ms 462 finds is way to tree monkeys bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ... I’m just asking because you put it out there ... I’ve had good dealings with Jack - wasn’t aware of any eyebrow raising antics on his part ??? ... guess if you don’t wish to divulge any info that’s your Choice however one wood question why you wood bring up the subject to begin with ... I’m sure anyone that does enough business is going to have some issues ... the test is how the matter is handled
Im sure jack is a good guy. I just wonder if he knows hes got a gasbag like you singing his praises. Pretty poor marketing strategy.

Your right, it is.

Back to the thread.
I just learned Scott had another heart attack. He's back at home which is good, hope he gets healthy more than getting this saw ported.
Yeppers - rest up Crabby ... saw will be there for you later

440/460 hybrid in the same cant as the 462, same bar, chain and sprocket.

So 38.2sec for the 462c and around 39sec for the 440/460 hybrid - purty close ... my question wood be ... which is going to last the test of time ? We KNOW the older platform is STIHL throwing chips 10,20,30 YEARS later ... will the 462c be cutting in decades into the future ? If I had to venture a guess I’d say nope and for several reasons .......

Not a big fan of these “strato , turbo , controlled air leak saws “ ~ seems like an over- engineered design to appease the enviro-crats without corresponding Getty-up to the end user ...

I don't have one, because I like old saws, but given that the biggest gains in a 2-stroke seem to be the result of improved scavenging (that's half of what a tuned exhaust does), I would think that there is a lot of potential for power with a stratified charge.

I don't have one, because I like old saws, but given that the biggest gains in a 2-stroke seem to be the result of improved scavenging (that's half of what a tuned exhaust does), I would think that there is a lot of potential for power with a stratified charge.
Actually the spent exhaust is being chased out by clean air that has created a “barrier” between the fresh charge and the exhaust ... this is how they are able to use “20% less fuel and get 60% cleaner emissions “ a conventional engine wood lose a bit of the fresh charge out the exhaust ... that’s the biggest difference as I understand it ... some guys “gut or tunnel “ the stratos to get more fuel into the firing chamber - the problem I can foresee is that these “stratified charge “ engines run hotter and leaner than a conventional engine and most feature a non-adj carb ... your choice of mix oil is VERY important as is the quality of your fuel... field reports say these new saws are not getting the longevity of older models but ymmv! Out

Actually the spent exhaust is being chased out by clean air that has created a “barrier” between the fresh charge and the exhaust ...

That's what I meant by "improved scavenging".

this is how they are able to use “20% less fuel and 60% cleaner emissions “ a conventional engine wood lose a bit of the fresh charge out the exhaust ...

Not tossing charge out the exhaust definitely helps with the economy and emissions, but there is a better, cleaner burn as well with less residual exhaust, which is where the potential for power should lie. It seems to me that the strato designs have the potential to improve scavenging without having to have the front end of a tuned pipe.

That's what I meant by "improved scavenging".

Not tossing charge out the exhaust definitely helps with the economy and emissions, but there is a better, cleaner burn as well with less residual exhaust, which is where the potential for power should lie. It seems to me that the strato designs have the potential to improve scavenging without having to have the front end of a tuned pipe.
You’re not going to make more powa with less fuel without payin the piper somewhere ! Simple physics 101 ... the new saws run cleaner but also Leaner And Power really hasn’t increased since the 80’s and 90’s ... I have saws that are over 25 yrs old and will stock for stock ,cc for cc , hang with these newer “stratified engines” ... now the whole package isn’t as good what with av ; weight etc but for crissakes it’s a chainsaw - go cut some wood !

You’re not going to make more powa with less fuel without payin the piper somewhere !

More exhausted charge in the cylinder is less fuel...that's the importance of scavenging.

I'll leave it at that because I don't want to muck up the thread.

More exhausted charge in the cylinder is less fuel...that's the importance of scavenging.

I'll leave it at that because I don't want to muck up the thread.
huh ????????

huh ????????
The more exhaust remaining in the cylinder when the exhaust port closes, the less fuel there is in the cylinder for the next combustion cycle. There is a limit to the amount of exhaust that can be pushed out by conventional scavenging.

A tuned pipe will reflect a negative pressure wave to "pull" more exhaust (and ultimately charge) out of the chamber. Of course, the big benefit of a tuned pipe is that it will stuff some of that charge back into the cylinder, but that extra scavenging is a huge benefit too.

If the stratified system can push more exhaust out of the cylinder than conventional scavenging, then the engine can make more power.

OK...now I'm really done.

See the blue triangles chasing the grey triangles down the exhaust port?

Latest posts

Back