Most handy chainsaw accessory ... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even have a splitter. Might as well have said natural gas heat lol.
When we went to the woodburner I told my wife we needed a splitter. She proceeds to tell me the pioneers split by hand. I had a fresh 12” hickory log there, I started a wedge and handed her the sledge. After 3 swings she turns and walks away dropping the sledge. “How much is this gonna cost?”

When we went to the woodburner I told my wife we needed a splitter. She proceeds to tell me the pioneers split by hand. I had a fresh 12” hickory log there, I started a wedge and handed her the sledge. After 3 swings she turns and walks away dropping the sledge. “How much is this gonna cost?”

My wife has no problem watching me sweating my rear off in the summer heat splitting wood. I'm young and short on spare cash with a new growing family. I'll get one some day but I'll get that look like I'm wasting money on a new toy.

Fresh 12” hickory or black locust and I bet she changes her mind.

I had some knotty pine I got for free and I split one piece and threw the rest in the burn pile. I split a bunch of willow and about a cord of black alder. Keep hitting it and it will split and if not throw it in the burn pile. I like ash and maple lol

Sorry. You should have asked her to carry the logs, like I did. :laughing:

I had some knotty pine I got for free and I split one piece and threw the rest in the burn pile. I split a bunch of willow and about a cord of black alder. Keep hitting it and it will split and if not throw it in the burn pile. I like ash and maple lol
Agree, hate pine. Oak splits easy, wait till it freezes and pops open. Father-in-law always said read the splits in the wood and hit the edge. Bought my first splitter 5 years ago, always used a 14lb maul. Only been burning for 42 years though.

Agree, hate pine. Oak splits easy, wait till it freezes and pops open. Father-in-law always said read the splits in the wood and hit the edge. Bought my first splitter 5 years ago, always used a 14lb maul. Only been burning for 42 years though.
Nobody likes a quitter. :lol:

I picked up a little T-Handle set with about 30 bits and a handful of sockets from Walmart. Short of the flywheel nut you can just about completely strip down a saw with that.

My wife has no problem watching me sweating my rear off in the summer heat splitting wood. I'm young and short on spare cash with a new growing family. I'll get one some day but I'll get that look like I'm wasting money on a new toy.

I just bought a kynetic 7ton splitter from a farm store out west called Murdock’s for $213, and I live in Ky. Shipping was a little over $100 and the upgrade kit on Ebay to make it a 10ton was $40. The Lowe’s price I could find on a new 10 ton was $650, so for 1/2 price I got a new 10ton by being willing to do a little work for it.

My most valued accessory after any hard days work, is an infrared heat pad! Combine that beauty with 2 or 3 good ice packs, the ones that have a bunch of little pockets instead of the ones that are one big bag, and your back will LOVE you for it!

Back