started using a climbing line. I need to do ALOT more rope climbing for fun to build my abs up to where I would say sitting in a saddle on a rope was comfortable. . Worst AB workout I've done since boot camp.

For me the Cougar is very comfortable . I'm going to add a chest harness and I think that will make things funner, mainly because it won't be so arduous.

I got a Weaver Cougar and I really like it. As near as I can tell it's about the same as the Buckingham Viking or Puma. I got the Cougar because its 46" around my waist. I primarily do traditional style West Coast tower Loggin style climbing but have started using a climbing line. I need to do ALOT more rope climbing for fun to build my abs up to where I would say sitting in a saddle on a rope was comfortable. . Worst AB workout I've done since boot camp.

For me the Cougar is very comfortable . I'm going to add a chest harness and I think that will make things funner, mainly because it won't be so arduous.

dude you are NOT kidding. The ab workout is extreme.

My first saddle was 150 dollar weaver with the wide back padded leg loops and a sliding D. Great first saddle doesnt break the bank if you start climbing and cant 'hang' or dont like it. Used it for about 5 years till i upgraded to the Edge this summer. If my boss didnt buy my new saddle i would still be flying the weav....

Worry about your rope bridge as much as you worry about your climb line. Inspect and trust your gear replace when worn....
Have someone else inspect your gear to once in a while. Some wear could seem natural to you cause it happened slow in front of you but someone might notice it worse.

one more question...

Im in Arizona and it seems like the wages are pushed down because we have an abundance of illegals who work for less. Do you guys see the same problem in your respective states? Im thinking of getting a few years under my belt then moving up to Oregon to do tree work. Any advice from some of you guys who've been in the industry for a while would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Im in Arizona and it seems like the wages are pushed down because we have an abundance of illegals who work for less. Do you guys see the same problem in your respective states? Im thinking of getting a few years under my belt then moving up to Oregon to do tree work. Any advice from some of you guys who've been in the industry for a while would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Wages are only pushed down in the hack market. Go to work for a real company.
Jeff

Im a newbie here, how can you tell who is a real company or not? in my area there are a few larger names, and of course the bunch of landscapers with "tree work" stickers on their trailers. Is there a real way to figure this out? Im looking to get into climbing as a career but I have no professional experience. Dont wanna get bamboozled.

Wages are only pushed down in the hack market. Go to work for a real company.
Jeff

I work for one of the better companies in the valley. Its just that a few years ago the largest company got new management and they started to drastically drop prices while uping their advertising. It crapped on the market out here. Im making $11/hr right now but im a newbie...is that a fair wage?

I climb almost everyday for work and I use the buckingham puma. It's kind of like the cougar but the padding is breathable. I'm usually only in a tree for up to a couple hours but it is always comfortable the whole time.

I Ligered my Cougar, using the CT rigging plates. I can't imagine being without those two extra attachment points. I also replaced the stock bridge with a length of XTC Fire and two SMC rings. No more pinched hips. BUT keep in mind any alteration voids warranty and liability.

Like what was said, I put two small caritools on it. But, my only complaint, there isn't enough room for equipment. Real-estate is at a premium; it can get pretty cluttered real fast with rigging loops, utility loops, bull line, block and loopie/whoopies, not to mention 2-in-1 lanyard and then add into that your climbing line crossing everything. Of course it comes to me now that maybe the small ditty bag at the back might be eating up some of that real-estate. But I couldn't imaging not having some place for my tunes and water, not to mention blood stop and fox 40 whistle.

I think the OP said something about a bosun's seat. If that was so, imagine trying to sit a branch while balanced on a board. Who ever says "you don't climb the tree…" is a sad, confused son.

gotta have the edge saddle love that thing its the spikes i gotta replace to ones that arent killing me after 6-7 hrs

By "spikes " are you talking about "spurs" or climbing gaffs,
my feet are getting pretty tired and sore after 6 hours in mine. But I figure that's because I'm old and fat. My Klien's are the most comfortable spurs I've ever had. But I don't have to drive my spurs in. I just step up and they go in real good.

When I started

working as a groundie, the going rate was three bucks an hour. When I started climbing I got seven. I don't remember what minimum wage was then but I was making more than the guys working in factories, as a groundie. You work for what they pay, get experience, watch what goes on, you can learn the best ways of working from the folks that do things wrong as well as the ones that do them right.

A better job with a better outfit will come along if you keep looking and improving.

I used a leather belt with D rings, my climbing rope went thru the left ring, around my butt, thru the right, and got tied with a bowlin. After a few days I added a heavy leather strap butt sling with three small rings to run the rope thru so it would stay centered on the sling. Often I was swinging at the end of the rope with the boss holding my life in his hands, I did the same for him, and we never had a problem, but one day another groundie was lowering me to a limb, and something caused him to drop the rope. I didn't land to hard because the rope was dragging thru several crotches. After that I left a long tail off of my bowlin and used it to tie a taunt line hitch around my down end of the climbing rope. I kept experimenting with different tie ins and in '67 started using what is now called a blake's hitch.

I kept using that rig until six years ago, when a friend had a heart attack up a tower. After we got him down, my lady and daughter ganged up on me and insisted on a full harness. I'm retired, but still do about 20 take downs a year that require climbing, and I'm still asking questions and still learning.

I now have three different harness sets and still feel better in my old rig--but don't tell the ladys.

I have a shoe repair shop cut the soles of my boots partly off, take out the piddly piece of steel they are made with and replace it with a longer, wider piece glued and sewen in place. Makes standing on spurs a lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
Back