Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, no fear here. I mix Amsoil Saber at 100:1, and use it in everything. Only machine that gets a heavier ratio is my paramotor. I run that at 66:1, since I've had head temps of 400° after a long climbout on a hot summer afternoon.

It would probably live at 100:1, but parts for these aren't cheap in the slightest ... AND there's the slight inconvenience of possibly descending where there's no open land. Plenty of swamps, powerlines, and thick trees around here - none of those landing options are much fun. This ratio got picked by an instructor in Louisiana - he's been running this mix ratio for over 5 years in more paramotors than I'll ever fly in my lifetime. If it works for him in hot, muggy LA, then it works for me.

B7E14533-0424-4350-903E-82C63FA91501.jpeg

I use amsoil saber in everything too, but at 50:1
Lots of people think its the best oil out there and it has worked well for me
One thing I really like is the distinct blueish green tint it gives the mix (at least at 50:1) makes it very easy to see you have plenty of oil, even as you pour it into the tank

If the modern two stroke oils are full of solvents to make mixing easier and you fill your can for 50to1 but it winds up 100to 1 in actual oil to gas lube ratio then I guess if I use automobile oil at 12to 1 for my old Pioneer I will be okay but if I use two stroke oil I will have to use 6to1 because of the solvents.
2.00 a liter for gas in Ontario is9.28 a gallon.
I store about 10 5 gallon cans of gas out in the sun winter and summer It is hard on the plastic but I have no problems with condensation or gas degrading some cans might br a couple years old.
Last summer I drained 15 gallons of gas from a guys inboard boat the gas was 15 years old it burned fine in my outdoor equipment including chain saws.
My dad taught me to always use a filter funnel I use a big one and pour my oil in the funnel as I fill with gas plus I shake the can before I use it to fill equipment.
Kash

15 years ago, there was no ethanol in fuel, so I'm not surprised. I actually got an old pressure washer running that I had forgotten about for 8 years, which had 12 year old fuel in it back in 2015. Started in 3 pulls! I was amazed.

I use amsoil saber in everything too, but at 50:1
Lots of people think its the best oil out there and it has worked well for me
One thing I really like is the distinct blueish green tint it gives the mix (at least at 50:1) makes it very easy to see you have plenty of oil, even as you pour it into the tank
I don't think Saber is the best oil. I KNOW it is. I've seen the proof with my own eyes. :)

NAH I just mentioned an ordeal with a bandsaw that had been through 4 engines in a silly short amount of run time, these are 4 stroke. They concluded the white tanks were affecting the Gas.
Things are better for him after Timber Kings' decision.
Well 4 engines ruined and they think it was the color of the fuel tank? That is a head scratcher...........

Oxygen isn't necessary for evaporation to occur.

The atmosphere.

If you think the gasoline is re-condensing inside your "sealed" gas can out in the blazing sun, I've got news for ya.
Did you read what I said in posts#46 #64 and #68? If so re-read them

You say oxygen is not necessary for evaporation. Well yes the element oxygen is not necessary. The atmosphere we live in is about 78% nitrogen so the element oxygen is a minor part of that. The term I should have used was air but I assumed when I said oxygen that was assumed. I guess not

If you read post #46 I said "In a perfectly sealed container absent oxygen nothing breaks down" I guess you missed the perfectly sealed part . Now I did use the specific term oxygen instead of the general term air. That was a mistake on my part. I should have said air but once again I assumed incorrectly that it was understood.

