Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I've settled on 45:1 to account for the bit that never comes out. Lots seem to endorse 40:1.

I use to run 44:1, but started to have problems with my ms290. Switch back to 50:1 and decided that is fine. After many years of using 50:1, I'm not going to worry about it.

I always add the 2-stroke mix BEFORE adding the gas. Too easy to get distracted, especially, when other people are around.

Each can has a Manila shipping tag with the date that the fuel was PURCHASED (date I got it from the pump). If it is over 30 days it gets ‘blended in’ / diluted with a full tank in the car.

I do not use as much fuel as some of you other guys, but this works for me. And I have never experienced fuel related problems with my personal saws. Group equipment is a another story, with many hands involved (!).

I am sure that I have offended some other Sawyers, by declining their offer of fuel for my saw, but I am quite fussy about it due to problems experienced.

Philbert

If I have to fill up a jug and forgot to add oil beforehand I’ll fill up the jug then turn the spout so it’s facing the opposite direction I.e. over your handle on top. Then when I grab it I immediately can tell something’s not right. Add oil then put the spout in the correct orientation. Haven’t straight gassed anything…yet!!

I always add the 2-stroke mix BEFORE adding the gas. Too easy to get distracted, especially, when other people are around.

Each can has a Manila shipping tag with the date that the fuel was PURCHASED (date I got it from the pump). If it is over 30 days it gets ‘blended in’ / diluted with a full tank in the car.

I do not use as much fuel as some of you other guys, but this works for me. And I have never experienced fuel related problems with my personal sauce. Group equipment is a another story, with many hands involved (!).

I am sure that I have offended some other Sawyers, by declining their offer of fuel for my saw, but I am quite fussy about it due to problems experienced.

Philbert

I put the oil in first for another reason. The gas following helps mix the oil and gas.

I've never used others gas either. Thanks, but no thanks.

I do not use as much fuel as some of you other guys, but this works for me. And I have never experienced fuel related problems with my personal sauce. Group equipment is a another story, with many hands involved (!).

Philbert
My method also. Dated manila tag. I will go up to 2 months on mix.

My method also. Dated manila tag. I will go up to 2 months on mix.

The gas I used to prep my ms400c breakin (I used the ms261 to cut ramps, trim the logs, etc.) was 6 months old. Only once have I experienced old gas problems and that was gas in the ms880, for about 3 years. Saw ran a bit sluggish, that I attributed to being a big saw that I haven't put a lot of time on. When I put new fresh gas mix in, the saw ran remarkably different/better. Basically use the old gas, if something seems off, then empty it and put fresh gas in. Most of the time it will be okay, and for those few times it is not, no biggie, just replace it.

My chainsaw fuel can is 1.25 gallons. That equals 160 ounces. 4 ounces of synthetic 2 stroke oil = 40/1 fuel oil ratio. Works for me. I carry oil in the small Stihl bottles with the see through ounce scale on the side filled to the 4 ounce mark.

Old 2-Strike Oil:

Here is a question: Let’s say I have a few sealed…never opened…containers of 2-cycle mix oil that is about…15-20 years old. It is not junk oil…quality made.

So, I was thinking about mixing that stuff for my mowers and chainsaw at 32:1 or 40:1 as to use it up…but not burn something out in the process.

However….One side tells me to use it and not waste it…the other side tells me to pitch it (why take the risk)
What to do?

I personally mix all the fuel. That way there's no Oops.... I use highest octane available depending on the state you live in. At a 40:1 ratio and add a couple ounces of seafoam fuel additive... never had a saw blow up yet... remember when using pre measured bottles that not all the mix goes into the fuel... so a 2.5 gallon bottle for 50:1 isn't really 50:1....better to mix it with 2 gallons and run a little rich than running lean.... I've heard all the cons from everyone about excess smoke, plug fouling, etc.etc.... never had a problem and with the new computerized, non adjustable, emission compliant carbs beware.... they're adjusted to run lean for emissions... causing lot's of problems in saws blowing up, holes in the piston top prematurely...

Old 2-Strike Oil:

Here is a question: Let’s say I have a few sealed…never opened…containers of 2-cycle mix oil that is about…15-20 years old. It is not junk oil…quality made.

So, I was thinking about mixing that stuff for my mowers and chainsaw at 32:1 or 40:1 as to use it up…but not burn something out in the process.

However….One side tells me to use it and not waste it…the other side tells me to pitch it (why take the risk)
What to do?
Use it. Oil don't go bad. Hell, it is found unsealed/underground, been sitting around since the dinosaurs.

Back