Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Termite says sunlight breaks the gas down I would like to know what it is broken down into.
The caps are tight and the can is sealed.
Kash
Well sunlight breaks down many things but in general it requires to be accompanied by oxygen to do so just like most other things. In a perfectly sealed container absent oxygen nothing breaks down

I won't allow gas to go in my can if the oil isn't in there first. Become a habit now. The same with the saws - can't fuel up until the oil tank has first been filled.

Being a bear of very little brain, such little rituals are needed. Memory cells are emigrating faster than ever now...
I do the same, oil first then gas. I only run hi test gas in all my saws and weedwacker. I have no problems with leaving gas in my saws.

I use to run 44:1, but started to have problems with my ms290. Switch back to 50:1 and decided that is fine. After many years of using 50:1, I'm not going to worry about it.

And listen to the manufacturers recomendations ??? It likely is the best bet yet. As for Amsoil, it sais 100/1 and for good reason. There are no sulvents in the oil. Putting in a little you will notice the oil goes right to the bottom . You really need to shake up the Amsoil . Some say 2 cycle mix is 50% solvents to make it mix in real easy with the gas. Amsoil doesn't do that .

As for Amsoil, it sais 100/1 and for good reason. There are no sulvents in the oil. Putting in a little you will notice the oil goes right to the bottom . You really need to shake up the Amsoil .
Why would no solvents mean you can use less oil? Seems like if what you describe is true, you want more oil, not less.

And listen to the manufacturers recomendations ??? It likely is the best bet yet. As for Amsoil, it sais 100/1 and for good reason. There are no sulvents in the oil. Putting in a little you will notice the oil goes right to the bottom . You really need to shake up the Amsoil . Some say 2 cycle mix is 50% solvents to make it mix in real easy with the gas. Amsoil doesn't do that .
I wouldn’t trust that what so ever I’m actually thinking about 32 to 1 in all my equipment that way I don’t have to have 2 cans of mix( one for the older stuff and one for the new)going at once with premium being around $2 a litre($7.53 a gallon) not something I want to do. Need to figure out what screw driver I need for my new Stihls so I can tune it for the mix. Also need to gut the muffler on my weed whip.

No he means they dont use solvents as evidenced by it sinking to the bottom and needing to be shaken up. I think?
I get that, but why did he say, "As for Amsoil, it sais 100/1 and for good reason" (his spelling 😉). His statement gives me the impression that he thinks 100:1= more oil in the gas than 50:1 and that Amsoil needs more oil due to lack of solvents. Perhaps I misunderstood him though.

Termite says sunlight breaks the gas down I would like to know what it is broken down into.
Shorter hydrocarbon chains = more volatile = more fuel evaporates, leaving longer-chained bunker fuel behind. Sunlight accelerates the evaporation, too.

I get that, but why did he say, "As for Amsoil, it sais 100/1 and for good reason" (his spelling 😉). His statement gives me the impression that he thinks 100:1= more oil in the gas than 50:1 and that Amsoil needs more oil due to lack of solvents. Perhaps I misunderstood him though.
Guess we will see.

I keep it simple. I use different containers for different fuels. Straight gas I put into a red jug. Chainsaw mix I put in a red jug with "50" written on it with a black permanent marker. If I had equipment with other ratios I would mark them accordingly. I always put in the oil first and som e Sta-Bil. Diesel I put in yellow jugs, and I always add diesel conditioner.

I keep it simple. I use different containers for different fuels. Straight gas I put into a red jug. Chainsaw mix I put in a red jug with "50" written on it with a black permanent marker. If I had equipment with other ratios I would mark them accordingly. I always put in the oil first and som e Sta-Bil. Diesel I put in yellow jugs, and I always add diesel conditioner.

Yep. Having multiple red fuel containers around I used to find myself wondering "Is that the one with gas+oil"?

I only run one ratio for all my 2 strokes so now I have two containers with "Gas+oil" written on them with a black Sharpie. One 5 gallon for times when I know I'll be doing a lot of cutting and a 1 gallon container for the times of year I am just running the trimmer occasionally.

The rule is simple: I never put gas in either of those containers unless I have the oil in my hands to make a proper mix at the time I fill it. I use yellow cans for diesel and blue for kerosene. I can't remember the last time I had to wonder what was in any of them.

All of these comments reinforce my reluctance to use other guys’ fuel. No offense intended. If I screw up with my fuel, it’s on me. Something happens with some other guy’s mixed fuel . . .

Philbert
Oh yeah, for sure. There are 3 people (besides me😉) on earth who I trust to use my saws or whose mix fuel I'll use.

Latest posts

Back