You say ...If you think the gasoline is re-condensing inside your "sealed" gas can out in the blazing sun, I've got news for ya..... Now I am going to make an assumption here that you understand three of the four states of matter. For this I assume you understand a solid, a liquid, and a gas. For this situation understanding plasma is not needed. We will assume a standard capped fuel can is 75% full. Now gasoline is a liquid at room temperature, right? As the temperature increase it becomes a gas right? Since the can is 75% occupied by a liquid what occupies the other 25%? I believe it is occupied by air. Now as the temperature increase what occurs? Well the liquid goes through what is called a phase change and part of the liquid becomes a gas. As the liquid becomes a gas it has no specific shape and assumes and occupies the 25% space. As it does that one of two things must occur. The air that previously occupied the space must be displaced and released, or it must be compressed which increases pressure. If the can is not perfectly sealed then the air is released as it is displaced by the liquid becomes a gas.. As the temperature increases and more of the liquid goes through a phase change becoming a gas less of it is now in the liquid state. If the can is not perfectly sealed (which a traditional can is not) the gas escapes into the atmosphere and is lost forever. Now at no point is sunlight breaking down the gas. It is going through a phase change do to an increase in temperature. Yes if a can that is NOT perfectly sealed (which no standard gasoline cans are) then liquid gasoline will be lost into the atmosphere but it is due to an increase in temperature and the presence of air not sunlight. Does leaving a fuel can in the sun increase this? Of course it does because the sunlight increases the temperature thus increasing phase change. t is not the "light" it is the heat. If you do not believe me then take two identical cans. Heat one to a set temperature and time using sunlight and heat the other using a different method in the dark. See what results. I bet you will find as long as the volume, container , and temperature are the same the resulting loss will be the same.

Now to make this a bit simpler can we agree that LP (liquid propane) is a liquid that becomes a gas in the presence of air? I would surely assume that could be agreed. Right now my 1000 gallon tank is at 40% meaning 40% of the space is occupied by a liquid and 60% by a gas. It is about 35 degrees F out right now. I am not going to go out and look at the pressure gauge but for conversation sake lets assume the current pressure is 75psi. Now since it is 35 degrees and I am heating with the wood boiler no propane is being used. Now lets also assume keep my boiler going through July thus not needing propane for domestic hot water. Now I assume we can agree that in Illinois by the time July arrives it will be much warmer than 35F. Can we agree on that? I assume we can also agree that in July the tank will have been exposed to many a sunny day? Right. Now if you believe sunlight causes evaporation in a perfectly sealed container then how much of my LP tank will be occupied by a liquid and how much by a gas come July? I would be interested to hear.

Yet another example for you. Have you ever had a full oxygen cylinder (cutting torch) delivered to you in the dead of winter? I cannot speak to your area but here for many good reasons at the terminal they are stored under roof but in a open, well ventilated unheated area. When they deliver them the oxygen in the tank is at or close to the outside air temp. Now put your regulators on and crack them open. What does your tank pressure read? I am betting about 1800 psi. Now put the torch and tanks out where the sun can beat down on them. Granted in the winter that might be tough. After awhile go see what your tank pressure is. I bet it is higher. Wow did the sun magically make more oxygen appear in your tank? No the heat generated by the sun increased the pressure. not the volume. Now go put them in a heated shop and check later. I get your tank pressure is about 2200psi.

Now I will stick to the basics: Sunlight does not as a single factor break down gas
Gas does not evaporate from a perfectly sealed container
I use oxygen a lot when I should use air.
Lastly some folks are full of it....it being hot air (me sometimes)

You say oxygen is not necessary for evaporation. Well yes the element oxygen is not necessary. The atmosphere we live in is about 78% nitrogen so the element oxygen is a minor part of that. The term I should have used was air but I assumed when I said oxygen that was assumed. I guess not

If you read post #46 I said "In a perfectly sealed container absent oxygen nothing breaks down" I guess you missed the perfectly sealed part . Now I did use the specific term oxygen instead of the general term air. That was a mistake on my part. I should have said air but once again I assumed incorrectly that it was understood.

You say ...If you think the gasoline is re-condensing inside your "sealed" gas can out in the blazing sun, I've got news for ya..... Now I am going to make an assumption here that you understand three of the four states of matter. For this I assume you understand a solid, a liquid, and a gas. For this situation understanding plasma is not needed. We will assume a standard capped fuel can is 75% full. Now gasoline is a liquid at room temperature, right? As the temperature increase it becomes a gas right? Since the can is 75% occupied by a liquid what occupies the other 25%? I believe it is occupied by air. Now as the temperature increase what occurs? Well the liquid goes through what is called a phase change and part of the liquid becomes a gas. As the liquid becomes a gas it has no specific shape and assumes and occupies the 25% space. As it does that one of two things must occur. The air that previously occupied the space must be displaced and released, or it must be compressed which increases pressure. If the can is not perfectly sealed then the air is released as it is displaced by the liquid becomes a gas.. As the temperature increases and more of the liquid goes through a phase change becoming a gas less of it is now in the liquid state. If the can is not perfectly sealed (which a traditional can is not) the gas escapes into the atmosphere and is lost forever. Now at no point is sunlight breaking down the gas. It is going through a phase change do to an increase in temperature. Yes if a can that is NOT perfectly sealed (which no standard gasoline cans are) then liquid gasoline will be lost into the atmosphere but it is due to an increase in temperature and the presence of air not sunlight. Does leaving a fuel can in the sun increase this? Of course it does because the sunlight increases the temperature thus increasing phase change. t is not the "light" it is the heat. If you do not believe me then take two identical cans. Heat one to a set temperature and time using sunlight and heat the other using a different method in the dark. See what results. I bet you will find as long as the volume, container , and temperature are the same the resulting loss will be the same.

