MS 441....Are they panning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) I hate to do something unusual, like drag this thread kicking and screaming back to the OP's original question....but

We have a couple of 441s with 32" bars that we use for landing saws. They're about a year old and they've been used hard. Clean fuel and clean filters are about all the maintenance they get and they're run by a variety of people, some good, some not. What I'm saying is that, in direct opposite to most home owner 441s, these saws get abused every day.

We've had absolutely no problem with them. None. Zero trouble.

Are they the saw the 460 is? No. I've run both and the 460 is just a better saw for the work that I need it to do. The 460 has a little more grunt and they're also very reliable. We got a deal on the 441s and for price I couldn't see turning them down. I do notice though that if there's a 460 and a 441 on the landing the chaser will usually go for the 460...especially if there's heavy bucking to do.
But if you're not into heavy production cutting and you can get a good price on one, a 441, especially for just firewood cutting and such, should be fine for you. :cheers:

:cheers::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Stihl wasn't the first, except by their own definition - who was first depends on how you define a chainsaw - lots of options!

Quite a few contradictions condensed into just one statement. Perhaps it lost something in the translation?

The 441 is likely one of the better saws ever made.:popcorn: I personally don't see anything wrong with it at all, maybe it's a little heavy, but that's about it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all. I know I like it a lot better than the 575. I've never ran a 576 so I can't comment on that saw. :cheers:

My understanding is that the 441 was never designed to stand with or replace the 460. So I think that the fact they are even being compared at all should tell you something about how good the 441 really is.

Mr. HE:cool:

Sorry but the Air filtration in the 441 is an exact copy of Husky's setup. It's a fact that Stihl had to wait until Husky's patent rights ended before they could sell a saw with air injection. The spring AV is a different story, as many other manufactures have been using AV springs for decades.

Yea, but Husky stole it from Jonsered....;) :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:
Mike

My understanding is that the 441 was never designed to stand with or replace the 460. So I think that the fact they are even being compared at all should tell you something about how good the 441 really is.

Mr. HE:cool:

my thoughts too. i was going to get a 441 but came accross a deal on a used 044 so i took it. and i dont regret it. my buddy has a brand new 460 and i cant tell a big difference between the too. he gets about 1-2 second faster cuts, but i like the way mine handles.

just so we can clarify this, i have never run a 441 but i have heard good things about them, it seems to me that the 441 has been met with some resistence from a lot of stihl guys, but as time marches on a lot of them are grudgingly accepting the 441 into the lineup. or at least not complaining about them, so that tells me they might just be a good saw. JMO

although i couldnt imagine trading my 044 for anything.

I:heart:my 460. I also have nothing bad to say about the 441, no I have never ran one but all the videos that people have posted on here of the 441 shows it to be a very good running saw. As far as running a 441 vs the 576 I think the 576 is more to compare to the 460 in size. No the 460 is'nt a strato saw but who in the he## cares it is the same size! When stihl comes out with the strato 460 it will be more than willing to compare the 576 I'm sure.

I was told by the local Stihl distributor at the lumberjack world championships that they were still working bugs out of the 441, siting carburator issues. He also said that the prototype 362's he has had working in the woods this year were bulletproof. My local dealer will not push a 441, siting they are a pain to work on. I found these statements interesting coming from Stihl reps.

In regards to the antivibe, there are two side's to that story. I prefer the rubber mounts for felling and reliability, but the firewood cutter will prefer the springs most of the time for less vibes.

Weight is the same while the 460 has more hp.

The 460 is a proven performer with undeniable modability and reliability. The 441 is still in prototype stage, even though it's in production. I'd reach for a 460.

husky may well have pioneered the av & air injection,but perfected it. The 441 is proof of that,as will be the 362&261 that will be here this fall!!

They did not pioneer either. Electro-Lux and Husqvarna are the Borg of the chainsaw industry. They assimilate, distribute and reap the rewards. Resistance is futile, for many.

Last edited:
One of my Stihl dealers did not give the 441 very high marks... he had worked on too many of them and he said his customers were not happy about that. I have seen many on this site sing their praises over the last two years, though. Let's face it, if we're comparing it somewhat favorably with the 460, a tried and true, indestructible atom bomb of a saw, it sure doesn't suck!.

If it isn't a great saw now I'll bet future versions will be.. it really does sound like a saw with some great points. It seems that way with first-run versions of just about anything.

Put a 24 inch bar and full comp chain on both the 460 and 441 and it's very hard to tell the difference between the two power wise.The 441 is much smoother to run.The only place where a 460 is the hands down winner is when you go to a 28 or 32 inch bar and get into some really big wood.The 441 revs faster and just a little higher than a 460,but the 460 makes more power down low and through the mid-range.
I've had two 441's so far.I still have the first one,and I traded the other off to Joatmon for another saw.The first one never gave any problem other than it got hard to start when the engine was hot and it was hot outside.The first one hardly runs now,it needs a new top end.It lasted as long as expected.The second one started running dangerously lean right about the time it got fully broke in.I took it back to the dealer and problem was solved.He said that it had an air leak but never said where and I didn't ask.Between the two which one would I choose?The 460 just because I have so many old ones around for parts and the handles on the 460 seem to fit me better.However I would be happy with the 441 as well.Both are tough to beat

Like the Original Poster I'm looking forward to putting together some money for a 70cc Stihl. I really like the idea of a fuel-sipping, non bone-rattling, cancer-curing saw!!:) Seriously though the video of the 460 and the 441 early in the thread is very telling. Not a noticable difference for the average user. You'd really have to put a stopwatch to the cuts to find a significant difference in cut times. Certainly it wouldn't be enough to change my mind one way or the other.

Face it chainsaws just plain rock! :rocker:

These responses show how different owner, users, and shops can have very different advice to give. My most local dealer said he's sold "tons" of 441s and has, so far, had zero come back. He claims that he's had nothing but satsifaction from those who bought them. I guess that isn't a report on how he likes or does not like to work on them, since he hasn't according to what he told me.

Mine is only 8 months old, and to tell the truth I haven't got significant time on it, maybe a couple cords of wood. It is the nicest running saw I've had, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. My experience has been that it is everything advertised. I have seen no problem with the air filter cover clips.

seems this thread has become a test between a 460 and 441, that wasn't the question really. A 441 would fill the gap nicely or a 460 would be good or a 361 and a 660 or ???????? I have run a 460 and the one I ran put your hands to sleep quickly.

I never pay much attention to the anti-vibe claims on any of the newer saws. But a couple of weeks ago, one of our linemen let me run his 441 and I have to say that I really like the extra dampening. I think I want one.

Latest posts

Back