Looking for my first saw...need advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not to bad of condition but you always have to watch with used stuff for a few dollars more id get a new dolmar 510

Looks ok but has it's flaws he listed.
and what with "looks like recent piston" ??
he has not had it that long it seems,,be wary..

Yeah, I feel the same way. Plus, even though its a great saw, I was really hoping to keep my budget to $250 or under. So even though I can get Dolmar for only a few bucks more, I was really looking for something cheaper, but still decent.

One person mention the 455 rancher, but I read on the forums that the P/C is not serviceable, not sure if I should be concerned about that. Don't know if the Poulan 330 is serviceable either.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Plus, even though its a great saw, I was really hoping to keep my budget to $250 or under. So even though I can get Dolmar for only a few bucks more, I was really looking for something cheaper, but still decent.

One person mention the 455 rancher, but I read on the forums that the P/C is not serviceable, not sure if I should be concerned about that. Don't know if the Poulan 330 is serviceable either.

That poulan is a good deal,,just run a couple tanks through it right away to make sure no problems.. you get a new warranty also.. tho it could be to big for what you want..

http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/1649357738.html

here is a link to the craigslist ad. what do you think about the condition?

Doesn't sound too good - 2002 is a very early one, so it depends on what upgrades have been done + I don't like the "halv-tale" on the piston - sounds like he isn't the original owner. :popcorn:

The broken off piece of the case also should detract considerably from the value - all in all, I believe 350 dollars is way too much for that saw, on the US market!

Last edited:
I too would have said the 357, but after the ad the " piston looks fairly recent" part has me wondering. I have three saws, one is an echo cs530, it does the most of my cutting. I'm sorry but its a firewood slut, I've got bigger, I've got faster, but I dont think I've got any better. 12" to 16" trees is where it shines. Size up your overall needs and buy at least that big. If your constantly cutting 24" trees or bigger you need a 70cc. saw. REJ2

I too would have said the 357, but after the ad the " piston looks fairly recent" part has me wondering. I have three saws, one is an echo cs530, it does the most of my cutting. I'm sorry but its a firewood slut, I've got bigger, I've got faster, but I dont think I've got any better. 12" to 16" trees is where it shines. Size up your overall needs and buy at least that big. If your constantly cutting 24" trees or bigger you need a 70cc. saw. REJ2

Most of my cutting will be no more than 12" to 16" if that, however there will be a few times it may be a bit more.

I found an 18" Poulan Pro fro sale near me for $100. Its not the 330, the number on the side says "PP4218AVX" Its a 42cc, is this any good or should I continue to look for a 330? The TSC nearest to me doesn't carry it so the search continues.

I would have to agree that the 357 xp is the best on that list due to it being a bigger pro saw. I have one of the Poulan Pro 330 saws from TSC, they run good when you mod the muffler and open it up like Modified Mark done. The Echos would be a good choice, but like others have said match the saw to your type of work. I hardly run anything bigger than 20" because I just cut firewood and mostly 24" or less trees. Good luck on your buy, just a word of advice, if you go to look at a saw pop the muffler off to look at the piston and see what shape it is in.

Well, I've been doing some more searching and even though a lot of guys in this thread said the Poulan Pro 330 is a good saw for the money, people in other threads said better saws can be had for a little more. Plus they still say the Poulan is a "disposable" saw. I had the Echo CS-510 on my list, not sure if that would be a better option. Also, I found links to the Cub Cadet saws on Amazon, two of which are sold out. The only one they have remaining is a 16" 32 cc unit, but I'm not sure if that would be on the small side of what I need. I dont know if this seller plans on getting any more of the larger cub cadets in stock at that price.

Well, I've been doing some more searching and even though a lot of guys in this thread said the Poulan Pro 330 is a good saw for the money, people in other threads said better saws can be had for a little more. Plus they still say the Poulan is a "disposable" saw. I had the Echo CS-510 on my list, not sure if that would be a better option. Also, I found links to the Cub Cadet saws on Amazon, two of which are sold out. The only one they have remaining is a 16" 32 cc unit, but I'm not sure if that would be on the small side of what I need. I dont know if this seller plans on getting any more of the larger cub cadets in stock at that price.

you can get a 455 rancher. reman w/ factory warrnty for about 250 on fleabay.or check dealer. that would be solid way to go.:chainsaw:

Check Bailey's

Hello everyone. I am a landowner looking for my first saw. I would like a versitile saw that will last me a long time. It would mostly be used for trimming tree branches, downed branches and cutting firewood, but I do have a tree to take down this spring and a trunk to cut down. I have been browsing here for the past few days trying to get some info but I am feeling overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has so many different models that I don't know where to start. It seems that weight versus displacement is key.

Anyway, I would like to buy used to save some money and have been watching my local craigslist. i seem to have it narrowed to either a Stihl or Husqvarna, but maybe Echo also. It seems these three will last the longest with regular maintenance.

Here are a few of the saws for sale in my area and the prices. Please let me know if any of these would be a good saw for my needs and if the price if good.

Echo CS-510 20" bar - $250
Echo CS-520 - $325 (Includes chainsaw, carrying case, extra chain, all OEM equipment and manuals)
Husqvarna 357 XP chainsaw 18" bar/chain - $350
Husqvarna 455 Rancher 18" - $200
Husqvarna 350 new 16" bar - $225 (two new chains and a bar cover)
Husqvarna Model 50 18" - $250
Husqvarna Model 55 20" - make an offer
Stihl MS250C - no price given
Stihl MS210C 16" - $225

I don't mind paying a bit more for the right saw that will last me for awhile, but I just want to buy one that fits my needs and is a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

For one of the Makita DCS-6401 models. A good first saw with plenty of power that won't break you.

Back