Now to make this a bit simpler can we agree that LP (liquid propane) is a liquid that becomes a gas in the presence of air? I would surely assume that could be agreed. Right now my 1000 gallon tank is at 40% meaning 40% of the space is occupied by a liquid and 60% by a gas. It is about 35 degrees F out right now. I am not going to go out and look at the pressure gauge but for conversation sake lets assume the current pressure is 75psi. Now since it is 35 degrees and I am heating with the wood boiler no propane is being used. Now lets also assume keep my boiler going through July thus not needing propane for domestic hot water. Now I assume we can agree that in Illinois by the time July arrives it will be much warmer than 35F. Can we agree on that? I assume we can also agree that in July the tank will have been exposed to many a sunny day? Right. Now if you believe sunlight causes evaporation in a perfectly sealed container then how much of my LP tank will be occupied by a liquid and how much by a gas come July? I would be interested to hear.

Yet another example for you. Have you ever had a full oxygen cylinder (cutting torch) delivered to you in the dead of winter? I cannot speak to your area but here for many good reasons at the terminal they are stored under roof but in a open, well ventilated unheated area. When they deliver them the oxygen in the tank is at or close to the outside air temp. Now put your regulators on and crack them open. What does your tank pressure read? I am betting about 1800 psi. Now put the torch and tanks out where the sun can beat down on them. Granted in the winter that might be tough. After awhile go see what your tank pressure is. I bet it is higher. Wow did the sun magically make more oxygen appear in your tank? No the heat generated by the sun increased the pressure. not the volume. Now go put them in a heated shop and check later. I get your tank pressure is about 2200psi.

Now I will stick to the basics: Sunlight does not as a single factor break down gas
I buy ethanol free gas in a known quantity for example one gallon or two gallons at a time as soon as I put in the 50 to 1 mix oil I take a magic marker and mark the outside of the container with the date and next to it I put a y, the y means yes I did add mix. Just something an old guy needs to help him remember

Random observations: a compressed oxygen bottle pressure does not vary anywhere near as much as you claim. Like nowhere even close. You also use the term "air" when you mean "atmospheric pressure."

Just use ethanol free gas in a No Spill can, and it will be good for at least a year, if not longer. Just don't forget to release the pressure in the can before you fill a saw, or you will likely make a geyser!

Air isn't necessary for evaporation, either. If it was, then steam boilers (which are purged of air as part of their startup process) would not work.

Evaporation also works in the absence of air in the vacuum of space. If you put some water into a glass vessel, then evacuate the air, you can boil it with the heat from your hand. Google vapor pressure.

iu

There is no "phase change" in your oxygen bottle, so there is no "evaporation" in it. The oxygen in the bottle is entirely compressed gas (no liquid, in contrast with your LP gas bottle). There should be no "air" in your LP gas bottle, yet the liquid-phase LP gas evaporates into gas-phase LP gas just fine. (Same deal with a butane lighter.) Hell, you can put dry ice into a vacuum, and it'll sublime directly from a solid to a gas ... no liquid-phase transition and no air needed.

And yes, sunlight "all by itself" will break down gasoline, just as it breaks down "everything under the sun" including ROCKS and DIRT in SPACE. Gasohol on earth just breaks down all that much faster in the presence of oxygen, and humidity, and microbes, etc.

