MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct. I ran with the 241 as though he had decided on the Stihl brand. My mistake. I have a 550xp and on the extreme end of 40cc is an 8# Dolmar 401 which is a rear handle but I use it like a top handle lol.

He just needs to handle and run them to decide. If he is older the heck with the price, get him what he wants!

I say let Brad get the saw for a couple bucks less then work his magic on it.

Mine is the older style, discontinued model in blue, a "Dolkita." Runs great but can't match the 241 let alone the anti vibs and filtration. Good inexpensive saw for the trail and bumping around the woodlot. Always starts no matter what.

Can't vouch for the new ones, never had a small dolmar.

The Solo 643ip will give any 40cc saw a run for its money but hey we will disgard them due to the small advertising budget.lol. l believe the ms241cm is one of stihls best products, it really is a little pro saw in every way. However while l do not always agree with Sawtroll beating his big Husky drum, in this instance he makes a valid point. The 550xp is very similar in size/wieght to the 241 with a massive 10cc's more power...its something a buyer cannot ignore. If you want the best power-wieght maybe the 241cm is not the best choice but if you want a 40cc saw packed with the latest tech and the dna from stihl latest generation pro saws, well the 241cm could well be the best choice.

The Solo 643ip will give any 40cc saw a run for its money but hey we will disgard them due to the small advertising budget.lol. l believe the ms241cm is one of stihls best products, it really is a little pro saw in every way. However while l do not always agree with Sawtroll beating his big Husky drum, in this instance he makes a valid point. The 550xp is very similar in size/wieght to the 241 with a massive 10cc's more power...its something a buyer cannot ignore. If you want the best power-wieght maybe the 241cm is not the best choice but if you want a 40cc saw packed with the latest tech and the dna from stihl latest generation pro saws, well the 241cm could well be the best choice.
How would you compare a 346Xp an MS 261 and Xp550?

I ran a muff modded 550 It was a beast of a little saw. But the Husky dealer is garbage in my area, and the old man wants a cream sickle.

I have made a few cuts with both the 261 and the 550 and power wise they feel dead even in my unbiased opinion. The 550 feels a little more nimble. I have never run the 346.

I have made a few cuts with both the 261 and the 550 and power wise they feel dead even in my unbiased opinion. The 550 feels a little more nimble. I have never run the 346.
Sounds like the 346 is like the 550 then. I have a 346 and a 261 they are close but the 261 is better in bigger logs and the 346 shines limbing.

No but there must be one of the Aboristsite guys around you? I really wish I could help It would come down quick with my bucket.

I am not worried about it. It is not hurting anything where it is.

Both of mine are ported by different guys. The 261 has more torque, the 550 is just plain more vicious with a lighter hand. Small wood the 550 wins, larger wood the 261 is faster.

Here is my order of use for smaller saws, 241 now most of the time. The 550 when it gets over 14" and the 261 is boxed because if the 550 can't handle it I jump to a 60 or 70cc saw. Not perfect but what I find myself using at this point.

Both of mine are ported by different guys. The 261 has more torque, the 550 is just plain more vicious with a lighter hand. Small wood the 550 wins, larger wood the 261 is faster.

Here is my order of use for smaller saws, 241 now most of the time. The 550 when it gets over 14" and the 261 is boxed because if the 550 can't handle it I jump to a 60 or 70cc saw. Not perfect but what I find myself using at this point.
You like the lighter saw huh is your back bad?

No, just have moved too much weight in the gym for many many years. Still use 80-100# dumbells on a good day but the body is just getting worn out and the weight of a strong running lightweight saw feels like my wife when we met. She was under 100#s and a College Cheerleader. Now maybe 120#s but I still can't toss her around like I used to ;)

No, just have moved too much weight in the gym for many many years. Still use 80-100# dumbells on a good day but the body is just getting worn out and the weight of a strong running lightweight saw feels like my wife when we met. She was under 100#s and a College Cheerleader. Now maybe 120#s but I still can't toss her around like I used to ;)
I use 100s I can get 15 reps on flat .

Brad ported both my 241 and 261cm--the 241 will keep up with the 261 until the wood goes over 10"-- then the hp of the 261 really shines. But-- on a normal day the 241 gets 50% of the combined run time of all the saws. It's just that good -- and lighter! If I had only one saw I would chose the 241 and cut smaller trees. I'm too soon old and to late smart.

Brad ported both my 241 and 261cm--the 241 will keep up with the 261 until the wood goes over 10"-- then the hp of the 261 really shines. But-- on a normal day the 241 gets 50% of the combined run time of all the saws. It's just that good -- and lighter! If I had only one saw I would chose the 241 and cut smaller trees. I'm too soon old and to late smart.
Sounds like a nice little saw.

Nice. I owned a gym for 19 years and we had dumbbell stands that would hold up to 160s for the Silver Backed Gorillas that came through. Once they get over 100s it just made it so much easier getting in place to go. Me? Never went over 125s. Wish I hadn't. Joints today at times are awful. Using 100s on flat for sets is very respectable for sure!

Back