Masterminded 362c 87 octane vs 94

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope just a non decomp KS cylinder.

If fresh 93 was available I would probably run it. Its not a big seller so I tend to shy away from it. I've had bad batches of 93 and 87.

What oil ratio do you run? This will also change octane (oil is harder to ignite than gas). Keep in mind the recommended octane ratings are generally for 50:1 ratio.

On the 362c with 189psi(12.8to1), the chart chart calls for 93 to 94 octane. The test Ronnie and myself did was just for fun and proved nothing at all. When people like Randy, Mdavlee, Brad are all using lower octanes Im pretty sure we are wasting our time and we surely arent trying to disprove anyones theory here but only having alil fun! I wanna do the test also with square vs full comp which Ive seen the test already but If I can learn to file and see even 20 to 30% increase in cut time with square thats what I will run. This is a hobby for me and the testing is simply for fun. Im in no way trying to prove how dumb (shows already) or smart I am by being on this site. Lots of fine people here that simply give unbiased information and very helpful and thank all of u who do. Ive learned alot and will continue to as the hobby is very interesting and satisfying

Keith, don't down play the importance of what you provide. All new information is good to have, and then we can try to debate the "why" etc. For example, M-Tronic may be making adjustments to compensate for the increased octane. I don't know if that is the case, but it is an interesting possibility that may warrant additional testing. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate additional information (which hopefully leads to more knowledge).

Were you able to run any temp readings? I have heard that higher octane lowers the temp, but I would like to see some evidence. Thanks.

Keith, don't down play the importance of what you provide. All new information is good to have, and then we can try to debate the "why" etc. For example, M-Tronic may be making adjustments to compensate for the increased octane. I don't know if that is the case, but it is an interesting possibility that may warrant additional testing. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate additional information (which hopefully leads to more knowledge).

Were you able to run any temp readings? I have heard that higher octane lowers the temp, but I would like to see some evidence. Thanks.
When I test some chains Mike Ill run some 110 and 87 and check temps

It's always good to try and experiment empirically(by means of direct observation). Hearsay and anecdotes are rife, especially in the internet age. What many are trying to say here is it is also important to make the results repeatable and to limit the amount of cross contamination/extraneous factors/variables. To do so you need to reliably repeat the process you are doing. You want the control (the wood) to be the same every time, both before and after with the saw or saws(the subject(s)). You also want the execution to be as similar as possible. You also want as large a sample as possible. What you have is a good start. However, how the subjects are used is observationally very different in your video, and the sampling is very minimal. It makes it difficult to draw any sort of conclusion from the data you provide. The more scientific the method, the more repeatable, and the larger the sample, the less controversy usually follows.

It's always good to try and experiment empirically(by means of direct observation). Hearsay and anecdotes are rife, especially in the internet age. What many are trying to say here is it is also important to make the results repeatable and to limit the amount of cross contamination/extraneous factors/variables. To do so you need to reliably repeat the process you are doing. You want the control (the wood) to be the same every time, both before and after with the saw or saws(the subject(s)). You also want the execution to be as similar as possible. You also want as large a sample as possible. What you have is a good start. However, how the subjects are used is observationally very different in your video, and the sampling is very minimal. It makes it difficult to draw any sort of conclusion from the data you provide. The more scientific the method, the more repeatable, and the larger the sample, the less controversy usually follows.
I know the wood is a huge factor and my technique was a huge factor. I tried to make 2 parallel cuts and 2 working saw cuts and average. Overall the mess of a test did kinda show a very slight edge with the 94 for some reason? Id love to see 87 and 110 on Chads dyno. That would be more represenative of the truth

Too bad the 461 does not have M-tronic, or that would be a good candidate for testing octane on Chad's dyno.