Well 4 engines ruined and they think it was the color of the fuel tank? That is a head scratcher...........
That is what The owner of the bandmill told me, My comment was that I can see the gas/mix level in my Stihl Tanks that are ?translucent? He never hem or hawed just said that was how it was.
I regret hitting the reply before rereading my post. I never saw the 4 bad motors as they were a warranty but I did see a BLACK gas tank and a fresh motor on his mill.
Some one could/should check with TimberKing to "Fact Check" If I am a Victim of B.S.
I have posted a few head Scratchers - cars with plastic or metal tanks out of the sun - Stihl gas tanks - underground leaded gas 50 plus yrs old. - PVC Glue in the rain- Timber King engines are 4 stroke if that reflects facts differently. Won't be back 'til later to catch up on all the chaos I helped create

That is what The owner of the bandmill told me, My comment was that I can see the gas/mix level in my Stihl Tanks that are ?translucent? He never hem or hawed just said that was how it was.
I regret hitting the reply before rereading my post. I never saw the 4 bad motors as they were a warranty but I did see a BLACK gas tank and a fresh motor on his mill.
Some one could/should check with TimberKing to "Fact Check" If I am a Victim of B.S.
I have posted a few head Scratchers - cars with plastic or metal tanks out of the sun - Stihl gas tanks - underground leaded gas 50 plus yrs old. - PVC Glue in the rain- Timber King engines are 4 stroke if that reflects facts differently. Won't be back 'til later to catch up on all the chaos I helped create

There is nothing wrong with what you said. I really cannot see the white/black tank having a direct correlation to 4 bad engines but that is impossible to judge typing from a keyboard. Many folks place blame where it does not belong out of frustration and "just because it's something else" I believe EVERYONE is guilty of that which of course includes myself (sometimes daily) My father was good at that but now that he is gone I miss his misplaced blame.

Since I recently had a ton of my posts removed because they were deemed too political or off topic I am trying to think of a oil/fuel related example of misplaced blame. Well here is one.... Keep in mind this is added for humor and a bit of entertainment for bored old farts like me.

Blame
About 15 years ago I was cutting beans (harvesting) and they were getting tough so I headed back home. We farm right on the Mississippi river bluff so that means a lot of running up and down steep hills. It was well past dark and I wanted to take the combine back to the shop so I headed up the narrow road which snakes up the bluff. Dad was well ahead of me at the top. I got about 2/3rds the way up and all of a sudden she slows way down and poof that was all she had. The engine was dead so no steering, no brakes, nothing to keep me from rolling back down the road. Now I must say this happened to me at nearly the exact same spot in the old combine years before. In that case it was 100% operator error as I "thought" I knew better than he fuel gauge and ran out in the steepest part of the hill. That was a fun one but all worked out.

Now flash forward to the above example. I get two thirds up the hill and poof she shuts down, just like it ran out of fuel. I am able to wrench the steering wheel around enough to let the combine roll back into the road ditch and safely sit there but the road is now partially blocked and it is well past dark. Dad hears it shut down just like before and comes down all bent out of shape blaming me. "Well what the f.. is wrong with you, you f..g run it out of fuel again. now what the f.. are we going to do" Now mind you that my first thought was the same but I knew I had check the fuel level and I had plenty so I am bewildered. Of course I am being blamed (misplaced) but heck I am used to that. Anyway we get it back running horribly and limp it home. You may ask what was actually to blame?? Well as with most cases no single factor whereas is was a series. In a INDIRECT way one could say my father was a small part to blame. The previous fall he filled the combine with fuel and put it in the shed. He was, as well as I, a big proponent of bio fuel/soy diesel and that was what he put in it. Well over the 11 months or so it sat apparently the ole soy oil allowed algae to grow. It eventually developed into nasty crap that ended up plugging the fuel filters thus causing the engine to starve for fuel and die.
Let's look at who or what was to blame for this fuel (On topic) fiasco....
Was it the color of the tank? well no that did not change.
Was it the sunlight? Well not much sun in a steel tank strapped to a combine sitting in a shed.
Was it the fuel filters that had recently been replaced? Possibly but no.
Was it the Case-IH tech that did the pre-harvest inspection and did not mention anything about fuel? Well no
Was it the fuel company that delivered the fuel? No
Was it me for not knowing what was going to occur ? Maybe, always was me in the past.
Was it me for being the driver?
Was it my father for filling the tank a year in advance which allowed the algae to grow? In a small way maybe but no.
Was it the bio-diesel itself? Now this is where the anti-bio fuel guys stand up and scream YES. YES,YES you idiot of course it was.

