MS 460 blows crank rod bearing after dyno runs. Should have spent the extra $ on oem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a serious thing I've encountered with these AM parts. There are some that are of a very good quality and others that may look alike ain't worth a hill of beans.

This is a crankshaft that Weedeater man sent for a test.

Smarties on the work bench? The UPS store near me always has a bowl out full of them. Snag a tube each time I drop off a package...

Smarties on the work bench? The UPS store near me always has a bowl out full of them. Snag a tube each time I drop off a package...

Fireballs on my bench. SweetTarts or Smarties on Jon's.......it's just how we roll. :rock:

I'm confused, which bearing failed.. the center bearing that the crank rod is on and as stated in the title or a bearing that rides in the side of the case that the video shows?

Did you buy both the crank and the aftermarket case bearing from the same place? It looks to me like the crank and the rod bearing are OK and the case bearing is not? And now its spinning in the race?

This happens quite often in the 064 with OEM bearings if I'm not mistaken... and the older 066 as well and why the manufacturer updated the bearing in the MS660... correct?

So maybe the blanket statement that the aftermarket cranks are bad is not completely correct, but maybe the bearing may not be very good?

Not here to start a fight, I'm trying to get the facts straight so I can decide if I need to pull a product that I may be selling and not have all the correct information on.

Facts are a great thing to have. We should just remember to keep this civil. (I've been using that word a lot lately for some reason.) Randy, I'm not picking on you, it's a blanket statement. The first sign of poo slinging will learn the hard way.

Fireballs on my bench. SweetTarts or Smarties on Jon's.......it's just how we roll. :rock:

I'm more of a lemon drops kinda guy myself.

Facts are a great thing to have. We should just remember to keep this civil. (I've been using that word a lot lately for some reason.) Randy, I'm not picking on you, it's a blanket statement. The first sign of poo slinging will learn the hard way.

I'm more of a lemon drops kinda guy myself.

Run, it's the cops.

I'm right there with you. Just wanting to get the brand straight.... not all aftermarket parts are bad, just some. Its like saying that Ford's are better than Chevy's... just because that's my brand. And then posting in every thread how bad they are... even though I don't own one or ever have owned one..

Yes, I have owned a Chevy before, more than one.... and honestly don't care.

I'm right there with you. Just wanting to get the brand straight.... not all aftermarket parts are bad, just some. Its like saying that Ford's are better than Chevy's... just because that's my brand. And then posting in every thread how bad they are... even though I don't own one or ever have owned one..

Yes, I have owned a Chevy before, more than one.... and honestly don't care.

I don't mean to hurt your business. I use lots of am parts and had good luck with many. I really like meteor kits but probably shouldn't say much as the smoke just cleared from earlier. The crank I used must have had a defect from the begining. I love the fact that I can buy much less expensive parts for almost the same quality as oem.

I don't mean to hurt your business. I use lots of am parts and had good luck with many. I really like meteor kits but probably shouldn't say much as the smoke just cleared from earlier. The crank I used must have had a defect from the begining. I love the fact that I can buy much less expensive parts for almost the same quality as oem.

If it breaks or ain't worth a damn I say post it........if you are the guy that's using it.

This AM crank we are trying looks good.........but so did my first ol' lady. :msp_sad:

All we can do is try some of this stuff and see......if it's good, well then we saved money......if not we provide feedback and try to get some improvement.

If it breaks or ain't worth a damn I say post it........if you are the guy that's using it.

This AM crank we are trying looks good.........but so did my first ol' lady. :msp_sad:

All we can do is try some of this stuff and see......if it's good, well then we saved money......if not we provide feedback and try to get some improvement.

well that crank cant be no worse than the 2 piece that's in it now :msp_thumbup:

I say post it, we need to figure out whats good and what ain't! Did you contact HLSupply? What the pisser is that people post general statements about aftermarket stuff and not a specific aftermarket brand or product. The Mako 066 in 56mm are junk... the 54mm kit is a thing of beauty!

I don't go around saying that if OEM were so good, then why are you ever replacing it, they never have a problem... we know that ain't true either. Aftermarket parts do have there place, finding the right one may take several tries and helping each other get there is all part of the fun..

Got any pictures of the ex?

Last edited:
I say post it, we need to figure out whats good and what ain't! Did you contact HLSupply? What the pisser is that people post general statements about aftermarket stuff and not a specific aftermarket brand or product. The Mako 066 in 56mm are junk... the 54mm kit is a thing of beauty!

I don't go around saying that if OEM were so good, then why are you ever replacing it, they never have a problem... we know that ain't true either. Aftermarket parts do have there place, finding the right one may take several tries and helping each other get there is all part of the fun..

Got any pictures of the ex?

34o7ciq.jpg

Latest posts

Back