You hit the nail on the head Keith, your observations provide an opportunity for further testing (like on Chad's dyno) to either confirm or refute, but information & results presented objectively are always valuable. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Snot is a good way to describe E10 after it sat for too long, my old 770 Oliver tank is full of it. The tank will have to come off and be cleaned and it will never see crapola gas again. Steve

Doing that with a Ford 3-cyl 2000 right now, whole fuel system full of gel. E 10 has made me get a sonic cleaner. Works good on cartridge cleaning too.

I ran/built very high compression cars back when you could drive to the airport, fill up, then do a burnout/weeile for the attendant. We could still get the purple and green AV fuel then ( >> 100 octane).

These are great threads and really highlight the benefits of dyno testing. Just some random scientific observations
1) premium gas doesn't have any more "energy/power" than regular. A gallon of each produces the same number of BTU's. It isn't denser or "better", it is only more resistant to detonation
2) these tests will be difficult due to the variability in pump gas. The stuff oxides and can both lose its potential energy and resistance to detonation (again, not the same thing) with age and storage conditions
3) m-tronic (and I obviously cannot be 100% certain, but it's close) does not monitor for detonation in the combustion chamber and alter timing based on the fuels resistance to detonation
As a disclaimer, due to my inherent belief that my saws are awesome, and should have the "best" fuel, I run brand name premium from a busy station with belray at 32:1('cause 24:1 would be nuts:D). All the science in the world is not gonna convince the chainsaw part of my brain that 87 isn't crap, that premium doesn't have more "power", and that my saws would explode on any sort of less expensive fuel.
PS, the 230psi 288 lives in my garage, and I apologize to it daily that that mean mdavlee put 87 into it:D

These are great threads and really highlight the benefits of dyno testing. Just some random scientific observations
1) premium gas doesn't have any more "energy/power" than regular. A gallon of each produces the same number of BTU's. It isn't denser or "better", it is only more resistant to detonation
2) these tests will be difficult due to the variability in pump gas. The stuff oxides and can both lose its potential energy and resistance to detonation (again, not the same thing) with age and storage conditions
3) m-tronic (and I obviously cannot be 100% certain, but it's close) does not monitor for detonation in the combustion chamber and alter timing based on the fuels resistance to detonation
As a disclaimer, due to my inherent belief that my saws are awesome, and should have the "best" fuel, I run brand name premium from a busy station with belray at 32:1('cause 24:1 would be nuts:D). All the science in the world is not gonna convince the chainsaw part of my brain that 87 isn't crap, that premium doesn't have more "power", and that my saws would explode on any sort of less expensive fuel.
PS, the 230psi 288 lives in my garage, and I apologize to it daily that that mean mdavlee put 87 into it:D
Lol! Agree

Jon, I hear what your are saying, and many good points, but M-Tronic does adjust timing based on temp and other factors (perhaps it experiments). I'm not sure exactly how it works or what it modifies, but if it can compensate for porting, etc, it would not surprise me if it can compensate for octane (perhaps because it runs cooler), I don't know, but I believe it is a possibility.

And you are correct that premium fuel does not have more energy, but it enables an engine to have higher compression, and higher compression will produce more power. It may also enable more timing advance, which may also produce more power.

Fresh 87 figure was better than stale 93.

Hmmm 12:8 ? That would be 1.5? Or do you mean 12.8 to 1?

I cannot agree with your statement concerning "protection" nor "ring seal", using 32 parts of fuel to ONE part oil.

I have raced dirt bikes and ran saws > 40 years, no oil problems at 50 parts fuel and one part oil, using Golden Spectro. And that includes my chainsaw miil using 066 and 056 heads.

P.S. I still have a 69 350 chevy LT1 block with shaved deck and heads. It might be 12.8 : 1 comp? About 210 average on the 8 for psi cranking cold.
Yes, he meant 12.8:1.

When I test some chains Mike Ill run some 110 and 87 and check temps
I don't think the 110 octane will be beneficial in the 362....compression to low. Maybe a few octane higher but more than that I'll bet it wouldn't be beneficial. The small amount of testing I've done, along with Keith's' testing, the compression ratio chart I have has been 100% correct.

Back