Well actually that is no entirely true and I will gladly debate it. Any takers?

Keep her well lubed and out of the light of day so she don't decay

I do so love a fuel, oil thread
The biggest factor are the additives used in gasoline to increase octane and slow down phase separation, degradation etc , over the decades it has changed several times to what we have now with a shorter shelf life. Last year I performed a little experiment at the advice of a fuel/oil engineer. In may of 2021 I took a pint ball jar and filled it 2/3 with non ethanol 93 and added approx 2 tablespoons of high quality 2 cycle oil to it. The man suggested the issue with mixed fuel is the oil falling out of suspension. I have left that jar in the sun, wind, rain etc since may of last year sealed up, the level has not dropped. Last week I noticed the oil started falling out of suspension from the gasoline and turned a amber color while the gasoline has remained the same color of yellow. The original oil color was a blue/green. I plan to try and shake it back into a uniform mixture but Im thinking the suns ultraviolet rays have damaged the additives in the oil.

I always give my 2mix a shake before filling saws. One or two shakes and it should be homogeneous again.
According to "the oil company guy" if it falls out of suspension after being well mixed it should be discarded. He also said it should hold suspension for several months or even over a year if stored properly. The oil I tested is over 10 years old, stored in a factory sealed plastic bottle in a hot/freezing garage. He also insisted the oil be shaken like one would before using spray paint.

According to "the oil company guy" if it falls out of suspension after being well mixed it should be discarded. He also said it should hold suspension for several months or even over a year if stored properly. The oil I tested is over 10 years old, stored in a factory sealed plastic bottle in a hot/freezing garage. He also insisted the oil be shaken like one would before using spray paint.
And now you know why the chainsaw shops say " it froze up cause it was straight gassed."

If the modern two stroke oils are full of solvents to make mixing easier and you fill your can for 50to1 but it winds up 100to 1 in actual oil to gas lube ratio then I guess if I use automobile oil at 12to 1 for my old Pioneer I will be okay but if I use two stroke oil I will have to use 6to1 because of the solvents.
2.00 a liter for gas in Ontario is9.28 a gallon.
I store about 10 5 gallon cans of gas out in the sun winter and summer It is hard on the plastic but I have no problems with condensation or gas degrading some cans might br a couple years old.
Last summer I drained 15 gallons of gas from a guys inboard boat the gas was 15 years old it burned fine in my outdoor equipment including chain saws.
My dad taught me to always use a filter funnel I use a big one and pour my oil in the funnel as I fill with gas plus I shake the can before I use it to fill equipment.
Kash
They dont have anywhere near that amount of solvent in them. Solvents are necessary for those of us that plan to mix gas in frigid temps.

Old 2-Strike Oil:

Here is a question: Let’s say I have a few sealed…never opened…containers of 2-cycle mix oil that is about…15-20 years old. It is not junk oil…quality made.

So, I was thinking about mixing that stuff for my mowers and chainsaw at 32:1 or 40:1 as to use it up…but not burn something out in the process.

However….One side tells me to use it and not waste it…the other side tells me to pitch it (why take the risk)
What to do?
32:1 it’ll be fine

I run 32:1 had some trouble a while back with a ported saw at 40:1 (Lucas). I shared photos on another site.

I bought a gallon of red armor a while back. I might go 40-1 or 50-1 depending on what I see after running a little

currently I’m using raisman full synthetic. I don’t know much about that oil. Never known anyone else to use it. At 32:1 my saws look good Nice oil slick on exhaust side. I’m happy enough.
I figure the extra oil mixed in just keeps my bearings and shitstuff lubed.

To the OP, no fear here. I mix Amsoil Saber at 100:1, and use it in everything. Only machine that gets a heavier ratio is my paramotor. I run that at 66:1, since I've had head temps of 400° after a long climbout on a hot summer afternoon.

It would probably live at 100:1, but parts for these aren't cheap in the slightest ... AND there's the slight inconvenience of possibly descending where there's no open land. Plenty of swamps, powerlines, and thick trees around here - none of those landing options are much fun. This ratio got picked by an instructor in Louisiana - he's been running this mix ratio for over 5 years in more paramotors than I'll ever fly in my lifetime. If it works for him in hot, muggy LA, then it works for me.

View attachment 976853
You sir are still insane.

Latest posts

Back