MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I owned a gym for 19 years and we had dumbbell stands that would hold up to 160s for the Silver Backed Gorillas that came through. Once they get over 100s it just made it so much easier getting in place to go. Me? Never went over 125s. Wish I hadn't. Joints today at times are awful. Using 100s on flat for sets is very respectable for sure!
The dope I lift with once in a while did 125s for 2 and now he has a hernia .

Nice. I owned a gym for 19 years and we had dumbbell stands that would hold up to 160s for the Silver Backed Gorillas that came through. Once they get over 100s it just made it so much easier getting in place to go. Me? Never went over 125s. Wish I hadn't. Joints today at times are awful. Using 100s on flat for sets is very respectable for sure!
And thats for an old man and no juice!

The dope I lift with once in a while did 125s for 2 and now he has a hernia .

I remember my "being a dope" as in dumb guy way back. Wished I hadn't.

Now, back to the 241. Stihl should have held that saw just under 5 bills like $499 and I think the acceptance would have been a lot better. It is too close to the 261. Add in the 10% off I get from my Dealer and that would be terrific. Seems like no one complains about the 241, just the price.

What I've found to work on buying saws I don't need that are priced more than I want to pay is to set up a charge account with the Dealer. It is so easy to walk in and buy a new saw without paying for it that moment. Then the following month when the bill comes in the mail just write the check. This has really added adrenalin to my CAD disorder. :)

I remember my "being a dope" as in dumb guy way back. Wished I hadn't.

Now, back to the 241. Stihl should have held that saw just under 5 bills like $499 and I think the acceptance would have been a lot better. It is to close to the 261. Add in the 10% off I get from my Dealer and that would be terrific. Seems like no one complains about the 241, just the price.

What I've found to work on buying saws I don't need that are priced more than I want to pay is to set up a charge account with the Dealer. It is so easy to walk in and buy a new saw without paying for it that moment. Then the following month when the bill comes in the mail just write the check. This has really added adrenalin to my CAD disorder. :)
What is the list on them?

Ya 549.99 lol 600 bucks out the door after you buy the 6 pack of stihl oil to get the 2 year warranty.

Hey Red did you ever find out if the 14 or 16 was better yet? And are you getting the saw for your father? I wonder if the stock chain is fast enough?

I think we got sidetracked with some orange saws. It sounds like 16" picco setup should be just fine. Im sure there will be a ms241 under the Christmas tree

Don't know about the stock chain though.

Unless somebody thinks .325x14" would suit the 241 well. I have never filed picco.

I think the MS 241 C-M comes with PS3 saw chain. It should be a good set up with a "16 in." bar. Heck, even the MS 180 C-B comes with that size bar. I think any dad would be proud to own a MS 241 C-M as a Christmas gift. The MS 261 C-M, meh, for $80 more it won't out cut a good running farmboss (029 SUPER).

I know you appreciate a solid quality saw, so just don't pay the Husqy fan boys no nevermind. The 550xpat is only impressive at gtgs and zipping 2" limbs off a pecker pole pine. It is a crappy firewood saw, mostly due to its flimsy design. It sucks to fell hardwood trees that are near bar length, the damn dawg is too small. It sucks to set it down while repositioning the wood, because the damn "sideways balance" flops it on its side then you have to bend over further to pick it up. It sucks to have to deal with the rediculous outboard clutch and brake setup while not in a shop. It sucks to deal with a flimsy air filter while cutting dry dusty deadwood. It sucks to have to buy special bars and chains for. It is not as good on fuel as Arborsite would have you believe. It just sucks

IMPEACH THE FLIMSY 550XPAT!

I think the MS 241 C-M comes with PS3 saw chain. It should be a good set up with a "16 in." bar. Heck, even the MS 180 C-B comes with that size bar. I think any dad would be proud to own a MS 241 C-M as a Christmas gift. The MS 261 C-M, meh, for $80 more it won't out cut a good running farmboss (029 SUPER).

I know you appreciate a solid quality saw, so just don't pay the Husqy fan boys no nevermind. The 550xpat is only impressive at gtgs and zipping 2" limbs off a pecker pole pine. It is a crappy firewood saw, mostly due to its flimsy design. It sucks to fell hardwood trees that are near bar length, the damn dawg is too small. It sucks to set it down while repositioning the wood, because the damn "sideways balance" flops it on its side then you have to bend over further to pick it up. It sucks to have to deal with the rediculous outboard clutch and brake setup while not in a shop. It sucks to deal with a flimsy air filter while cutting dry dusty deadwood. It sucks to have to buy special bars and chains for. It is not as good on fuel as Arborsite would have you believe. It just sucks

IMPEACH THE FLIMSY 550XPAT!
Which ones do you have ?

I use my 241 min 5 days a week,will never be without one set up with 7 pin rim sprocket 16'' .325

I see your sig your 241 is ported. Can a stock 241 pull the 16" .325 with authority?

Which ones do you have ?

He is not just bashing the husky. He has the 550 that I ran and has a arctic 261 that I ran as well. Just wanted to clear that up. But I just cut some cookies with both side by side. So I can not comment on real world firewood performance.

My mane use for the 241 is liming or working out of a cage triming so mostley smaller size wood but it has the balls when required for the odd bigger limbs.

I am just a little concerned with the picco chain that comes stock, holding an edge and sharpening it.

Most of the wood he cuts are tops of trees and pecker poles that have peen pushed into a pile by a dozer. The majority of the wood is 12" or smaller, So it doesn't have to be split.

Thank you all for the replies.

I cut a lot of dry dead stuff so thats why i usw .325 and semi chisel.

In your opinion would it be a wise choice to have the dealer set the saw up with a 14" .325 bar and chain before I leave the shop?

lf the OP's dad wants a small Stihl....well give him one and the 241cm is without doubt one of Stihls best products. The guys that like a solid saw love them. Light, great fuel ecconomy, smooth av, mtronics, tough side chain tensioner and dawg.....theres not much to dislike about them.

Latest posts

Back